Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a hawk guy, i have 3 hawks, 2 race, 1 street, I have an opportunity to trade my street hawk for a 99 750. Any ideas on this bike. I have invested thousands into my hawk to get it to preform will i be disappointed or starting over?

Hawk

Duc

·
Registered
74 Posts
Heck no. That 750 looks flogged. If it was a 900, maybe. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Keep the Honda, that Duke looks like a shitter.

I would make him an offer on the Duke to pay cash and offer them not much at all. It has too much damage to be worth anything. It's only a 750. Wait, and you shall be rewarded. If you want a swap, wait for a better example of a 900SS comes up or a 750 without the damage.

The 750 is a great bike that handles well but wouldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding. If you have your other bikes in race trim and spent heaps on them, i think you would be dissapointed with this bike, becuase i know in about 2 weeks after you do the trade you will find a much better example of the Duke and you will kick youself over it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Friend just tried to sell his 750ss for 1700.00. He did not get many offers and it seemed to be in similar shape as the one your looking at. I think the Hawk would pull well more than 1700.00. Keep the Hawk.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool thanks for the input, Any one have a better trade? This dude has a no title TL1000 i might attempt to get him to throw in to make it a fair deal. I belive the hawk is worth from 2400 to 3000 depending on the buyer/market.
I didnt know the 750's where that cheap!

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Fishing Boat

I'll trade a boat ?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Odds of you finding a bike that is equivalent, with someone wanting to do a straight trade are pretty low. If you no longer want it, sell it and buy something you really want, not just what you can find on trade. Then you can get a decent example of a SS instead of that beater.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If you think you want an SS, why not find a "best of breed" 1000 SS/DS, by far the best engine/chassis offered? That way this will be a real move upward for you. Versions of this engine are currently being raced in the DMG Supersports class, so it wouldn't be too hard to find out what's working for that purpose.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you think you want an SS, why not find a "best of breed" 1000 SS/DS, by far the best engine/chassis offered? That way this will be a real move upward for you. Versions of this engine are currently being raced in the DMG Supersports class, so it wouldn't be too hard to find out what's working for that purpose.
Wouldn't really call it a "move up" when Honda aimed directly at the SS with their Superhawk and won. Don't get me wrong, the SS1000 DS in grey/red was my original dream of a bike, but I ended up with a Superhawk because of the perfect timing of a deal. That bike was just fun, and a great ride. The only reason I would foresee disappointment from a SS1000 would be because you wouldn't be getting much different, save for the Italian heritage.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Wouldn't really call it a "move up" when Honda aimed directly at the SS with their Superhawk and won. Don't get me wrong, the SS1000 DS in grey/red was my original dream of a bike, but I ended up with a Superhawk because of the perfect timing of a deal. That bike was just fun, and a great ride. The only reason I would foresee disappointment from a SS1000 would be because you wouldn't be getting much different, save for the Italian heritage.
I'm not quite following you here. I thought the idea was to trade from a Honda Hawk to an SS, not from the larger Super Hawk. If that is the case the SS 1000 would be quite a step up in most quantitative measures of performance.

My younger brother had a Super Hawk and traded it for a new 1000 SS/DS a few of years ago and is pretty satisfied with the difference. He says the water-cooled, 4V Honda motor was a bit stronger (I'd agree), but that the chassis/brakes on the Ducati are a step above those items on the Honda.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm not quite following you here. I thought the idea was to trade from a Honda Hawk to an SS, not from the larger Super Hawk. If that is the case the SS 1000 would be quite a step up in most quantitative measures of performance.

My younger brother had a Super Hawk and traded it for a new 1000 SS/DS a few of years ago and is pretty satisfied with the difference. He says the water-cooled, 4V Honda motor was a bit stronger (I'd agree), but that the chassis/brakes on the Ducati are a step above those items on the Honda.
Ah, maybe I misread it and got to nostalgizing my old 'hawk. Oops, sorry about that confusion. If its from a Hawk hawk, then yeah, the difference will be amazing. Superhawk's got the price point and base performance on the SS IMO.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was a nt650 hawk, RC-31, not the superhawk.... But i made the trade. I have logged 100 miles or so on the Duc, I like it BUT.... I intend to trear into it soon. I have a 916 race tail on the way (anyone want to buy a corbin?) and i do not like the lack of adjustablity in the stock suspension. :sleep:

I hope for some guidance with out reposting a bunch of things that have been covered here already. I plan on shaving a bit of weight starting with a hord 1.5lb battery and then removing everything from the tripples forward including the bodywork... Where are good places to shave weight, Should this be a new thread, or is there one already?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts