Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not sure about this and I truly wonder about it.

My 2013 Multi, when on the side kick stand looks as if it will fall over.

I don’t dare to mount it on the side stand either.
I’ll post a picture as soon as I get the chance to show you what I’m talking about.

However can anyone provide a rear view shot of their Multi on the side stand for comparison?
Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was just thinking that today too when I was looking at it in the garage. I have an 18, but I think they are mounted on the bike in the same way. I think I might just start using the center stand to park it from now on. Thats what the manual suggests

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've felt that way frequently about my '10. Next time I'm out and about, I'll get you a decent pic. It's most pronounced when I'm set 2-up and 2-up w/ bags because I have the rear preload maxed out with those two.

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
Mine too short. Considering adding a foot just to get some height. But they don’t add much.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Mine leans way more than all my other bikes. Partly makes me nervous, but partly I like it because I can swing my leg over easier.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My Link app told me today that my 2015 is at a 16 degree lean-angle when on the side stand. I need to be more cognizant of where I park this bike because it doesn't take much of a slope to make the bike look like it's going to fall over.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I feel like my '14 leans over too far as well. I'll probably get a side stand foot for it at some point.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CAEBB522-8E28-424D-9F69-6ED8357FAF69.jpeg

Here is that lean that I’m talking about.
And this is on level ground.

I feel that if a put any weight on it while trying to saddle up it would simply tip over.
Add any weight to the bags and forget about it.

Center stand is a great add on for this bike.

I’ve never had any other bike like this one, with this issue.
Not sure if there is a fix?

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,823 Posts
Yes, it leans over further than other bikes but mine has never been unstable nor look like it was about to fall over. You have the right idea, not mounting it on the sidestand.

·
Registered
88 Posts
View attachment 926115

Here is that lean that I’m talking about.

And this is on level ground.

I feel that if a put any weight on it while trying to saddle up it would simply tip over.

Add any weight to the bags and forget about it.

Center stand is a great add on for this bike.

I’ve never had any other bike like this one, with this issue.

Not sure if there is a fix?

I agree, it leans a lot as does my 2010. I always assumed that it was so that if loaded with luggage it would compress the suspension making it stand up more up right just as it does if you sit on it while on the side stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
It depends on where you are. In the flat lands, yes the side stand length matters. But in the mountains you are always parking on unlevel ground so it’s up to you to situate the bike to get the proper parking angle. It’s true. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tonight I found a great solution to this issue.
Or at least a start to solve it.

I put a section of a 2x4 under the foot and it was perfect. Rock solid and stable. Stable to the point that I could put all my weight onto the left side foot peg with confidence by standing upright on it.

So now I’ll fabricate something, perhaps from aluminum or plastic, light weight but strong.

I suggest anyone give the “2x4” test a shot it you have the same concern as I had.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ive had mine for 6 years. Never had an issue with it falling over. Your’s doesnt look any more of an angle than my 2012.

A couple thoughts.

If the side stand was longer, then when you are on slightly hilly terrain then the bike would be at its balance point and could tip the other way. I’ve had to park in some precarious positions where I was a bit concerned due to the angle, turning the bike in the other direction would have made it lean to far over (even further than your pic)

Turning your steering wheel the other way, instead of against the lean, will make it lean less. I personally don’t cock the steering that much in the opposite direction

If you’re that concerned about it, convince yourself by having a helper stand on the side, then you go over to the other side and push on it quite a bit to get some confidence. I can assure you that if the bike is in gear you aren’t going to push it over. I’ve turned bikes around on side stand before and you’ve got to work pretty hard to tip one agains the angle of the side stand.

One caution, if its new asphalt, or if its gravel on a mountain road, take one of those side stand wider base plates (like a thin piece of hard plastic or coaster, etc) with you to make the surface area a lot bigger. Soft hot asphalt or damp muddy gravel will sink. I keep one in my top case.

Using the center stand on anything but level ground is asking for trouble too. The first time you get slightly off balance or have a wet boot that slips off that center stand peg, your going to drop it away from you and not have the leverage to keep it steady (dont ask me how i know).

I’ve had a lot of bikes, the side stand has never been an issue on any of them. Trust Ducati engineering, they aren’t going to put a sub par side stand on the bike and have angry owners dropping them everywhere.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Or, if the stand is too long, you won’t be able to get it down just pulling off to the side on a crowned road. It can be a real pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m going to rig on a quick test subject and see if I’m heading in the right direction with this thinking.
Stand by for updates.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I think you would find it much harder to knock the bike over on its sidestand than it may look. There is a lot of bulk up high on the modern MTS, but that bulk is mainly hollow plastic bits. All the weight is down between the wheels, or just above them. Unless you're parked on the sort of incline most riders avoid parking any motorcycle on, it's not going anywhere.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ducs are notorious for falling over on the side stands, especially on very hot days when on asphalt. My ST scared me, so I went to Desmotimes and got a longer side stand. Allegedly for Monsters, but fit a ST when you grind it down for exhaust interference.

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,823 Posts
Ducs are notorious for falling over on the side stands, especially on very hot days when on asphalt.
Hot asphalt can be an issue for any bike. Admittedly, I'm not aware of an issue where the Multistrada is notorious for falling over. I've read about some of the other models having issues with the side stand but I don't recall it being b/c the stand was too short (with the exception of the very early Multistrada).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts