Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Come in Spinner :)
9,023 Posts
Just mask them off and apply oven cleaner and all the anodizing colour will come off leaving a matt alloy finish that you won't have to spend the rest of your life polishing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
with a little luck you can remove the color without destroying the anodization itself completly.
otherwise you get a surface with plain alu areas mixed whith anodization areas. thats ugly, and you have to step further.
so, time and temperature and and a cleaned surface is the key. (and the quality of the anodisation.)

·
9,023 Posts
It's not rocket science.
I use a small artists brush and work the surface gently with the caustic soda and watch the colour disappear then rinse off straight away.
It takes no time at all.

·
9,023 Posts
Probably a stupid question here... and I apologize, but what do you mean by "caustic soda"? Can you give a brand-name that you use?
"Caustic soda (also known as sodium hydroxide, lye or naoh) is a solid white, pearl product with the formula “NaOH”. It is a highly caustic base and alkali product, and if in contact with the skin can cause severe burns. It is a versatile product that can be found in a variety of processes."

·
Registered
2001 S4, 2000 750ie Sport
842 Posts
and if in contact with the skin can cause severe burns
I used to work in a bitumen plant.
Caustic burns the skin faster than hydrochloric acid.
Probably a stupid question here... and I apologize, but what do you mean by "caustic soda"? Can you give a brand-name that you use?
I used this stuff.
Don't know if you get this brand in the states but most good hardware shops will carry it.
Brown Fluid Drink Alcoholic beverage Tints and shades

It's granules that you mix with water.
5 minutes and a quick brushing while submerged will get rid of faded anodising.
Use gloves, rinse everything off afterwards.

·
Registered
99' 996
607 Posts
Best place to find it in US department stores, hardware or home improvement is in the drain cleaner section. There are quite a few brands of drain cleaners that are 100% lye powder. Or you can order it from amazon, oddly enough.

Liquid Rectangle Solvent Ingredient Logo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the info and images! I've never seen the Glitz product here (in the U.S.)
I tried the oven cleaner years ago on another product and it didn't work as well as I had hoped... Your fork caps look great!
Thanks again for sharing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts