Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search and couldn't find the answer, but I did try.

ON the MTS1200 side boxes, do they come in two different sizes? Any thoughts from owners? One size vs. other.

The top box, buy direct from Givi or get from Ducati?

Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
163 Posts
From the looks the bigger sides look huge but do look like they hold alot but the small ones are good for everything I carry. The top I just went with the Ducati one only because they deal gave me a little off when I bought the bike

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
Your call on the top box but it is a Givi; says so inside! I went with the Ducati and bought it with the bike as it's color matched, but I suspect the Givi is the same (or very similar box) and can be had for a bit less. You can also research other options like Hepco Becker, etc. But if you want it to look like a pair of expensive Italian shoes, just but the Ducati. It does come with the mounting plate, which (if I recall) you will need to buy as a separate item (if from Givi, for example) so you can do the math on it. A nice thing about the Duc box is that you already have the lock cylinder for it, so it all works off of one key. It is good sized box, mounts very securely and looks good so no regrets.

It's an easy install if you do it yourself with one caveat; in my kit the instruction book shows the wrong fasteners for mounting the brackets. It drove me batty for an hour until I googled some pictures of a mounted top box
and realized the illustration in the instruction manual was a little goofy. After that, piece of cake.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

I'll probably opt for the ducati top box specifically for the reasons you site.

So any links to the two side boxes in the different sizes. I'd think the standard would be sufficient, but coming off a wing I like LOTS of storage space.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahh I looked at the ducati site, I note the standard side boxes are 58 liter and you can buy hinged lids to increase the size to 73liters. That's a good option, I can just wait to see if I need the extra space later.

Chris

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
They are decently sized. The right one is smaller to clear the pipe and they are a bit like Italian shoes. Handsome but a little flimsy. I will get liners for mine when I head out this spring so they can stay on the bike when I get off it. The top box is nice for the capacity it adds.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
496 Posts
I went with the OEM set up

My touring version came with the side bags and I got the Ducati top box and I am happy with the set up. One key fits all and the top box gets a lot of use. The side bags were a little finicky at first but they work well enough and look good on the bike. I will get the expanded top's if I start to do a lot more long distance touring I am happy with the current set up.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
+1 ^

I have both side and top from Ducati and am very happy. Having said that, I hardly ever use the side cases as the top case is enough 95% of the time. Bonus is it holds 2 full face helmets when you stop for lattes with your girl :D

·
Registered
805 Posts
The ducati top box rocks! I use it almost 100% of the time. I have the standard side cases which go on for long trips or if I have much to carry. They look good and fit on/off very easily. Occasionally I think about getting the bigger lids... But not so often...

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Motorcycle.com App

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
I'm going to assume none of the respondents (except me?) has owned anything like BMW system cases. If you have a Wing, then I'm going to say you will find the Ducati panniers a little light. They have some stuff going on that wouldn't fly on a BMW (or I suspect Honda). For one thing, the right case won't "stand up" if you put it on the floor. It flops over because it's oddly weighted and shaped. That's an annoyance to me. For another, one of the latches on my right case already broke off. They are very lightly constructed; good and bad I guess. Good if you carry them, but they don't instill great confidence in me because of that latch. The service guy said he'd never seen that before, and I'll buy that but he can't say it to the next guy who pops one now.

Also, I disagree that they mount/dismount easily. They are a bit harder to get on and off, especially off than I am used to. You have to give them a sharp "thud" with the palm of your hand to slip them out. Every time I do that, they impact the turn signals. This would be a no go on a BMW.

Having seemingly panned them here, I will say they are very, very pretty and mount securely enough that they are not a worry. I do expect my latch issue will not be repeated, and it will be an easy fix once I get the part, but I think that if you are used to durable "luggage style" panniers you will find them just a bit lighter than what you already have experience with. I've read here and elsewhere that bag liners are a good idea, and I can already see that they will be in my future. I give them an A plus for style and a B- for durability (so far) but agree that the top case looks like a real winner. Givi stuff is generally very good quality.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I'm going to assume none of the respondents (except me?) has owned anything like BMW system cases. If you have a Wing, then I'm going to say you will find the Ducati panniers a little light. They have some stuff going on that wouldn't fly on a BMW (or I suspect Honda). For one thing, the right case won't "stand up" if you put it on the floor. It flops over because it's oddly weighted and shaped. That's an annoyance to me. For another, one of the latches on my right case already broke off. They are very lightly constructed; good and bad I guess. Good if you carry them, but they don't instill great confidence in me because of that latch. The service guy said he'd never seen that before, and I'll buy that but he can't say it to the next guy who pops one now.

