Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we all agree, the original front forks on the GT1000 could be better..

So, shopping around and doing the research it seems the cheaper options are replacing the forks with some suitable showas from a S4R or similar, or replacing the internals with Andreani Cartridges.

Which would be the better option? Here in Australia they are roughly about the same price. Why?

Over to you, brains trust!

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
For the same $$ I would bet the andreani is slightly better than Stock showa's. Here in states used set of Showa's are a good bit cheaper and quicker swap/install. I bought a set from an S4r and they were pretty close to just right for my weight and riding. Few hrs to get them on..

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think we all agree, the original front forks on the GT1000 could be better..

So, shopping around and doing the research it seems the cheaper options are replacing the forks with some suitable showas from a S4R or similar, or replacing the internals with Andreani Cartridges.

Which would be the better option? Here in Australia they are roughly about the same price. Why?

Over to you, brains trust!
I installed the Andreani cartridges in my stock forks and have been very happy with the ride improvement.

I'm not sure how strong the Australian Dollar is versus the Euro, but I was able to exploit a relatively strong US Dollar and got a great price on my Andreani cartridges by purchasing them on eBay Italy. Even with shipping costs from Italy, I saved a few hundred dollars over what most distributors in the US were charging at the time. Perhaps you can get a better deal on them that way as well...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Unless you adapt a set of SBK Showas, no Showa will be very good; none of the 50 / 54 mm Showas are much good unless you modify them heavily. I thonk Andreani has a set that is a drop-in in the sport classic. Acc. to people in the know, the Andreani is a good kit, so that´s what I´d go for.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
I have the stock Showa adjustable forks in my DS1000 SS that is mostly track now and this past season put the Andreani cartridge in the GT that gets all the other saddle time.

The stock Showas with the preload cranked are a ton better than the stock GT forks in my opinion. The Andreani with springs for my weight feel a lot better than the SS's Showas. Unfortunately, since the springs and cartridges were done at the same time I'm not sure how much of the difference is proper springs and how much is the Andreani.

If you're of lighter heft and do fine with the stock springs, and your forks are dinged up or otherwise blemished, maybe I'd go with a Showa swap if the donor is clean and recently serviced.

If your stock forks are clean and you plan to change the springs anyway, I'd go Andreani, especially if cost is comparable to Showas.

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed the Andreani cartridges in my stock forks and have been very happy with the ride improvement.

I'm not sure how strong the Australian Dollar is versus the Euro, but I was able to exploit a relatively strong US Dollar and got a great price on my Andreani cartridges by purchasing them on eBay Italy. Even with shipping costs from Italy, I saved a few hundred dollars over what most distributors in the US were charging at the time. Perhaps you can get a better deal on them that way as well...
The Aussie dollar at the moment is weak against just about any currency. About two years ago it was roughly even with the USD. Today it's about 70 cents.....

Do you remember what trader you used???

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless you adapt a set of SBK Showas, no Showa will be very good; none of the 50 / 54 mm Showas are much good unless you modify them heavily. I thonk Andreani has a set that is a drop-in in the sport classic. Acc. to people in the know, the Andreani is a good kit, so that´s what I´d go for.
Yeah... that's what I was wondering. By the Showa's and have to spend dollars getting the up to speed anyway..

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the stock Showa adjustable forks in my DS1000 SS that is mostly track now and this past season put the Andreani cartridge in the GT that gets all the other saddle time.

The stock Showas with the preload cranked are a ton better than the stock GT forks in my opinion. The Andreani with springs for my weight feel a lot better than the SS's Showas. Unfortunately, since the springs and cartridges were done at the same time I'm not sure how much of the difference is proper springs and how much is the Andreani.

If you're of lighter heft and do fine with the stock springs, and your forks are dinged up or otherwise blemished, maybe I'd go with a Showa swap if the donor is clean and recently serviced.

If your stock forks are clean and you plan to change the springs anyway, I'd go Andreani, especially if cost is comparable to Showas.

Enjoy.
Thanks...

'Lighter heft'. :) I've heard of blokes like that.. :) But alas, not me...

·
Registered
818 Posts
I also bought my Andreani cartridges from Omnia and recommend them. Fast service and considerably better pricing (even with the DHL shipping) than anyone in the US offered. They are a very easy install as well. There is a great how to post on this forum. Now that I have done it, I think I could do it again in about an hour and a half. Most of the 3 hours I took the first time was wondering what I was doing wrong because it was so easy...

Terry

·
Registered
387 Posts
I bought from Omnia too.
If you want to get into the nitty gritty of spring rates for your weight, email Andreani direct, then order from Omnia with your recommended spring rate.

I think the main benefit/improvement from the Andreanis is having forks sprung for your weight.
The compression and rebound damping adjustment is very basic, sort of on/off rather than a noticeable change in damping from small adjustments, imo.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Thanks...

'Lighter heft'. :) I've heard of blokes like that.. :) But alas, not me...
*Ahem* that would be me. My assessment when I reviewed (scoured) all that was posted on this SC forum; namely, the benefit of shock upgrade will be more beneficially noticeable for heavier riders than lighter riders. Hence, I've downgraded the cost-benefit of this upgrade as I'm 150lbs. If others disagree, I'd wouldn't mind knowing weight and your experience with the various upgrades, Ohlins, Andreani, etc. Speaking of which a fellow member was selling his Ohlins recently at a very nice price. Yowza!

·
Registered
387 Posts
*Ahem* that would be me. My assessment when I reviewed (scoured) all that was posted on this SC forum; namely, the benefit of shock upgrade will be more beneficially noticeable for heavier riders than lighter riders. Hence, I've downgraded the cost-benefit of this upgrade as I'm 150lbs. If others disagree, I'd wouldn't mind knowing weight and your experience with the various upgrades, Ohlins, Andreani, etc.
Sunstar
If your sag numbers are within range using the stock forks, then I dont think you will notice a huge improvement from the Andreanis. Ohlins recommend static fork sag 20-30mm and rider sag 30-40mm.
I weigh 165 without gear. My sag numbers with the stock fork/springs were static sag 33mm and rider sag 55mm.

With the Hyperpro (one size fits all) progressive springs I got static sag 23mm, rider sag 30mm
These were too stiff for my weight (165lbs without gear) and touring application. (they're for sale, pm if interested)

Now running the Andreanis with 8.8N/mm springs and 3 turns on the preload adjusters.
Static sag 25mm and rider sag 35mm. Right in the middle of the Ohlins ballpark settings.
There's also adjustability with the Andreanis/Showas etc if you go from riding solo to carrying a pillion and/or luggage, just wind in the preload adjusters a turn or two to maintain correct sag....

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you can use S4R internals there is another option. Matris has cartridge kits for the S4R. I am using their kit in my 2010 Thruxton and it is absolutely stunning... I know I know, different bike blah blah blah. But I use their damper on my S4RS.... :wink2:

Seriously, it was night and day after installing the Matris kit! I beat on that poor bike too and I can hang with anybody in the twisties on it...

Here is the kit number for the S4R: F12D102R F12R / KIT FORK DUCATI MONSTER S4R

There is a dealer in your neck of the woods: Suspensions R Us now called Matris Australia I think

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your input!

150lbs.... I think I was 14 last time I was that weight!

I run .95 springs in most any other road bike I have. I'm 6'1' and about 200 to 220lb depending on the season.

I like the andreani idea.

A mate of mine has a set of showa's from a 999 cheap, problem is chrome on one of the sliders is stuffed. I wonder if the sliders on the stock GT1000 are compatible? That's be a n elegant solution, a simple swap of sliders.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Depending on the desired level of end progression i advise to reduce the oil level by 20mm using the Andreani cartridge...

The air gap should be like 140mm (measured without springs mounted)

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
I went with Andreani inserts and Bitubos for the rear shocks on GT. Wanted to keep it all Italian and save money too. Huge difference and totally happy with the upgrade. I had the Andreani adjusters anodized gray to keep with the rest of the bike's color theme. Got everything through JC.

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hypurone,

Matris now lists a F12 kit for the Sport Classics. It may very well be the same kit as the Monster, but I cannot say for sure. My GT1000 is in cold storage for the next 5 months, so I'm holding off ordering for now.

/M

1 - 20 of 24 Posts