Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Should I buy "new" 2014 s touring?

3K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  ChrisE 
#1 ·
Hey guys ! Long time.......... Hope all is well
So local dealer has a leftover 14 S touring with bags. (Demo)
1000 miles. Red. Never titled. Warranty expired a month ago.
Will possibility throw in a aftermarket warranty to offset that problem.
Wants 15k for the bike.
Should I bite? Always wanted one, seems close to fair. Seems the 15s are having some fueling probs and still at MRSP. and my long awaited dream enduro is going to be about 24k.
If yes, what does it need service wise that I should negotiate?
Reflash latest map? When was the first big service due? Other bugs?
I appreciate the help.
Happy holidays.
Cal

#3 ·
Every demo, I've heard sold, all have factory warranty.

I've bought a couple of demo cars and the mileage, on the vehicle at the time of purchase, did not count against the factory warranty mileage.

As regards the 2015's and 2016's, all the teething issues have been addressed by Ducati, someone correct me here if I've missed something, mine's totally sorted.

#4 ·
^ I agree with ya, Chris. The 2014 DS MTS was a well sorted out bike, especially its motor. I don't recall if there were issues with the fuel sending unit or not but all else seemed to work and work well.

#6 · (Edited)
^ I agree with ya, Chris. The 2014 DS MTS was a well sorted out bike, especially its motor. I don't recall if there were issues with the fuel sending unit or not but all else seemed to work and work well.
There were but the latest rev sensor seems to have fixed the problem. Other than that I've put 7,000 trouble free miles on mine and I love it. It is a bit tall and the stock seat isn't the most comfortable but I put the DP comfort seat on and it works much better. The rear brake isn't the best but mine does work.

First major service is at 15,000 miles. The bike you're looking at should have just had the first service, the break in service. The next service is at 7500 miles but that isn't a major service. Just make sure the tires and fluids look fresh. If the brake or clutch fluids look dark I'd see if they'll Put new fluid in and bleed the system for you. Check to see if they've updated the fuel sending unit to the rev D sensor. Otherwise you should be good to go. I'm not aware of any map updates. As oalvarez said, the dual spark Multi is a well sorted bike.

Stock windscreen is a bit too small. I have a Cee Bailey +1 screen in smoke on mine and it works much better. Still get some wind roar but it is not as bad as the stock screen. I ride with it in the highest position all the time.

I bought mine new a year ago and I was able to get it for $16.9k with the factory warranty.

Best bike I've ever owned by far.

I'd say $15k is at the high end of price for a used Multi, and even though it has never been titled it is a used bike... and a two year old bike at that. I agree that they should throw in the factory warranty. Check what used Multis are selling for in your area and use that to help negotiate.

Otherwise, if you're happy with the deal, I say go for it. You won't regret it.

#7 ·
Thanks guys !!

Keep em coming.
they are telling me warranty wise that it starts when it was "put into service". odd. confirmed that it was never titled…..
This dealer is pretty good and i know the salesman personally. They work on my 06 BMW GS and the BMWs and Duc before that.

Now i find they are wanting to add the usual bs, shipping, destination, doc fee. etc. <sigh> Are you guys paying all that stuff too?

ok, let me screw this thread up a little. buy the 14 or wait and splurge on the 16 Multi Enduro with the alum bags and 19 inch front wheel?

Thanks !!

#8 ·
Thanks guys !!

Keep em coming.
they are telling me warranty wise that it starts when it was "put into service". odd. confirmed that it was never titled…..
This dealer is pretty good and i know the salesman personally. They work on my 06 BMW GS and the BMWs and Duc before that.

Now i find they are wanting to add the usual bs, shipping, destination, doc fee. etc. <sigh>

ok, let me screw this thread up a little. buy the 14 or wait and splurge on the 16 Multi Enduro with the alum bags and 19 inch front wheel?

Thanks !!
Yeah, I got dinged for a $900 setup fee too...

Are you planning on taking the bike off-road? The Multi is brilliant on pavement so if you aren't planning on much, or any, off road adventures then I'd definitely recommend the Multistrada.

#9 · (Edited)
I have bought demo bikes and usually the warranty starts when the bike was put into service and not when sold. That said the dealer should supply an extended one for you.

I may be a bit jaded but get the 14. It is in the best years of the Multi's IMHO. I would say that is a fair price just going of what used ones are selling for around here, especially if they throw the extended warranty in. The 15 just does not have the Ducati soul of the 14. Don't get me wrong the DVT engine is brilliant but just different. Of course I am the guy that is in love with my 94 900cc air cooled engine with just gobs of Ducati soul.

I have a 14 Hyper and compare that 821 engine to the DVT in that they are great engines and put out a lot of power but don't seem to come on strong until the R's come up a bit. Not that there is anything wrong with that. ;)

Maybe they have hidden it in other costs but I have never paid setup and dock fees for any bike I have ever purchased. That is their overhead as far as I am concerned. It is very negotiable. :grin2:

#14 ·
Pricing seems fair based on what my dealer is offering for their 2014 demo. I ended up buying a 2014 GT new that my dealer discounted down to about $17,900 BEFORE adding freight and setup and taxes. Consider that option if you can, not sure where you're based. I think after all the fees it was just around $19k for mine.

I like the DVT motor/bike/dash etc but the deal was really good on this '14 and I didn't feel that strongly about the '15.

#15 ·
So they've used it as a demo and state they won't give you a warranty, but expect you to pay the dealer fees, etc., I call Bull Crap, is this Bloodworth?

If you don't get a warranty, it's a used bike and you DONT pay any of those fees.....

#16 ·
Damn. Went to the dealer this am. it was quiet with christmas coming and all.
looked at the 14 demo. it was perfect. not a blemish. Had the first service.
It's calling me. Started deal talking. I left to "cool off" cause i had the fever.
Came home, sat on the red GS, said out loud< "you dont need another bike".

Didnt work. I want it.
:|

#18 · (Edited)
I just picked up the same model and year last month but mine was brand new, 4 miles on the clock. Full warranty and got it for $16k. I had the dealer throw out the freight and set up cost, etc etc etc. I did take advantage of the promo offer Ducati has on their 2014 MTS which is an automatic $2500 off the top.

I have to honestly say I have had my share of warranty work right from the get go.

#22 ·
The full Ducati warranty does not seems to be an option. The VIN was entered into the Ducati system when it was put "into service". That started the clock ticking. I chatted with the Service Manager before i left. He punched in the VIN and confirmed the Warranty expired 11/15. Funny, cause he told me as he was punching in the VIN that it should have the full warranty. Looked a bit surprised.
Wonder if some dealers activate their VINs so if it needs repair while it is their demo, they will get paid to repair it??

it appears that aftermarket warranty is the only option…………..

#23 · (Edited)
it appears that aftermarket warranty is the only option…………..
I've had good luck with my aftermarket warranty. It's covered a starter and a dash to date, so I'm not sure that's a distinct down side. I'd ask Bloodworth if they will service the bike with whatever warrant they provide (and they should pay for it.....not you) just as if it were under the factory warranty. If this bike is to be yours, I'd also inquire about the cost of extending to a longer (five year) term on top of the two they need to give you just for safety, especially if you're planning to keep it longer than two years.

By the way, some aftermarket vendors won't provide any cover once the bike is out of the factory warranty, so getting one at all may depend on how good Bloodworth's relationship is with the vendor they use. I believe they sell the RPM1 warranty, which is the same one I have on my bike and has proven a credible product to me.

I'm also surprised that they would register the bike's factory warranty at the time they put it in service, seems a distinct disadvantage to them if it starts the clock running. On the other hand, there's no reason not to believe them as it serves them to be straight about this. My experience with Bloodworth has been good in the short time I've been here, as long as I'm not actually dealing with the owner. The sales and service guys seem really nice and I would buy a bike there if they had my deal squared away.

I think if you can get the warranty (and look into some extension as well) and had to give them freight (but not set-up) that you would have a good enough deal if the bike is the one you want. Set up is a BS charge but freight is a real cost. Less is always better, of course, and patience might serve you in negotiating as the thing costs them money every month they hold it. Time is your friend in deals like this and my impression since moving here is that this is not a particularly hot Ducati market. Might be worth the risk to throw out your offer and let them think about it for a few days. Anybody else buying a left over out of warranty Multi ten days before Christmas in the Nashville area? Please report in if so!

Standard margins (not including any factory incentives they get on these) should put this bike's actual dealer cost somewhere north of $17000. Even if you pay $15,500 plus tax and license, they won't be making any money on you at all. Bear that in mind as you negotiate.

#27 ·
I don't understand, why not just get a new leftover 14 Touring that comes with a full warranty? Just google it. Anyone who is considering buying any 14 MTS should be taking advantage of Ducati's current promotional offer of $2,500 off the top, and then add in your negotiating skills by having them take of the freight, set up fees, etc, you can get it around $16k. But I have to admit, it's slim pickings at this point, you may have to travel some distance to find one. I had to travel 750 miles to get mine, but I didn't mind, it was part of the adventure.

In my opinion, unless it comes with a full warranty, forget the demo.

#29 ·
I don't understand, why not just get a new leftover 14 Touring that comes with a full warranty? Just google it. Anyone who is considering buying any 14 MTS should be taking advantage of Ducati's current promotional offer of $2,500 off the top, and then add in your negotiating skills by having them take of the freight, set up fees, etc, you can get it around $16k. But I have to admit, it's slim pickings at this point, you may have to travel some distance to find one. I had to travel 750 miles to get mine, but I didn't mind, it was part of the adventure.

In my opinion, unless it comes with a full warranty, forget the demo.

I agree, plenty of other fish in the ocean and for about $600, you could get a brand new bike shipped to you from anywhere in the US.

#28 ·
I have a 2014 multi it's been good so far only has 3500 miles fuel sensor cooling tank has a small leak that's it. I had the oil and filter and ecu updated. This ecu update was great the bike is running good. 2800 to about 3400 rpm a real improvement and a lot smothered. Had a great ride today in the mountains this is how it should had been from day one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.