Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my multi (2012) very shortly and I have a question about the side stand. It's hard to tell from the parts manuals, what the side stand mounts onto? My garage is very narrow and I have to turn bikes on the side stand to get the back out. I've read on a few Ducatis that the side stand is directly bolted to the engine casing, and that doing this is generally a bad idea. Has anyone else had to do this long term? Or is the side stand mounted through the frame also?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have seen this many times by young riders on lets say crap bikes, its fun to watch but on an expensive bike like a Duc it would probably be a matter of time until you had a failure. Yes, I believe the side stand bolts to the engine.

Now, I don't understand something, if you can ride or push the bike in, why must you turn the bike to ride it or push it out? Seems a bit illogical to me but may be missing something? Perhaps there is a severe grade you can't push the bike up? That would make sense.

Mark

·
Registered
66 Posts
I see you have an 'S' ... should have a centre stand. Mine spins around nicely on the the smooth concrete floor when on the centre stand. MUch better load distribution on two heavier mounting points.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The sidestand mounts to a bracket that is bolted to the engine block. So does the center stand, although the center stand has better support (one side bolts to a bracket attached to the frame IIRC) and is more centered, which helps for how it's used.

My advice is: Back the bike out manually (or back it in).

Being attached to a bracket helps, but it still puts stress on the block. Mine is already bent so the bike leans way over. Not from spinning it, though - I am short, so it's a struggle to get a leg over (a three hop process, while I pull hard on the bars for leverage). I see the axle and bracket have been revised, so I'm going to see if I can get the shop to replace them under warranty. It's to the point now that I have to search for slopes and put the sidestand side of the bike on the high ground.

Notice in my avatar how the bike is parked? Not perpendicular like most riders would park, but parallel, so I can use the height of the curb. (29" inseam and cannot do Bruce Lee kicks).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have seen this many times by young riders on lets say crap bikes, its fun to watch but on an expensive bike like a Duc it would probably be a matter of time until you had a failure. Yes, I believe the side stand bolts to the engine.

Now, I don't understand something, if you can ride or push the bike in, why must you turn the bike to ride it or push it out? Seems a bit illogical to me but may be missing something? Perhaps there is a severe grade you can't push the bike up? That would make sense.

Mark
I've done it on my R1200GS, Street Triple R, GSXR 1000, ZX10R, Z1000, ZX7R, VFR 800, CBR 600F... Never had an issue with it at all. The Ducati store I got the bike from said they do this all the time and that it wouldn't be an issue.

Our driveway is about 100ft long and the surface is stones on a slight gradient with a ramp going up to the garage. The stone surface is a nightmare for bikes, the tyres just drag through it - it's very hard to push the bike forwards through them, backwards is almost impossible. The garage is just slightly too small for me to do a 100-point-turn with the bike inside.

Notice in my avatar how the bike is parked? Not perpendicular like most riders would park, but parallel, so I can use the height of the curb. (29" inseam and cannot do Bruce Lee kicks).
I have the same size inseam, I'm 5'4". I don't find the height an issue really. If on a camber, throw a leg over, push off the left foot whilst holding the front brake to get the bike upright and hop over to the other side whilst kicking the stand. It's sorta like gymnastics...

If you MUST turn the bike around please buck up and get one of these: Black Widow Sport Bike / Motorcycle Dolly | MC-Dolly | DiscountRamps.com .
I was looking at one of these http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/oncirrus/3/image/product/zoom/0123456789/0123456789/bik_centre-stdmover.jpg. If I'm doing that I may as well wait a while and save for one of these - Motorcycle Central Paddock Stand BM Ducati Multistrada 1200 2015 | eBay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts