Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 999 has spent most of it's life with me on the track with an occasional commute to work and even less occasional recreational ride. The occasional rides on the street are mostly due to 2 things: 1) It spends a lot of its time in its track glass that I have not yet fully converted to make them streetable since I bought the street/track version and 2) They're on DOT race tires and they wear pretty quickly (3rd set already and I have a little over 2K miles only).

I'm thinking of either selling my 999 and buying a 749R since most of the duty performed is on the track, or just buying the 749R in addition to my 999. I'm wondering if I'll miss the power of my 999 on the track despite expecting to improving my corner speed based on the better suspension and improving my braking due to the radial brakes. I really like my 999 on the track, but some smaller and tighter tracks I wonder what a lesser displacement bike would be like.

Maybe I should just buy one of the 06 600s for track duty only. Anyone have any input on this?

·
Registered
80 Posts
if you have the money, i'd get another 749R (don't sell the 999, you'll regret it) but i would rather ride a smaller bike on the track.
if i were picking the perfect track bike, i'd buy a year old 600 that was raced last year. its already all preped (and safety wired... this is huge. drilling bolts is the biggest PITA) probably has excellent aftermarket suspension, tons of spares, and has been down already. this way i wouldn't feel bad when i wadded the bike, cause honestly i think if you never really push your limits all the way, you'll never know where they really are. and it will be cheap, they sell those bikes for 6 or 7 grand.
good luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeh, the 749 R has the higher end suspension, and is less intimidating at the track. Power doesn't always produce the best lap times, depending on the rider/track mind you. 749R is probably going to be my next purchase though, and I'm track only.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good input, guys. Thanks. If I could swing it, I'd get the 749R in addition to my 999. I had thought about getting a used 600 for the track as well. There seems to be a consensus that this is the best thing to do. I would consider it, but none of the 600s appeal to me except for the 06's...specifically, the gixxer 600. The 750 seems cool too, but I don't know if that'll give me the same handling characteristics I'm looking for with a smaller displacement bike. I think the 749R is more comparable to the 600 in that regard, so we'll see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts