Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Just came upon this forum a few nights ago, and I was impressed of the amount of knowledge and experience than you can benefit from on here. One can definitely lose track of time reading all of these posts.

Anyway, I've been wanting a 748 for some time. I love the look and sound of them. I ran across a 2000 748 Biposto on craigslist that I can get for $2950. Only downside that I can see is that it has 33,000 miles on it. It has a new clutch, belts, rear hub and spindle, valves adjusted, had one rocker replaced, and it has newer Bridgesone BT-16 tires. The guy who is selling it is the second owner, and he says that the regular maintenance has always been done.

Would this be a good bike for weekend rides and the occasional commute to work? I don't ride hard. My other bike is a 1973 BMW R75/5 cafe racer. Im used to doing most of my maintenance by myself. Could this bike be expected to run awhile before needing a new engine? Is it worth the price? Here is the ad. http://peoria.craigslist.org/mcy/1478795882.html

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
If you plan to wrench on it yourself, be prepared to shell out for a few special tools. I bought a 1999 748 Biposto with something like 27K on it (has 34K now-owned it since May). I payed more than I should have but I wasn't knowledgeable on Ducatis at all. Since owning one, I'm finding out now that two things are happening to me:

A: My wallet is far lighter.
B: It's become an addiction. I feel like an opiate would have been a cheaper choice. :eek:;)

If you have a good set of wrists and sturdy back, it'd be a fine commuter ;) I know mine is.

You would need to look at old receipts and verify that it has been maintained. Word of mouth is a load of crap. My advice to you would be to thoroughly look it over with the fairings off.

If I could do it all over again, I would definitely have been more thorough before my purchase. I would have taken down the serial number and called the shop that maintained it and requested the history of it. I probably still would have brought her home. I really can't explain why. :(

I'd say get it, but be prepared to wrench on it, she's not going to be perfect with that mileage on her. I love challenges and the pride that comes with maintaining your own ride.

Anyways :rolleyes:
Welcome to the forums. Many here would gladly help you with anything you would need. Hopefully, someday, you'd decide to join the family.

·
Registered
304 Posts
For the price go ahead and get it. If the motor blows to bits you can still part the bike out for more than $3000 on ebay. You really can't lose.

·
Registered
719 Posts
i paid more than tripple that price for my 916 just a few years ago and couldnt be happier. sure its more expencive to own than a gixxer or R1, but you dont see a 748 or 916 at every local bike night either. at that milelage things WILL go wrong, be prepaired to shell out more money to fix it than your run of the mill street bike. these bikes are not for everyone, ducati sparks a passion that cant be expressed with a dollar amount (example is any R model bike) those who get it love there bikes and will do everything and anything for them. that being said, a 748 with a decent maintenance history at that price is a bargin for someone who can turn there own wrenches. i would scoop it up if i were you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know. I have to admit, I'm a little torn between a 748 and a 900ss. I like the looks of the 748 and the sound of the 900ss. Is it true that you can get these for about the same price nowadays? Perhaps get a better 900ss with fewer miles than a 748? I'm new to these. Always admired Ducatis, but haven't seriously looked into buying one until recently. Would the SS be more suited to me for more relaxed riding and commuting? I suppose it would be the better choice if I wanted to carry a passenger, correct?

I don't know. I can't really decide. Not wanting to spend more than $4000 up front. That's pretty much my limit. Really like this 748, but I'm thinking I can get alot more for my money if I held off and spent $500 or $1000 more.

Is one more reliable than the other? Sorry about all the questions. I just have alot of them, and there seems to be alot of knowledge here.

Thanks for the help!

Oh, and I found this one as well.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/mcy/1459019434.html

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not more reliable but the SS may be an easier job for the wrench. In all honesty if you can get the 748 for $3k do it. If you dont like it part it out. You can expect $4-5k just in parts on ebay. I speak from experience

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
If you feel comfortable working on the motor, definitely go for it. 900SS's are even easier (and cheaper) to work on, but I grew bored of my Monster 900 (same engine). There's only so far you can go with a 900SS. With a 748, you can basically take it as far as you want--whether that's motor work or a swap, or suspension/handling upgrades. As a trackday rookie this year and some assistance from Ohlins, I kept up just fine with more powerful bikes that are 10 years newer. My motor is bone stock with over 20,000 miles and, even dragging my 230 pound ass around, here's how it went:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBMaKHjQfxo

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, you've all convinced me. I think I'm getting a good deal. Going to pick it up tomorrow. Driving 6 hours one way! Oh well, gives me something to do on a crappy, cold day off.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
If I was a glutton for punishment, I would have bought this one and turned either it or my '02 into a track-only bike. I've seen this one in person and it needs a LOT of TLC, but at $2500, I don't think a person could go too overly wrong with it.....as long as they didn't think they could buy it and simply put gas in it and ride it for 10k miles...

http://greenville.craigslist.org/mcy/1461864548.html

They claimed it would not be available after Nov 14th. I wonder what they did with it if it didn't sell.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
About how many miles is on that one? Wonder if it was wrecked, and that's why they repainted it. I hope I can ride this one I'm looking at this summer. Guess I'll know soon enough.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got it off the truck about an hour ago. I don't have a ramp, so I found an old door out by the dumpster and backed the truck up to a "grassy noll". The frosty grass made me VERY nervous. No mishaps, and she's sleeping in my garage after a long trip. Drove 760 miles today, but it was worth it. Beautiful bike. It's just a basic yellow 748, but I'm absolutely in love with it. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. Too bad it's 16 degrees out :( Oh well, I'm thinking of buying some of those turn signal mirrors. Has anyone put a set of those on? They're pretty cheap on ebay. Are they solid? Vibrate much? There are no front turn signals on this bike. I don't really mind. The mirror signals would give it a sleeker look anyway, and the light is bigger and more visable.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I forgot to ask the guy what type of oil he runs in it. I'd like to use mobil full synthetic. I've heard that it's good to stick to the oil that has been used in the machine in the past. Is this true? Can I just start using a good quality oil and not worry about it?

·
Registered
431 Posts
great buy for the price you can not go wrong
post some pics up would love to see them

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Just figure out which full synthetic you want to use. I go with Mobil One, but they're all fine. I would try to remain consistent, but would never lose sleep over switching if it came down to it.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Oh yeah, I think the ebay signal mirrors look strange and cheesy.

I had CF runners w/o mounts on the 748 so I custom fabricated some LED bars in my stock mirrors. The SPS has CF runners with mounts, so I don't need the signal mirrors anymore.

I have an ad for those and a ton of other parts in the classified section.

Good luck with your new ride.

·
Flying Brit
1,824 Posts
Thats a great price you can't go wrong

·
Registered
630 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts