Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Friends,
I own a 2008 Ducati Sport Classic Biposto and I was looking to add an Ohlins steering damper side-mount. I understand that there is one currently available for the Monster, I haven't seen one for the SC.
Are there any side-mount damper kits out there for the SC? Would a Monster kit fit onto my bike. I would much appreciate feedback from the readership. Thanks a lot.
Salieri

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Hello Friends,
I own a 2008 Ducati Sport Classic Biposto and I was looking to add an Ohlins steering damper side-mount. I understand that there is one currently available for the Monster, I haven't seen one for the SC.
Are there any side-mount damper kits out there for the SC? Would a Monster kit fit onto my bike. I would much appreciate feedback from the readership. Thanks a lot.
Salieri
Unfortunetly there is no ohlins kit available for the SC line. Trust me, i searched for about 6 months AFTER i bought the ohlins damper only to be dissapointed inquiry after inquiry. Finally found a harley 1200 sportster racing ohlins kit that fit the frame diameter (sort of..) it was close.. Real close.. Had to get creative but the end result was awesome. Worth the patient wait.

Your options are- storz dampers has a kit, sel motion sells a kit. But its their own damper not ohlins. And last time i checked no way they would sell just the frame bracket. Could be one more company out there selling a kit. Dont know.

Id get a top mounted damper. Little costly but JC sells a complete kit and you'll be completly giddy of overall apearence and stability. Good luck !!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Many threads on this... I like my storz damper, they are for race bikes, so be sure to call and tell him you want it for your Duc SC street not race use and they will sort it for you before sending. Some got the race dampers and sent them back to be sorted after as they were to stiff for street use. Even valve sorted for street use, you don't need it set high to feel it. Mine has a black cyclyinder - it matches my bike best I think. I think if you call you can request black or stainless. It's cheap insurance. I had one head shake and bought it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Fare Warning,
What type of Ohlins damper did you pick up for your bike? Can you buy a Storz or Sel Motion side mount kit and substitute their version of the steering damper with an Ohlins one? If so, any recommendations on which Ohlins to buy? Thanks again,
Salieri

·
Registered
4 Posts
OEM Duc Steering damper woes on MH900e

G'day all

I have been perusing this thread looking for some joy - the damper on my MH900e is shagged and I have been going out of my nut trying to find a replacement - Ohlins don't make then anymore apparently. Does anyone know of a viable option for replacing this unit? I guess it would only have to be the same stroke & diameter to do the job, anyway I am definitely open to any suggestions.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
The damper is easily found as it is a 63mm stroke
the brackets is what can get tricky
See the pdf link
It has part number sand you may be able to piece together a kit from Ohlins
http://www.ohlins.com/Products/MountingInstructions/MI_SD156.pdf

G'day all

I have been perusing this thread looking for some joy - the damper on my MH900e is shagged and I have been going out of my nut trying to find a replacement - Ohlins don't make then anymore apparently. Does anyone know of a viable option for replacing this unit? I guess it would only have to be the same stroke & diameter to do the job, anyway I am definitely open to any suggestions.

Cheers

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yep...barely

Has anyone tried this damper ,side mount ,and will my frame sliders be in the way any info would be good Thanks
I have a side mount damper that was made in the UK (sorry...name currently escaping me) that looks just like the Storz side mount kit. It clears my frame sliders....but just barely. There is maybe 3/16 inch (5mm) clearance between the under side of the slider and the rod. Works fine. Then again I suppose different brands of sliders could have different diameters for the slider puck...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts