Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I became the proud owner of a Ducati Monster S4r an 05 model in blue with 4,000 miles on the clock.
It was a JH Powersport ex demo then was bought by a Kidderminster owner
It has a USB Power commander, K & N air filter, and JHP twin can carbon exhaust, all tuned and set up by JHP. The previous owner looked after it very well and serviced it regularly and personally.
He changed the Belts in 08 with 2,695 miles done, the original belts where near to perfect, using genuine Kevlar belts and tensioned using the frequency method tool.
I bought and picked it up on 6th July 09, did 300 miles approx then returning from Donington after GP it drew to a halt in 100 yards like I put diesel fuel in, but didn’t. AA checked it found nothing but did get it going for 3 seconds, then starter wouldn’t turn. Had to be transported home.
Checked it thoroughly with no result. Decided to take cam covers off inquisitively.
Shock… The horizontal belt was still on the pulleys but was a rag mess split and shredded the total length of the belt. As per photo.
Couldn’t believe what I saw, for the mileage, as the top end could also be damaged.
Owned the bike for 21 days and this happens, shocked, totally peed off summers wrecked ,and skint.
Advice and related comments would be appreciated.
Sorry it’s a long read, but first post on here. Would have preferred to comment on quality.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
That's bad news hotch743, and unfortunately could well work out to be very expensive indeed if there is top end damage.

When you say he serviced it personally, that's ringing alarm bells. Ducatis can be very easy to work on if you know what you're doing, but if you muck up a belt change the consequenses are dire.....

Him saying that they were done using the frequency method is all very well, but did he use the correct equipment? Some guys use their computers & a microphone along with a frequency analysing program, that can work, but depends on how good the mic & the program are. Other people use guitar tuners and again some tuners are little more than junk. If the belt is split along the length of itself, it sounds like it was not tensioned correctly, or maybe the eccentric tensioners weren't tightened up after tensioning the belt and it has slipped off the rollers.

Have you got the bike in a dealers to be looked at?

Also, for some help closer to home, try looking in at www.ducatisti.co.uk , you might find there is someone who knows what they are doing not too far from you who can pop in & have a look at the bike for you.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Just noticed you're in Yorkshire. There is a guy called John Cellier, goes by the trade name Ducati John http://www.ducati-john.co.uk/ in Rothwell, near Leeds, who is very well respected & is a lot cheaper than a main dealer. Might be worth giving him a bell to see if he can help?

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Just because the belts were tensioned properly, doesn't mean something else didn't go wrong. I've tensioned belts properly and have had a belt failure due to an improper shim used behind the pulleys that in the service manual, says it needs to be there. The Desmoquattro service manuals have odd-ball stuff like that in them and unless you know how to fix Ducati's, the manual might throw you off.

BTW, usually when belts snap, you need a head re-build. So wherever you go, be prepared to dish out some dough. :(

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
442 Posts
Likely the belt was tensioned with the eccentric pulley rotated clockwise rather than the required counterclockwise position. This often sets the eccentric pulley crooked which runs the belts off track and destroys them.

Jerry
04 ST4s

1 - 5 of 5 Posts