Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

just had my '00 996 for a couple of weeks and notice a hesitation when I press the start button. By that I mean there is a delay before the starter begins to turn, almost as if it;s not getting enough current and the load has to build up a bit. then after a half second it finally begins to turn over.

I cleaned the battery terminals and cleaned the starter solenoid terminals. battery is less than a year old and registered 12.6 Volts at rest.

Is this lag on startup normal?

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Not normal. Check the connection to the starter motor for corrosion.

Verify the battery's OK by using jumper cables from your car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya, I cleaned all the connections at the battery and the solenoid.

battery is a year old but may not be that great. I'll check the battery. thanks shazaam.

·
Registered
923 Posts
make sure the car is not running.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Is the battery low on water? My 99 996 starts cranking immediately, but takes it a second to get to full cranking speed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've always thought to myself my starter isn't the most enthusiastic starter I've ever heard. Then, ignition! Who cares about the lazy sounding starter:D

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Check (seasonally) under the rubber boot that covers the connection to the starter motor. It catches and holds water that corrodes the terminal making it difficult to pass the 70-200 amps needed during a startup. Disassemble, clean and cover the connection with dielectric grease to keep water away from the terminal.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, last thing to do is to check connection at the starter and clean it out. I also have the battery on a charger b/c it was too low (registered 12.16 volts at rest). might be the battery might have deep cycled too much in the last year and might be bad.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you are not sure of the history of the battery, why take a chance? Put another one in. Keep it on a Tender and you should be good to go assuming all the connections are clean. Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks MGN. I just took it off the charger this morning and when I get home tonight, I'll check to see if it adequately held the charge.

you're right, season's end is drawing near here and I need to rider her a bit more, so just buying a new battery may be the best bet!

·
Registered
871 Posts
I've always had the very same delay you're describing on my 99 996 and I've owned it since new. All the major services have been done by dealerships and it was never brought to my attention as an issue.

The bike still starts every time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool. so its not just me, it does hesitate a bit. one thing I did find out was that the battery was seriously undercharged. so it looks like its back to normal now and the battery is holding the full charge and the alternator works fine. (it still hesitates a bit but not nearly as bad as before).

thanks guys

·
Registered
108 Posts
my 996 also hesitated a bit...and saw a few like it that did also. Did that for a couple of years no problem, although Shazaam made a good point about checking under the starter connection boot. :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Gotta love the classic pit in your stomach 996 start-up...lol. For a split second you think you're stranded and then it starts. My old one did it and my current one does too.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Heavy duty power cables...

I swapped the battery & starter cables on my 916 with heavier duty ones and it starts much better & faster than before. Although, previously it never failed to start it always sounded like it wouldn't.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Same here - After changing batteries a couple of times, cleaning the starter from the inside + changing the brushes, changing the cables, changing the starter relay, changing the regulator/rectifier cables + connector because they were melted and finally changing the R/R itself, I can finally say that my bike starts and charges properly. :) All it took was 50,000km and 10 years.. (I've had it for 30,000km and 4 years..)

So, check _everything_! Oh, and of course, it helps if the TPS, idle, balance and CO are set correctly, too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts