Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Other than color, is there a difference between the Paul Smart and the 1000s side panels? It'll be paired with an Airtech half-fairing.
2) Is there an aftermarket solution or am I stuck with Ducati?
3) Anyone wants to sell theirs?

Thanks

Nimi

·
Registered
603 Posts
I think they are the same. Be careful on the install. I saw a set come from a dealer on a bind and it caused a crack. Had to re- drill the hole in the bracket to relax the panel.I think they are a nice touch.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Damn those red 1000s with side fairing are sharp. I have a GT1000 and 999s, but the more I see those red 1000s the more I am convinced that is the bike in the long run which will end up in my garage. Beautiful.

I think they are the same. Be careful on the install. I saw a set come from a dealer on a bind and it caused a crack. Had to re- drill the hole in the bracket to relax the panel.I think they are a nice touch.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Damn those red 1000s with side fairing are sharp. I have a GT1000 and 999s, but the more I see those red 1000s the more I am convinced that is the bike in the long run which will end up in my garage. Beautiful.
Well I almost hate to do this to you, but here are some beauty shots for ya. Sorry

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Just a second to that and a follow on! Do not install/remove the fairings with the bike sitting on the side stand. It will cause the bolts to bind. Put the bike on a center stand, in a wheel chock or have someone hold it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
its going to take a little fab work to make the airtech work with the oem stuff

you could use flexi glass and sell you airtech upper

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you could use flexi glass and sell you airtech upper
Actually I am in the market for the full set, I just knew of Airtech and per Chris Gorel, the quality. Have you used the Flexiglass competition lower and upper? I'd much rather buy a kit.

On fabrication, Chris Spohn will do all the work.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
i haven't but most of the sport classics in motogt are using the flexi stuff.
pm fastfrank (touring sport ducati) he can answer those questions.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just one question: why?
Bly, my friend, I am running out of shit to do to it.

Actually, I always had a hard-on for the full-faired version of the PS and 1000s, no idea why. Totally visual. I can rationalize it, but if I started doing that, oy! How do I justify the last $10K spent on the bike. Geoff Rossi's faired "GT" was the proverbial straw. The GT tank, in my opinion, goes great with the fairing. And with help of people on this forum, it appears to be not that big of the project. So while my dealership puts in a big-bore kit, cams, etc. this Winter, the body shop will work on the fairing...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Nimi, You have a GT right? If so can side fairings be put on the GT, or are you just going to put on the front headlight fairing?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just one question: why?
Cause it'll be cool .. like the other side of the pillow.

Nimi - I say, 'carry out the plan of the day, sir' ... and post some pics!!

Bout the only reason I bought an S was so i could put the side fairings on it. Cant stand the sea-foam green frame on a PS or I would have had one sooner.

I just finished my CB750 build and now I want (at least) to try and fit a 900ss style half fairing on it. Yeah, come on!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is another example sent by fastfrank 38 (thanks ps1k). Check out the pristine bodywork and how well it integrates with the rear end. Dressed to ride!

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Nimi, if you can pull off installing fairings on the GT I am going to have to take a ride to PA take a look see. Do you have the front fairing on yet? Please post pics as you go. thanks

·
Registered
603 Posts
Here is another example sent by fastfrank 38 (thanks ps1k). Check out the pristine bodywork and how well it integrates with the rear end. Dressed to ride!
Sorry ,I see no motorcycle in this picture. I see a very nice leg, hooked to a very nice looking girl / but no bike.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
tread carefully...

nimi,

i too went down the path of the lower kit on a gt and ran into some difficulties - thought i might offer some words of caution...

through the good folks on this forum, i picked up a paul smart upper, a chris spohn fairing stay and a pair of pristine red lowers and set to work on my project.

chris's stay went on perfectly (nice piece of work) but the controls don't work so well with the 07 sport risers (much cutting of the fairing returns required - see other threads about this). i couldn't quite live with the short 06 clip-ons (ouch to my back) but i figured if this was the only problem i could probably figure it out....

the lowers need to be cut/carved to follow the different profile of the gt tank bottom - some patience and a dremel took care of this. you will need to fabricate clips to attach the mate-point of upper to lower as the 1000s tank has lugs on the bottom to bolt the fairings to - how hard could that be? the bottom of the lowers also doesn't match the peg/controls correctly and there was some bending/torquing going on - some more custom attachment clips could correct this. the real problem came after i had everything mounted up and sat on the bike...

the gt tank is about 1 1/2" shorter than the sport tank, so the back of the lowers creep into the knee cutouts of the gt tank and bumped smack into my knees. and if you were to move the fairing forward by tweaking the stay, the bottom of the lowers wouldn't match the engine cases as the whole setup moves as a unit and needs to match the engine/controls/bars/headlight/tank relationship together. the only way i could see fixing this would be to cut and re-build back edge of the lowers. i was totally bummed because the amount of work needed to re-do the whole back edge was more than i was prepared for.

interestingly, when i stepped back and looked at it, i actually wasn't excited about the look either - something about the proportions just seemed off with the rest of the gt, and if felt heavy up front. and with the gt side panels it started feeling like too much bodywork. so i spent many hours looking at upper/lower fairing designs from a lot of classics/customs and this is why i went with the 900ss half-fairing. something about the long, horizontal lines worked for me visually.

i've attached a couple of pics - they're crappy and taken in my garage late at night, but you'll start to get an idea of how it might look. i've also attached pics that show how maybe the paint job could get it to work for you...

if you do decide to go through with it (you may figure out a way to make it look/work better than i could) i would suggest the airtech setup as it has an integral belly pan. oh, and the airtech stuff is meant to work as a set - look at the attached pic: the mate-line between the "upper" and the "lower" is quite a bit below the stock 1000s setup - i don't think you could get a 1000s upper to match without a lot of work.

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
GTRossi,
Your bike looks amazing Do you have any other pictures with the fairing on? Also, do you notice the bike rides better, cuts the wind better with the fairings? Also, do you think the fairings will increase tope speed? Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts