Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some screen options. I'd like a short one for sport, and a big ass one for touring. Are the mounting points the same for them all or is the 1260 unique?

·
Registered
642 Posts
1260 uses the 3 hole pattern, some of the earlier MTS1200s used a 4 hole mount, but anything that was designed for the 2015+ bikes will work fine.

I have basically the setup you're looking for, a large touring screen, much larger than the OE windscreen, and a shorty sport screen, made of dark colored Lexan. Both are from CalSci. The shorty screen is about as small as is practically possible; any smaller and it wouldn't fit the profile of the bike. It provides no wind protection, but you get clean air.

The large touring screen is better in every way than the OE screen, except one: It's so tall that the top of the screen is pretty close to your face, in the high position. Does a great job with wind protection and noise reduction. Also, the optical clarity of CalSci screens is always exceptional, this one is no different.

·
Registered
159 Posts
any 1260 will fit yours.

I have a Puig Short Windscreen for 2011. I really like it. they make one for your 1260 as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
1260 uses the 3 hole pattern, some of the earlier MTS1200s used a 4 hole mount, but anything that was designed for the 2015+ bikes will work fine.

I have basically the setup you're looking for, a large touring screen, much larger than the OE windscreen, and a shorty sport screen, made of dark colored Lexan. Both are from CalSci. The shorty screen is about as small as is practically possible; any smaller and it wouldn't fit the profile of the bike. It provides no wind protection, but you get clean air.

The large touring screen is better in every way than the OE screen, except one: It's so tall that the top of the screen is pretty close to your face, in the high position. Does a great job with wind protection and noise reduction. Also, the optical clarity of CalSci screens is always exceptional, this one is no different.
What specs did you go with? I always wanted one for my previous GTS and now I really would like one for my 1260. They are a couple hours from me and need to find time to head that way but would like more feedback. I'd like to reduce wind noise, maybe a light smoke. Pictures?

@MultiStanda you can always go with the Pikes Peak or Enduro Pro windscreen. Both use a small windscreen.

·
Registered
642 Posts
AFAIK they aren't custom making screens for the MTS, they've got four offerings, the shorty in tinted, thinner material, and a medium, large, and XL, all of which have the turbulence reducing cutout, and are made of the thicker, clear material. I went with the shorty and the large. I think the XL would be too much, the large screen is as close to my helmet visor as I'd be comfortable with, fully extended.

I'll take some pictures and post this afternoon.

One thing to note about the CalSci screens, they use a slightly different mounting method than OE. I would argue it's better, the screen is designed to break away at the mount points without requiring the plexiglass to break. As someone who has gone over the handlebar on a motorcycle, I know which one I'd rather have to go through on my way off the bike.

https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Stradaprod.html

·
Premium Member
4,377 Posts
I bought the DP Carbon Fiber windscreen from a board member to try out. I was thinking I'd switch back to the big screen for touring but I like the Airflow so much more with the short CF screen I've not bothered. I don't imagine there are many shorter windscreens available.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought the DP Carbon Fiber windscreen from a board member to try out. I was thinking I'd switch back to the big screen for touring but I like the Airflow so much more with the short CF screen I've not bothered. I don't imagine there are many shorter windscreens available.
the DP carbon one is the one that is standard on the pikes peak right? I LOVE the look of it, but damn its 460 bucks

·
Registered
468 Posts
I did the same, except for using one of the eBay ripoffs. I've done long freeway days and can’t imagine going back to a tall screen. Of course down here in SoCal I don’t have rain or cold to deal with. I’m optimizing for airflow into the vents of my helmet.

·
Premium Member
4,377 Posts
I did the same, except for using one of the eBay ripoffs. I've done long freeway days and can’t imagine going back to a tall screen. Of course down here in SoCal I don’t have rain or cold to deal with. I’m optimizing for airflow into the vents of my helmet.
I was thinking initially that I'd need the tall screen when touring to prevent fatigue - but while wind pressure does increase it's really not bad. The CF screen in the high position moves most of the air to your helmet and I can pretty much ride forever that way. The REAL reason I may switch back to the tall screen occasionally is when it's cold... all that additional air makes you that much colder when it's below 45F, so spring and fall riding I may use the tall screen. The plus side is when the temps are over 75f that short screen provides excellent airflow to your helmet and jacket.

·
Premium Member
4,377 Posts
the DP carbon one is the one that is standard on the pikes peak right? I LOVE the look of it, but damn its 460 bucks
IIRC I paid $300 for it used... which I'd do again in a second... but nearly $500, yea that's a lot.

Here it is on my (non-Pikes Peak) bike:

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,849 Posts
I'd recommend checking out MRA. I have one on my 2014 but I'm pretty sure they make screens for the newer bikes. I have the short one and just bought a "touring" one that's still kinda small compared to some but I don't have pics of that yet. Both give you clean air however the short one pictured below is a bit much for a day if you're going over a couple hundred miles or super slabbing it.

This is the short one:

·
Registered
34 Posts
For those looking for a reasonably priced replica of the pikes peak windscreen, there's motocomposites out of Canada. I ordered one and was given a 5 week wait time (none in stock), so there's a bit of a wait. I've heard good things about their products, but I'll reserve final judgement until I get the screen.

Pick which model year you have at the top: https://www.motocomposites.com/categories/shop-by-make-model/ducati/multistrada.html

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Looking for some screen options. I'd like a short one for sport, and a big ass one for touring. Are the mounting points the same for them all or is the 1260 unique?
just installed the DP Enduro screen on my Multi 1260 S ... so far, its preforming just like the short screen I had on my Multi 1200 ... almost zero wind buffeting, much quieter than the stock screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just installed the DP Enduro screen on my Multi 1260 S ... so far, its preforming just like the short screen I had on my Multi 1200 ... almost zero wind buffeting, much quieter than the stock screen.

Wow, that actually looks like exactly what Im looking for! Thank you for the picture, can you tuck behind it for some sport riding?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For those looking for a reasonably priced replica of the pikes peak windscreen, there's motocomposites out of Canada. I ordered one and was given a 5 week wait time (none in stock), so there's a bit of a wait. I've heard good things about their products, but I'll reserve final judgement until I get the screen.

Pick which model year you have at the top: https://www.motocomposites.com/categories/shop-by-make-model/ducati/multistrada.html
Thank you very much. How is the quality vs the DP stuff?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
the DP Enduro windscreen is of the same high quality as the OEM windscreen.

and I can tuck behind it when required ... but I find it not required for long touring, for even short blasts up in the mountain twisties that are local to me.

many years of running a short wind screen on my Multi 1200 has spoiled me to using short screens.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have about 3 more weeks of waiting until it ships to me, but I'll post a review when it gets here. They came highly rated by my dealer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts