Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my nephew is in town for two weeks. He has a monster and a 999, and based on my previous experience riding with him two years ago he rides well. He has also done some track days in the past two years (since he was last here).

So, should I let him take the 999R from time to time, or just the SS or ST2 (or really make him suffer and ride my LeMans)?

Tom

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I'd let anyone ride anything as long as they're experienced and either I can afford to lose it or they can afford to pay for any damages. :)

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
The question you gotta ask yourself....is if he lays it down....can you keep yourself from beating him senseless? I wouldn't do it but that's just me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
does he want to ride it?

I know people swap bikes, lend bikes, borrow bikes... Personally I don't like riding anyone else's bike unless the replacement cost is in the realm of an SV650 or less.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You're gonna let me ride it aren't you?:)

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Tuff question. Anyone can fall down, of course you know that. The main reason I have three bikes is because I have two sons. One 20 and one 25. Usually the youngest rides the 999 because, well, he's the youngest. He doesn't know pain yet. But we switch around and end up riding all of them. I don't let them take the ST or the 999 out by themselves. The Monster yes. I'm just comfortable with that. I can't explain it. I just am. What are you comfortable with?? That's the question.

P.S. Crap, I'd pay to get to ride the Le Mans!!

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Hey, come on guys. There's more to consider than the bike. Sure it's expensive when you drop one of these things but what about the kid (to me anyone that age is a kid) getting hurt. Speaking for myself I know my kids, they are much better rider than me, but out by themselves on the 999 I know what's going to happen. Anyone pushing the envelope is more likely to to get hurt.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,715 Posts
absolutely, especially if it means something special to him.

have fun

·
Registered
142 Posts
im my thoughts, if you don't let him ride it he may think you have no trust in him. but all dramas aside its just a bike, bikes have insurance im sure it would mean a lot to him after all it's a 999r, and my friend blood is thicker than wine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
just say no!!! if your 999 goes down, it better be you riding it. accidents happen. cats, dogs, oil slicks, cars, etc... if troy bayliss showed up on my door step he better have his own ducati. well ok maybe troy bayliss, but no one else!

·
Registered
138 Posts
How would your relationship with your nephew be if he dropped it and couldn't pay for the damage? What if his insurance balks because it's not his bike, or yours balks because you're not riding it? Could you write the check for the repair and not care? Or would it bug you every time you saw him or rode with him after that?

I could happily write a check for a new 999R if my Dad wrecked it, just to be able to give him the joy of riding it, but he's just about the only relative I could do that for. A 25-year-old? Hell, he should be happy to be riding any Ducati. I'd lend him the ST.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I honestly don't see the need to poll this. It's up to you. What kind of insight could anyone give you about your bike, your personality, your family, which would sway you one way or the other?

If it's a matter of hypothetics, I'd let such a family member as you've described, and even my friends ride mine. It's still just a material possession (that's insured , of course :p)

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
I asked my insurance about this (Geico) and they frown on other folks riding the bike, other than the person named on the policy. In other words, it could be and likely would be held against me. I don't need another accident on my policy, it took me three years before my last accident fell off and during most of that time I couldn't ride because of injuries. I can't imagine what my rates would be if I happened to get unlucky and crash again during the 3 years I paid higher premiums as a result of the accident I had. It wasn't just a little bump in my premiums either, it made me think if all this was worth pursuing.

I would be reluctant to let someone ride one of my bikes, but exceptions can be made, it depends on the circumstances.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
As you are uncertain enough to ask, my suspicion is that you are not comfortable with him riding it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
+2. It was fun reading but given all the variables I suspect this post is not going to do more then window dressing in consideration of your final ruling...or at least I hope it's not.

I honestly don't see the need to poll this. It's up to you. What kind of insight could anyone give you about your bike, your personality, your family, which would sway you one way or the other?

If it's a matter of hypothetics, I'd let such a family member as you've described, and even my friends ride mine. It's still just a material possession (that's insured , of course :p)

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Hell yea let him ride it . Are you gonna make him beg?? It will be worth it to see the smile on his face . He will remember it forever. You'll be a hero. I'd follow him around for a bit first..

·
Registered
463 Posts
If he already has a 999 then he will be fine. I would bet (with your 999R, lol) that he understands how special it is and will ride it easier than he does his 999 and you do your 999R.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, if he's going to crash one of my bikes, better the 999R since that's the only one I carry collision on :eek:

Here, the bike is insured, regardless of who rides it.

Anyway, I pick the roads and lead, so there are no surprises.

Probably not today, but sometime next week (I wonder how he finds it compared to his 999). I'm taking all my mornings off from work to go riding (cooler in the morning, in the mid 80s+ in the afternoon at low altitude).

Tom

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Please report back in. I bet I am not the only one curious to lean how it goes and what both of you think.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts