Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm picking up my dreambike in the next couple of days. No no not the sedici, the Streetfighter S..in the fastest colour..RED :D It was love at first site for me, I prefer the naked variety, all of my previous bikes have been naked bikes.

Should I be worried that it's an early production bike? Manufactured in April 09 last 5 digits 000639.

Dealer said they would ensure that all recalls are performed prior to me getting the bike. OR I can hold off (Its not too late) and get a later model? Not sure if it'll make any difference?..comments/thoughts?

Thank in advance for the input.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
wont make much of a difference...
the dealer will make the checks for the forks, see if it affects your bike and change the ohlins...
he will also flash your ecu with the updated map and you will ready for the blast of your life!!!!! :)

Just make sure he does the checks and the flash remap....!! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you mean.? Green is deffo the fastest..:D
LOL..The Matrix - one of my favorite movies. Love what you've done with the bike. That green looks awesome and rich against the frame and gold forks.

CTS - Thanks! I'll have to also talk to them about the reflash.

The bike has been on the showroom floor for a couple of months. Wondering if they've had time to do the recalls, not sure what their practice is, whether they wait till its sold or do the recalls on existing inventory. I'll call them to check.

·
Bon Vivant
11,252 Posts
If you wait you'll have to wait a year. All of the current bikes are 2010 models that were released early.
There will be no changes to the Streetfighter for next summer.

Read through pages and pages of posts on this site- really, spend a couple of days and make sure you can deal
with all of the issues this bike has before you decide this is the right bike for you.

The reality is all of the problems with the streetfighter have been completely addressed by Ducati except the fueling problem.
But the fueling issue is not confined to the Streetfighter, all Ducatis are tuned to run lean in the low RPM range.
So any new Ducati you buy will have the same fueling issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, good to know. Yup, spent a week going through every page here. Lots of good info. We need a picture thread, like ducs in the wild @ the Ducati monster forum. My monster m1100 also had the fueling issue. When I first started to sputter around town I was like :eek:What the!! Needless to say my clutch hand was getting a good work out trying to tame the constant jerking back and forth, almost like an on and off switch. I was still loving the new Ducati experience that I soon learned to live with it. The Tuneboy thread seems promising.

If you wait you'll have to wait a year. All of the current bikes are 2010 models that were released early.
There will be no changes to the Streetfighter for next summer.

Read through pages and pages of posts on this site- really, spend a couple of days and make sure you can deal
with all of the issues this bike has before you decide this is the right bike for you.

The reality is all of the problems with the streetfighter have been completely addressed by Ducati except the fueling problem.
But the fueling issue is not confined to the Streetfighter, all Ducatis are tuned to run lean in the low RPM range.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
if your bike is from manufactured @ april, it might have an issue with the forks. its an easy job for the dealer to figure that out and change the forks...
the fueling issue is somthing you cant get rid of, even if you wait till 2012 :p

so go for it...just tell them to wax your beast so that its not dusty from the long showroom wait!!! :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
You live in Canada correct? If I were you I would wait until the next riding season, instead of having to drool on it all winter long. Plus, you can get one with the most recent year, better for sale value down the road. Apple polish your current bike and treat yourself next spring.

·
Registered
774 Posts

Fuelling issues across the range are the exception, not the rule: My 848 had flawless fuelling from day one ( I wish some other EFI bikes I've ridden can run this well, a fact noted by several journalists as a particular Ducati strongpoint!). For what it's worth I just got my SF back from its first service (1000km) and, after mentioning the "baulking" or slight hesitancy at 2500rpm, he too explained about the lean fuel map sub 3000rpm to get them through the Euro emissions regs.

Nonetheless they said they'd work on it and, incredibly, I got the bike back without any sign of that glitch....!!! I covered about 2 hrs of riding after the service, through traffic and higher speed, purposely hovering around that 2500rpm mark and rolling on the throttle and......nothing!!....I can't even remember what the issue was??

I don't know what they did (unlike my Guzzi, I don't think the Ducati ECU has an idle mix adjustment ...??!!) but I'm willing to find out if the fix is that simple......

jdw

·
Bon Vivant
11,252 Posts
The fueling issue does not seem to be 100% consistent from bike to bike
But I also believe riding style and rider perception play a big part in how the issue is felt and reported.

But, any Dyno AFR map will show the same lean condition below 5000RPM on all the new Ducs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm hopeful there will be a fix soon. The models are pretty new so I'll give it some time. I can live with most things not being perfect, and my 1100 was livable since I generally do medium to long distance and don't ride around the city much. But when I did find myself in slow traffic or city traffic it did bother me to a degree where I had to change my riding style. I even tried riding around in first gear, but with that torque you I needed to be extra smooth and on a long days ride it can also get mentally taxing.

Woot woot..Recalls being done now. If weather permits I'll be riding around tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes. Either way I'm gonna LOVE it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Makes no difference. I've been drooling on my keyboard for the last 2 weeks now, looking at the same pics over and over gain:crazy: Plus I was planning on putting it on my truck and driving down south in December or January until the temps get to double digits, at least 13C (55F) Maybe Tennessee?

I also want to put some mileage on it and get anything worked out before my trip to the US west coast.

You live in Canada correct? If I were you I would wait until the next riding season, instead of having to drool on it all winter long. Plus, you can get one with the most recent year, better for sale value down the road. Apple polish your current bike and treat yourself next spring.

·
Bon Vivant
11,252 Posts
Plus, you can get one with the most recent year, better for sale value down the road.
Like I said, they are already the most recent year; 2010, they will still be 2010 models next spring and summer.
He'd have to wait another year to get anything newer

Get it now while the prices are good.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Like I said, they are already the most recent year; 2010, they will still be 2010 models next spring and summer.

Correct Flyn.

The prices are due to shoot up & secondhand in the uk is rarer than a dodo egg. The ones that are for sale are pricey.
Rarer than a Desmo & quicker thro the country lanes, what more can you ask for...If you get it now you can do all the mods you want to get done before the next riding season. (that does not apply to us as we ride all year)

·
Registered
339 Posts

Ahhh, I didn't realize that the model years are off compared to car years, by spring lots of automotive companies will be on 2011s.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Woot woot..Recalls being done now. If weather permits I'll be riding around tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes. Either way I'm gonna LOVE it.
You made the right decision! The issues have for the most part been addressed and resolved by Ducati. You'll have a blast with it - and I assume you got a great price buying it now instead of in spring. Wise economic decision...:)

One recommendation for your clutch - get an aftermarket clutch slave cylinder - it will resolve the problem. MPL or Oberon are worth the money.:)

As for riding an SF at low RPM - that's not fun with any of the superbike Ducs - but at least it's comfy on the SF. Joking aside, it takes some resetting of ones riding style to ride a Duc at lower RPM.

Have fun and enjoy the cold nights in the garage drooling over your SF - we all do :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts