Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, looking for some advice.

I have had my hyper 796 for two months now. Fun bike, but is lacking power IMO.

I am considering trading it in for the 1100, but am looking to hear from those that have some seat time in both...is the 1100 a totally different bike power wise?

Out on a ride last week with a mate that had a new cbr600(not that I would consider a sport bike) and I just couldn't keep up, except fot the corners where I had no issue. Would the same be true on the 1100?

Thoughts from those who know both? I can't test ride one for another few weeks.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
My only advise is check insurance quote. Ive heard guys on here saying insurance is more than doubled for 1100.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have different sports bikes in the past and in my opinion the hyper 1100 would leave most bikes unless you are reaching speed of over 130mph. The tourge to me is in the right place for road use. Go for the 1100.

·
Registered
33 Posts
some people reckon the 796 is easier to ride fast as opposed to the 1100..
i have a superduke R and i can go from a to b as fast on my 796 as i could on that and keep up with mates on 600s, ok admitedly on the straights there is no accounting for HP, but as you say, hit a B road and its a different ball game, we had a ride out with the KTM forum and a guy came along on an 1100 and he races..and he struggled to keep up i dont think there is that much difference..better suspenders, bit more torque and a few HP, you are obviously going to be a bit faster..but if its not like going our with a mate on a 250 four stroke honda wet dream then i would stay with what you have and spend the difference you save in insurance on some upgrades..

·
Registered
532 Posts
some people reckon the 796 is easier to ride fast as opposed to the 1100..
i have a superduke R and i can go from a to b as fast on my 796 as i could on that and keep up with mates on 600s, ok admitedly on the straights there is no accounting for HP, but as you say, hit a B road and its a different ball game, we had a ride out with the KTM forum and a guy came along on an 1100 and he races..and he struggled to keep up i dont think there is that much difference..better suspenders, bit more torque and a few HP, you are obviously going to be a bit faster..but if its not like going our with a mate on a 250 four stroke honda wet dream then i would stay with what you have and spend the difference you save in insurance on some upgrades..
yes very true, if you were fit to ride the 796 to its full potential, there would be very few that would be able to keep up with you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appreciate the replies all. Will check to see what the insurance increase might be and will take one out for a ride when I get back from vacay.

Upgrade wise - ducati quoted $3000 (OUCH) for the full Temi exhaust including cat delete, ECU and air filters, but that performance will improve drastically. I asked about other exhaust options and they said they would not warranty anything other than Termi's, which is why I am considering the 1100.

Thanks again all!

Mike

·
Upright Racer
889 Posts
Do I sometimes wish I had bought the 1100? Yes. Am I glad I didn't most of the time? Yes. I say this because the 796 is an absolute blast to ride after it is dialed in and the intake and exhaust are opened up. I got rid of my R6 to save my life so to speak. I was an absolute maniac on it like I am anything to be honest. I tend to push whatever I have to it's limits, and I feel with the 1100 I would be no better off than I was on the 1100. I am a daredevil, so the drop in power from the 1100 to the 796 has helped me stay out of trouble more than likely. I would still like to have an 1100, but am plenty happy with my 796 the way it is. Like all have stated, it isn't the power that gets you through the curves quicker. The more power is only good in straight line. If you want the faster bike get the 1100, but if you just want a fun agile bike for the twisties keep the 796.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I own the 1100.
I have not ridden a 796 hyper but I got to try a friends 796 monster. So I would imagine the same engine characteristics. It's not the HP it's the torque difference down low that sets them apart IMO. It's just flat out addicting. You should defiantly test ride one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Find a dealer that will let you take the 1100 for a test ride. It should be an easy decision after you have seat time on both models to compare. Actually, you should test ride a bunch of different bikes if you're out shopping for a new one. Ride anything you can your hands on - if nothing else, its a lot of fun. Check out a new Speed Triple too if you're looking for a lot more power in a naked bike.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you can't keep up with 600 sportbike on a twisty road with a 796....then you should invest in some riding lessons not a bigger bike. We have wicked wicked roads down here in the North Ga mountains....and i don't have any problem running with anybody except the top dogs...and there are few of those. Yes of course a bigger bike with more hp is easier to keep up....but keeping up should never be a reason to upgrade. That's when you get in trouble...trying to keep up. The 796 HM is a lightweight weopon that has to real comparison to other bikes.

Remember this > Riding a slow bike fast is respect. Riding a fast bike slow is retarded.

·
Upright Racer
889 Posts
Remember this > Riding a slow bike fast is respect. Riding a fast bike slow is retarded.
Like Seven9Six, I live around twisty winding roads, that don't require a big hp bike. I had a R6 for 4 years and the only time I used all of it's power was on the highway. If you have flat lands where everybody is about speed and whatnot, then maybe the 1100 is for you. If you live around awesome roads like N. Georgia, South East Tennessee, and NC you don't need to upgrade to keep up with everybody.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Compared to any 600cc bike, the hyper 1100 is still slow( you'll notice this on the straights on a track, really annoying to have to overtake the same person several times in one lap just because they have a faster bike). The 1100 is by no means "super fast". It gets the job done though and is just sufficient for the streets. Getting out of a corner fast, or with one wheel off the ground is fun as well, which is harder with the 796.

To be honest, IMHO, the 796, 696 and 848 shouldn't have been made, because they lack a true twin feel. They don't give you as much grunt as you'd expect(this is especially true for the 848, 4 valve engine is no fun at all). Lots of torque at low and mid revs, that's where all the fun is.

I've been to the US, and our streets are maybe half the size of yours, still, the 1100 feels a bit slow at times. Could also be because I ride with a lot of fast guys on 600 and 1000cc bikes.

Try the Hyper 1100, you will forget your 796 in a heartbeat, I'll promise you :D

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have never ridden the 796, I have an 1100 evo. I love my bike! But fast is not the word for it. Quick is more proper, in the 2 summers I've ridden it in stock form except airbox mod and K&N filter. There has been many a chance to stoplight race lots of other bikes, and off the line I have smoked every bike I've taken on including a couple of busa's, from 0-90/100 mph I leave them wondering WTF, then between 90 and 100 They walk away from me in the exact same way I just did to them! I did a buildup on my this last winter and it is feelably quicker, torqier, and the lighter flywheel I put in makes it run out way faster, I.M.O. I'll now have the jump on them to 105, befor the spank me like kid caught steeling candy. Now I've also run some tight twisty mountain roads against several bigger and smaller bikes and they can't keep up. If faster is what you want then it's time for an 1198. If quicker is what you want, with an upright riding style, get the 1100. If your just not quit happy with your bike, check out lots of other bikes and figure out which one works for you the best.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Last year i made rally big mistake. i traded my 2009 1100 hyper in for a 796 monster. The first thing that i noticed was when i turned the throttle, the bike was very sluggish, even comming to a hill in 6th gear caused it to slow down whereas the 1100 has all the tourge in the right place. Best if you go for a good test ride on both machines. The thing that i like about the 1100 is that you can rided it like a 796 but when you need that extra power it is there. Not so the other way around.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts