Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about if i should do a oil changes on a 2001 748 , i changed the oil 1 year and a half ago, since then it has only has about 200 miles on it, it is started now and then and is stored in a heated showroom, Does synthetic oil break down or should it be ok to ride, any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
702 Posts
i changed the oil 1 year and a half ago, since then it has only has about 200 miles on it, it is started now and then and is stored in a heated showroom, Does synthetic oil break down or should it be ok to ride, any help would be much appreciated
No, you have to use common sense here. If you have less than 2,000 miles since your last oil changes you're way short of the recommended 7,500 mile interval. So you haven't depleted the oil additive package and the viscosity is still good.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I change the oil every two years regardless of mileage even though I only run full synthetic unless the vehicle is not started (dry stored, fogged cylinders). I have at least a dozen bikes which I do this with, which are stored in a heated garage. The issue is not the oil breaking down, it is the contamination of the oil by condensate over time. This is particularly a problem if you start and run the vehicle on occasion. The other roughly dozen bikes I own get oil changes every year even though they on average probably only cover 300 miles.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
It doesn't matter. Change it if it makes you feel better, ride it as is if negative feelings don't get involved.

Condensation in the oil will burn off. Expected a foggy oil sight glass for a ride or two. As I have said before. These engines are robust and can take a lot of abuse, but they don't like being over rev'ed.

·
Registered
921 Posts
We need to start a thread called:
"Things to do to your Ducati just to make you feel better"
I'll start:
1. Change your oil at 200 miles
2. Fill your tires with nitrogen
3. Fill your tank with 100 octane gas
4. Fill your clutch fluid reservoir with Castrol SRF
Oil has a shelf life. It is a mixture, and unstable to a certain degree. Mobil 1 specifies 5 years in a unopened bottle. Shelf life of an opened bottle is 1 year. Condensation, oxidation and degradation of additives occurs over time with exposure to air. Running and starting make it worse. Ask Barber museum whether they change the oil when they take a bike out of storage or display before they start it up, even if the oil has zero miles and zero starts on it. Put a plate of oil out in your garage and leave it for 2 years and it will be noticeably darker than when you first poured it out. While the amount of air in an engine might seem minimal, the oil coating all the surfaces in a thin film is very exposed to air and degradation, more so than in an open bottle of oil. Put a thin film of oil on a plate and leave it for 2 years and see if you think it looks good after 2 years.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,886 Posts
Sometimes I think I mess with stuff just so I can mess it up. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 10 of 10 Posts