Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Looking for some advice on what sealant to use between the threaded portion of the tube and the alloy lowers (spindle/ caliper mount)

Mine are stripped down and waiting to be cleaned before fitting the new Tarozzi tubes however I am unsure what the original pipe-thread sealant, which is white, should be replaced with.
I am sure others on this forum will have been here before and wondered what they used (and what to avoid)

Any help on this would obviously be appreciated !

Many thanks

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Loctite thread sealant should work fine for that. No need to do anything but seal, it’s not going anywhere.
Question: How hard was it to get the Tube to unscrew ? Did you have to use heat ? I have a tube with a Nick in the travel area. I’ve heard they were difficult to separate.

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
I always use loctite usually 272 red but would expect 242 blue to work fine as well. The loctite is used a bit heavy given the amount of threads to seal, more than the usual 1 drop. Loctite does 2 things hold the parts together as well as seal fluids. Quite often I use loctite where oil needs to sealed from passing threads (oil cooler lines,clutch basket bolts).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Loctite thread sealant should work fine for that. No need to do anything but seal, it’s not going anywhere.
Question: How hard was it to get the Tube to unscrew ? Did you have to use heat ? I have a tube with a Nick in the travel area. I’ve heard they were difficult to separate.
Oh yes, you need heat.... lots of it.:D

Remove lower adjuster from the lower mount. Also remove the tiny grub screw (T8 Torx) in the back.
I clamped the lower alloy part in an old Black and Decker workmate which has wooden jaws. Less chance of damage to the alloy.
I then used a gas blow torch. Heat the alloy till spit fizzles (technical term) on the surface.

Then using a long screw driver through the top holes on the tube try to unscrew. Anticlockwise.

If it doesn't move at all apply more heat...lots more heat. (smoke was coming out the tube like a chimney at this point)
If the tube moves then sticks apply more heat etc...
Don't be daunted it will come apart you just need to persist particularly with the heat side. Its tough but not that bad I stripped four legs yesterday quite quickly once I got the knack!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts