Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, just a lil back ground as to whats been happening. I had a 2003 Ninja 636, good bike, let my buddy ride it, and he crashed it before he even got out of his street. I dont have the bike any more and lookin for something new. So i found this one 2003 749, and it is BEAUTIFUL! i love the design, and the quality. I been hearing crap from all of my friends (i think they jelious) They all sayin that i should stick with a jap bike and blah blah... I told them that wit a Ducati you dont need to do any other upgreads the bike its self is gorgeous! But they say that buy a jap bike coz its easier to maintain, and i should dump couple grand into the bike and it'll be better then a Duc, (it might look dif but certiantly not better in quality) So my thing for everyone, what are the common things that need to be done a Duc? Like what breaks down a lot or or needs attetion the most, and how much it'll run.

Thanx for all your help

p.s - I am mechanicaly inclided so i can do some stuff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Be different from all of your friends. Buy the Duc, and watch them all stare at your bike in the parking lot.
If you're mechanically inclined, maintenance shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I love my duc. . .

·
Registered
127 Posts
Be different...

I love my duc. . .
They're laughing at me because I'm different, I'm laughing at them because they're all the same.

It's your life, live it.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
The XX9 series does not have any serious problems. One common thing is they can randomly die at a light when stopped, which sounds serious, but it will fire right up. If it bugs you, you can get a power commander to help it. Other than that, doing the 6000 mile service will run you about 200-300 if you do it yourself, or around 900 if you pay someone to do it. The dry clutch will wear out faster than a jap bike wet clutch, but plates are not expensive and you can easily change these yourself. Other than that, normal maintenance is the same as a jap bike.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
if your friends like being sheep, more power to them.
Respect goes out to you for being different than your friends.
If your friends have late model 600's and literbikes, they will outrun you on a straight.
High speed cornering, you will run circles around them.
maintenance wise, make sure you get the valves adjusted every 6k miles, timing belt every 12k miles (very easy DIY).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't know, with a name like Chernobyl, mmm :think: :abduct: :rolleyes:

Get what you want, period. The day you have to ask your "friends" permission on what you can spend your money on, you be very screwed.

And yes, sounds like they are envious and in the bad way, I know the kind, they can't so you can't either. Just look at what you said at the beggining, you lent your bike to one of these "friends" and he gave you back the handle bars (clip ons). :think: A saying, you don't lend out what can be ridden!

·
Registered
16 Posts
get a Duc if you want a true "riders" bike. get a jap bike if you like being another person in the crowd of "fashion riders" that's what I have learned. if you ride with people that truly know how to ride , they have respect for all bikes, and will encourage you to get a fantastic machine. I have owned a total of 17 bikes. Everything from a buell , to a zx10r, including a cbr 1000rr and an RC51, and my 04' Ducati 749 is by far the most excellent and fun machine ever. it is truly the "ferrari" of bikes.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hell with the friends. You can always find new ones. Buy the Duc and an extra helmet for the lady of your choice. Then go ride the hell out of her. 749 isn't the fastest thing out there, but if your coming off a 636 you will be comfortable with the power delivery. I felt the same way about getting a Duc but you won't be upset once you get on it and ride. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
My '03 749S may be the best all-round Duc I've owned. I've tracked it, toured it, canyon killed with it and commuted with it.

It's easy to ride slowly and it's plenty fast when necessary.

No mods are necessary but you'll find yourself doing them anyway ... sorry, it just happens.

Although I sometimes wish for the laziness afforded by the bigger 999 motor, the 749 can be much more rewarding than it's bigger brother when you ride it with gusto.

A gearing change from 14/39 to 14/41 helps ridability around town and some people even opt for the larger 14/43.

So, the short answer to your question: YES!!

·
Registered
857 Posts
What your friends said was probably right. A base 749 doesn't handle all that better than a Jap bike, if not worse. Yes, if you drop your 749, it will cost you more to fix it. The 6k interval maintenance is expensive ~$800 avg. I am not sure how much a Jap maintenance costs. But, the duc definitely rides and feels differently. It fits like a glove. Of course, the looks, one of the main reasons people fall in love with it. If your friends try to drag race you on their new 600s, you will loose. We change bikes very often. A duc is definitely worth riding and this economy is the right time to snag one for cheap. You'll like the torque, feel and looks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i just went form a gsxr 750 to a 749 dark and its a differnet bike for sure. i feel much more confortable goin threw the turns and riding it but if i had to do it all again i would go with the 999 i think the 749 lacks power but overall a great bike get exhaust first things first then let your friends laugh the sound is incredible

1 - 12 of 12 Posts