Also, I disagree that they mount/dismount easily. They are a bit harder to get on and off, especially off than I am used to. You have to give them a sharp "thud" with the palm of your hand to slip them out. Every time I do that, they impact the turn signals. This would be a no go on a BMW.

Having seemingly panned them here, I will say they are very, very pretty and mount securely enough that they are not a worry. I do expect my latch issue will not be repeated, and it will be an easy fix once I get the part, but I think that if you are used to durable "luggage style" panniers you will find them just a bit lighter than what you already have experience with. I've read here and elsewhere that bag liners are a good idea, and I can already see that they will be in my future. I give them an A plus for style and a B- for durability (so far) but agree that the top case looks like a real winner. Givi stuff is generally very good quality.
To quote Colin Chapman, "An increase in horsepower will make you faster on the straights, but a reduction in weight will make you faster everywhere."

Remember, Ducatis are not tractors, they are performance machines - and there is a price to pay for that.:)

·
Registered
379 Posts
A couple more things...

I haven't seen these "Ducati side case" issues mentioned so I'll mention them:

1. The LIDS are different for the two sizes. It is not hard to switch the lids: I use the larger lids for longer trips.

2. The "tabs" that slide into the "sockets" in the bike are prone to "punching" out the socket if you drop the bike onto the case. I've replaced two of the "side pieces" on the bike after drops (yeah, I drop it a lot...hey, it's an ADV bike, right?).

3. IMHO the cases are stronger than they look. In my hoarfrost crash one case fell 200 feet down a Colorado mountain yet survived (bike was totaled).

If I keep the Multi I'm thinking about going to top-loading cases.

--Doc

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
To quote Colin Chapman, "An increase in horsepower will make you faster on the straights, but a reduction in weight will make you faster everywhere."

Remember, Ducatis are not tractors, they are performance machines - and there is a price to pay for that.:)
I'm usually one who enjoys getting the last lick in, but in the interest of equanimity and because I haven't toured with them yet, I'll reserve judgment (unless another latch breaks:D) and add Colin Chapman's most famous line in respect to his design philosophy:

"Simplify and add lightness."

·
Premium Member
12,388 Posts
touratech has some bullettproof cases...

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FUnny you should mention, my friend has the boxes on his 07 mts and I think they're very similar, and in fact a few months back the one box that wouldn't stand up by itself fell over and scuffed his paint.

The boxes are definately quirky, but I do like the givi top box.

Haven't heard anyone, any leaking issues in heavy rain?

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I have the DP (Givi) top box and love it! Very good quality and very easy install. I keep the top box on for daily use and throw my panniers on for longer trips. As far as the panniers, you can buy larger lids to increase capacity. I guess it depends on how much room you need, how heavy you pack and if you have a pillion. You may want the larger capacity panniers, but in my case the smaller ones work just fine!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey Dr. Greg: can you advise which top loading cases you would purchase if you were going to purchase them? Are there any out there that have some style to them or are they all square boxes? Tough, but ugly....thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
36 Posts
I modified a set of BMW brackets to fit the SW Motech carriers on my bike and mounted these Hepco Becker panniers. Great boxes that will take a beating and can be used for seats or tables. (great billboards for stickers too)

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
Get the liners too

I ponied up for the DP liners that fit the side boxed and they make the whole process easy.You never have to touch the panniers when you get to your destination. Just open , pull out the bags and latch it back up. If I ever start off roading the Multi I may get some heavier bags but for now the stock that came with the Multi work fine and look great.

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
I ponied up for the DP liners that fit the side boxed and they make the whole process easy.You never have to touch the panniers when you get to your destination. Just open , pull out the bags and latch it back up. If I ever start off roading the Multi I may get some heavier bags but for now the stock that came with the Multi work fine and look great.
I think this is going to be my plan; to get the DP liners form my dealer this spring, and I think that will be a good resolution. I used the top box today and really enjoyed it's capacity. It's a trunk!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts