Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled this bastard out of my rear tire... picked it up somewhere along the line today. It didn't puncture the tire and instead went through the rubber at the same angle as the tire itself. It's pretty close to the edge though, and the tire is kind of wonky now where it went through with that indentation you can see.

Should I replace the tire? It's still got a lot of meat left.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Um, yes. Don't chance it, replace the tire, and be confident in that decision. I would rather spend the money on a tire, rather than replace the bike when the rear tire blows in the middle of a corner!

·
Registered
871 Posts
As much as it hurts the wallet, don't think about it and change the tire. I had about 500 miles on a 190 Michelin Power and discovered a piece of metal sticking out of it last summer. I was able to have it plugged in Vermont (my designation) and road home to Connecticut with no issues. I still replaced the tire as soon as I got home.

Your bike or more importantly your life is worth more than a couple of hundred bucks. :think:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Definitely change the tire and forget about it. Same thing happened to me, and I didn't even consider not changing it. On a car, you've got a fighting chance of surviving a blow out at speed. On a bike, if you get a blow out at speed, it can be curtains for both you and the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Radial tires don't really "blow out". But deflation can be pretty bad too! A clean puncture on such a new tire I would consider plugging (which I recognize puts me in the minority). That one just looks wonky though - hard to know how the carcass has been affected. I would change it.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
If you feel uneasy about it and replace the tire, feel free to send the old tire to me. I'll patch it and run it down to the cords. :D

·
Registered
355 Posts
I picked up a nail similar to yours in the spring. I had the tire plugged and haven't had any problems with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am going to replace it. It's cheap insurance. I think Shazaam is right in saying that the underlaying material might be damaged as it looks like the indentation has grown/extended further to the edge now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i just replaced a brand new corsa III with maybe 200 miles on it cause i picked up a nail. im just glad i found it on the rear stand and not on the track

1 - 12 of 12 Posts