Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Matrix 998 and have been adjusting the forks to get a better combo of street and track...Does any one know a base line for a 185 to 195 rider?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
You really can't take a base-line from anyone else because every suspension component is different on each bike. Your showa's are probably the newest ones on a 998, so someone with a base 998 from 2001, probably has different valving and springs, which means their settings won't benefit you at all.

Suggestion: Take it to a track day and have someone at the track set it up for you. There is usually a track day suspension guru available and it will probably wind up being the best $40 bux you'll ever spend. Setting it yourself, isn't going to help if you don't know what to look for.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
68 Posts
Set up your sag, front and rear, first, you and a buddy can do it easily...search here or google it, there are THOUSANDS of articles, but the idea is: with you on the bike, just your weight will take up 1/4 to 1/3 of suspension travel, so the suspension can go up AND down over bumps...if you can't get the sag set correctly, you need different rate springs...set rebound so suspension returns to sag position, and that it doesn't go up past sag position and then settle back (too little rebound), or comes up too slowly...set compression adjuster 1/3 of adjustment out from full hard, as a starting point...ride carefully to see how it feels, adjust accordingly, but try your best to do only one adjustment at a time, then test, repeat...

This is not definetive, just some basic guide lines? but this is my job, so..
Any contradictions or comments are more than welcome!!!

Lots of articles written about this stuff, some WAY technical, some for the complete dummy..do your research and you'll be able to find stuff with complete pics...

AND you can take it to a track day and have a pro work on it...not to expensive, and some of the pros are really good! Great chance to test and retest!

In the end, it's your bike, and should ride the way you want it to!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you guys. I had a good setting for the track where it handled great but made so many adjustments recently to get it more streetable that I got screwed up in it all. Back to a base line is what I needed. I have had GP do my suspension; forks and rear shock on my ST4S at his shop in OR, and do adjustments at the track but I live like 12 hrs away from him and 6 hrs from Seattle area so I need to do as much as I can to get it sorted myself.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
185 Posts
This what your looking for

Hi
Greetings from the Sport Classic forum I was putting a post on your forum earlier (see 'Help') and I saw your post and this may help you
Go to this site
http://www.mad-ducati.com/
Click on technical and scroll down to suspension settings
The base line stuff is all there.
It's a great site have a look around in the tech stuff especially their home made bike stands - must go I'm off to our local DIY store for some pipes - see the site and you'll see what I'm on about:eek:

Regards Nick1000:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts