Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, should I swap my Std for an S version? I was looking at getting some forged rims and they are $2000 a pop, are the stock forged rims the same as the real aftermarket ones? considering I'm getting racetech bits for my front end does the DLC on the forks really make a difference. the brakes are good on the std and the suspension is the limiting factor on the front. ride height adjuster is nice and the ohlins banger probably isn't that great.

Hmmmmmm

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do tell... I'm in the market to plunk down some cash for a Hyper and would like to know. Dealer has an 09 std, 08 S and an 09 S on the floor. Not sure which to get.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If i were you, I would invest the cash on a set of BST carbon wheels (i have them on my SF, highly recommended) and upgrade the suspension to your liking. Upgrading to the S would mean you will have to sell or trade your current ride and pay taxes, fees etc on the S which would equal to $$$$$.

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
If you want an S, you should buy one from the get-go. It will not pay to convert everything.
New wheels, ohlins, carbon bits, new brakes. The difference between the std and the s on the used market is not even close (much smaller than the cumulative cost of parts). You are better off shopping for an S to begin with, or if you have already purchased....upgrade just the bits that are most important to you over time (brakes and susp. if you track, CF bits, if you are into customizing the looks, and so on)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i looked at the bike, if it had been red I'd be on it. had arrows cans and they sounded great compared to termis.

I'm already getting the fork kit and will now get the showa done. the ohlins seemed better but that is prob setup and the showa will be better with valves. I'll get a ride height adjuster and beef up the mater for the brakes as the mono's didn't seem stronger just better feeling.

rock on..

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
So, should I swap my Std for an S version?
I wouldn't Pedro, The forks on the S are sub standard, the ohlins maybe slightly better, unless you are unhappy with your ride height there is no advantage there, CF big deal, monoblocks not a biggy.

Do your fork kit, maybe a revalve in your std shock, but some lite weight wheels, BST or similar and you are good to go.

Keep you factory stuff for when you sell the bike and put it all back on, you get nothing more for a bike coated in lollies than a std one, then you can sell all your lollies separately and recover some coin.

This is from an S owner, if I did it again I would buy a std and do a few minor upgrades as above.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I wouldn't Pedro, The forks on the S are sub standard, the ohlins maybe slightly better, unless you are unhappy with your ride height there is no advantage there, CF big deal, monoblocks not a biggy.

Do your fork kit, maybe a revalve in your std shock, but some lite weight wheels, BST or similar and you are good to go.

Keep you factory stuff for when you sell the bike and put it all back on, you get nothing more for a bike coated in lollies than a std one, then you can sell all your lollies separately and recover some coin.

This is from an S owner, if I did it again I would buy a std and do a few minor upgrades as above.
Just sold me on a base model :D

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Just sold me on a base model :D
Don't get me wrong but the extra dollars between std and S is worth it if you are buying new and more so are a hard out rider or using it on the track but having an existing bike and taking a tuck on it changes the game.

I wanted black so I had to get a S however with the knowledge I am armed with now I would buy a std and do a few goodies and end up with a technically superior bike.

My tack would be buy red base model and put black plastic on, quite a cool combo in my opinion.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
looking at the price of the forged wheels alone then the S is worth it new if you want them tho. Ducati here charge $6000+ for a pair of hyper forged wheels.

·
Registered
868 Posts
It is like you read my mind last night...
Actually you are off base if you are going to be riding the bike harder and growing into wanting more performance... If you're just into riding the bike and buying alot of bling and looking good buy the non S. If you find you want to do track days and try to ride better you had better get the S.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Actually you are off base if you are going to be riding the bike harder and growing into wanting more performance... If you're just into riding the bike and buying alot of bling and looking good buy the non S. If you find you want to do track days and try to ride better you had better get the S.
5lbs off the bike is not worth it to me for the wheels especially since they are the same style of wheel. As for the suspension, the average rider would not be able to tell that big of a difference even at the track. The brakes are supposed to be preference I heard also.

Don't think it is worth $2500 for all that. I could get a termi full system and the big fuel tank for that

·
Señor Member
1,466 Posts
I'd suggest having you get to a clinic to have your std checked. Penicillin might be a better choice if the std is too serious :)

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
My standard is faster, handles and stops better than most "S" models, but damn do I want those wheels.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts