Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know the max carrying weight of the sidebags on the st? i'm turning on into a emergency kit, (spare fuel, oil, tools) and right now it's at just under 30 lbs total w/ bag.

i took it for a 100 mile run today with no problems but i don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere and jettison a bag. :eek:

thanks

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Check the inside of the bags for safety stickers, etc. I am sure there is a warning in there somewhere, although it will probably be in kilograms.

·
Registered
274 Posts
In July I on ST4 and wife on MTS1000 went north to Washington. I had 25 lbs in each bag and 20 in the tank bag. Hit 90 mph several times on 395 in CA. It'll work..I have also run a nylon strap around bag and mount. Manual does say 20 lbs max.
Dolph Eley

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
In July I on ST4 and wife on MTS1000 went north to Washington. I had 25 lbs in each bag and 20 in the tank bag. Hit 90 mph several times on 395 in CA. It'll work..I have also run a nylon strap around bag and mount. Manual does say 20 lbs max. Dolph Eley
High speeds and over loading may come with a price. The mounting rack for one of Mark Turbo's side bags broke in three places at 72,000 miles. That was the same trip where he noticed a bearing in his engine was going :>(

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I have had around 25 lbs max and would not want to run more.

Spare fuel ?? I would not go that far. Lose the oil too you are not going to the Moon ;-)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Bill you are correct!! With that said, there is a price to pay for speeding on your ST, or having too little air in the tires of my 748, or carrying a fat passenger on the 900ss/sp, or not adjusting the chain properly on the Multi. I wonder what kind of "safety factor" Ducati built into the mounts and bags? Oh well, the spawn of Satan's strumpet will release us all from impending law suits!! :)
Dolph Eley

·
Registered
688 Posts
Those bags are pretty handy. One day I hauled a Webster's Unabridged. It barely fit. Just last week I hauled a chunk of petrified tree that just barely fit. In the other side a box of rusty tools that just barely fit. I don't really worry about weight. Its more about what fits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts