Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the dealer replace my fork seals during the desmo service ('15 DVT). The bushings were...absolutely shredded. I don't mean worn down. I mean worn down, then wire brushed, then gouged with a dental tool. I should have taken a photo but I was eager to give them all my money and get my bike back.

Anyone else shred a bushing like this? The tech said the inner and outer tube were fine. And the front end is much smoother now with fresh oil/seals/bushings.

Related: There is a shitload of info and opinions on what oil is required in sachs forks. Dealer said they put in maxima 5w.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I had a fork seal fail at 35,000+ and there was a puddle of oil under the fork leg. I have a local Ohlin guy, so he replaced the seals/oil. I have the shock/forks serviced every year while I’m doing the major service, so I haven’t had an issue since. Yes, yearly. I ride a lot…..my ‘12 has 120,000+ on her.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My previous 15 shredded a fork bushing and required both inner and outer tubes. It's pretty hard to believe they weren't damaged.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My `16 had leaking seals at 5k and 11k. First dealer just replaced the seals and said the forks were fine. Second time a different dealer felt the fork leg had a manufacturing surface defect that was chewing up the seal and bushing, got a new lower leg under an extended warranty. Bushings were worn far more than I would have expected after 6k miles although not chewed up, but probably would have been if I had let it go longer.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
I had to have fork tubes replaced on my 15s... there is a coating on the tubes that wears off and then eats bushings.

prepare for some sticker shock.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a fork seal fail at 35,000+ and there was a puddle of oil under the fork leg. I have a local Ohlin guy, so he replaced the seals/oil. I have the shock/forks serviced every year while I’m doing the major service, so I haven’t had an issue since. Yes, yearly. I ride a lot…..my ‘12 has 120,000+ on her.
Whoa! You're gettin' it! I thought 43,000miles was a lot.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to have fork tubes replaced on my 15s... there is a coating on the tubes that wears off and then eats bushings.

prepare for some sticker shock.
The tech said the tubes were fine. The difference between a fork oil change and new seals/bushings/etc is about $120. So it may just be new bushings every 15-20k. Not that I expect to have the bike that long...

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
This just doesn’t sound right. I can’t figure how the bushings became bad without screwing everything else up at the same time. Bushings normally last quite a while, even on dirt bikes.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
This just doesn’t sound right. I can’t figure how the bushings became bad without screwing everything else up at the same time. Bushings normally last quite a while, even on dirt bikes.
Agree it's odd... bushings do wear out but they don't look "shredded" even when they're at end of life. Shredded only happens if something shreds them.

·
comrade moderator
27,424 Posts
Right, and if the bushings got shredded and nothing was changed then you can expect to revisit this problem via leaky seals soon.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Did it look like this?

This was the "dummy side" on my 2013 MTS GT at close to 30k

t_bare

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Agree it's odd... bushings do wear out but they don't look "shredded" even when they're at end of life. Shredded only happens if something shreds them.
I had the 15K service which included bushings and seals. All good at 25K miles. Good damping.

Those pics look horrible. JFC

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
“Something is happening here and you don’t know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones ?”- Dylan

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
793 Posts
Leaking seal and dealer found bad bushing so replaced seals, bushing, and outer fork tube (which was scored), all under warranty. '19 1260S.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'd have to check my log book, but mu bushing were changed a long time ago. My Ohlin guy my forks needed bushing, so.... He's also been saying that I'll need fork tubes 'soon'. He has polished them up some to make 'em last longer, but he said there is only so much he can do. DaveK: how much were the tubes?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts