Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soon, I'm going to have an extra 95 900SS that's been pretty much converted to SP-spec.

The plan was to sell the bike whole, but now I'm considering parting it out.

Is this ethically wrong, taking a soon-to-be classic off the street?

Or can I look at it like I'm keeping others on the road . . .

The pros are that it will already be partially disassembled and I won't have to put it back together, and I may end up netting more money in the end, which will pay for recent mods to my "keeper" SS. Plus, I may keep some of the parts for spares . . .

Please chime in and help me decide!

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
i have parted out four or five supersports so far, my karma is itching.

:think:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Think of it like this: You sacrifice one for the many.

(dibs on the left side case cover) :rolleyes:

Come to think of it....those are the black cases, yes? Hmmm....nevermind.

·
Registered
400 Posts
When dealing with classics (or soon to be classics) I'm a strong proponent of keeping every viable machine possible on the road. To paraphrase Will Rogers (he said "buy real estate; they ain't makin' any more...), I say "keep 'em runnin'; they ain't makin' any more". It saddens me deeply to see good ones getting parted out. If it's wrecked and can't be saved, sure - sacrifice it so that others may live. Just don't kill a good one.

I've had "hobby" vehicles - two and four wheeled - for neigh on 30 years now. I have witnessed some genres near and dear to me fall victim to the fact that they are more valuable parted out than whole. The profiteers swooped in (with no passion for the particular marque) to buy perfectly sound bikes or cars with the sole intent of parting them out for profit. Every time this happens, the collective pool is diminished. And somewhere, a kitten dies...

·
Registered
40 Posts
im always torn... like with my euro sports cars. I hate to see them go but at the same time who would of thought my MGA would ever be worth 30k... People used to just junk and part one for the dumbest things and buy another just to do the same with.

So my opinion is this, If you seriously need the money and your family will benefit from you parting it out then do it. Short of that Id say sale it complete youll love yourself more for it in 20 years.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
The profiteers swooped in (with no passion for the particular marque) to buy perfectly sound bikes or cars with the sole intent of parting them out for profit.
I'd say this is very common in europe at the
moment with ducatis, superbikes especially, carbed
supersports had their era before...

It's ethically, morally, and spiritually wrong.
my karma is itching.
youll love yourself more for it in 20 years.
i got it now, but i doubt it, i mean, how about the
stock '52 panhead i fucked up some 20 years ago,
was that right ? no....and all the other stuff i have
raped, oh god.

·
Registered
400 Posts
raped, oh god.

I'm guilty myself. I've had my way with several old Harleys over the years, plus a whole slew of late '60's MOPAR's that were turned into drag cars (irreversibly, some of them) and some old 911's that were rather unceremoniously sacrificed at the altar. Maybe my guilty conscience is what drives me to be worse on this issue than some born again Christian or ex-smoker.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'd say this is very common in europe at the
moment with ducatis, superbikes especially, carbed
supersports had their era before...

raped, oh god.

Thanks o master muschi for allowing my moment to acknowledge your contribution. For true artistry, real knowledge, and major craftsmanship. For on going grace in advice, and mc maintenance .

For me, a true duc noobie, living the nightmare of of a 900sp that's it's taken two mechanics to get the carbs runnin right, oh I miss my SV... the inspiration you've written here has helped define the will to breathe new life into the classic beast that I can't ride (yet...soon...), and only read about.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'd prefer to keep them together, they are classic machines. I can't even bring myself to start dismantling my '94 900SS that went head on with a car for now she is just sitting with a sheet covering the front end damage. I know I have to at some point because I want to put that engine in my new 900SS and my mate wants a few of the other bits that survived for his bike but it will be a sad day when I starting pulling her apart. I shed a tear after the accident as she was dead and that saddened me.

I had completely rebuilt my '94 as you can see below, the engine and gearbox were also disassembled and fully rebuilt ... so I couldn't imagine just parting one out and not rebuilding it.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
... late '60's MOPAR's that were turned into drag cars (irreversibly, some of them)
you have told so many nice stories already,
i would love if you would come up with a nice
picture every now and then, nobody will mind
a nice classic tuned car in here.

and some old 911's that were rather unceremoniously sacrificed at the altar.
offerings to the gods of speed.

Maybe my guilty conscience is what drives me to be worse on this issue than some born again Christian or ex-smoker.

Thanks muschi for allowing my moment to acknowledge your contribution.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input.

Looks like I've got a tough decision ahead of me.

Maybe it will all become clear when I do the engine transplant etc from the 95 to my 96. You know, spending some serious quality time elbow deep in Ducatis. These bikes do have souls . . .

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd say this is very common
raped, oh god.:think:
I hear ya... but i have a long list of machinery that i have saved and it makes my days better when i see them out there being loved by the new owners. But i truly believe in "to each their own".

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
I hear ya... but i have a long list of machinery that i have saved and it makes my days better when i see them out there being loved by the new owners.
i know that feeling quite well, as i do work on classic smallframe vespas,
and have taken literally dozens of them back to life, meeting them later
on, is always a nice experience.

:)

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
i know this company which parts out superbikes, they send me e-mails
every month of their latest victim, they did slaughter lots of nice bikes,
like race 888 etc etc.

this is the pic i received some two days ago, lovely 996 with full 50mm
Termi system in perfect running order, this bike does no longer exist.

it is a shame. :think:

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
i know this company which parts out superbikes, they send me e-mails
every month of their latest victim, they did slaughter lots of nice bikes,
like race 888 etc etc.

this is the pic i received some two days ago, lovely 996 with full 50mm
Termi system in perfect running order, this bike does no longer exist.

it is a shame. :think:
Yeah, I looked at that email and thought "WTF, that was a NICE bike!!!".

I believe that the only bikes that should be parted out are the ones that have been crashed or otherwise partially destroyed. Parting for profit is to me a dark use of capitalism...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Every time this happens, the collective pool is diminished. And somewhere, a kitten dies...
So it's kind of a bad news/good news kind of thing? :p

I KID! I KID!

Regarding parting out a 900ss. If it's already been messed with and needs work anyway, well... so be it. They built a ton of them.

Having said that, one reason I got a good deal when I bought my 750 GT was the guy knew I wasn't going to part it out. I could have made good money selling it as parts, instead I spent a lot of money fixing it. Luckily the market changed while I was doing it so it's worth about what I have into it now.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you part it, don't forget to factor in such things as your time spent on advertising, storage, dismantling, packing and shipping, dealing with idiot customers, Paypal fees, deadbeat payers and flakes, etc. Those hours spent to earn a few bucks you will not get back and could have been spent out riding!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts