Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! I've read a number of posts about this over the years, and have also talked myself outta doing it as many times. I'm not really interested in performance gains this time(don't want to lose tho!), this mod is for aesthetics only. They're simply too long.

I have no qualms about cutting things up; however, chopping into expensive titanium is difficult to 'un-do'.

So, a question to those who have done it; how much louder do they get?

I like my neighbours, and vice versa...

Thx!

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Rough estimate on sound increase, if you cut off 1/3 of the length it’s sort of proportionate, about 1/3 louder, when I did some cheap cans. They changed them from too quiet to loud enough to enjoy a little. So I guess it depends how loud they are now, because they’re not going to get quieter. What are you cutting them with ? Real Titanium ? Tough stuff. Don’t slip. Measure Twice.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Why don’t you cut them a bit longer than you really want. That way, if you f_ k it up you get a second chance ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've only shortened CF before, never metal. The concept is the same. I took the end cap off first to see how it went together. For my Termi's the perforated core was longer than the sleeve. So I had to cut them the same length off so the ratio stayed the same. I uses large hose clamp as a guild for cutting so the cut was straight. Angle grinder with the thinnest wheel I could find too. I didn't have access to a chop saw like some people use.

Search online, find the method that uses the tools you are comfortable with.

Like duc96cr said cut longer then you want or be willing to go shorter. My pipe was 16" long, I wanted to cut off 4" (25%). I messed up the first cut so now they are 11" long. I actually wouldn't mind shorter but performance might go down. Also the way mine mount the mounting clamp would have to go somewhere else.

What exhaust are you thinking of cutting?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.
Cutting is not a problem; measure twice, cut once.

They sound great now, I just don't want to get obnoxious.

I have a set of Moto Corse, that, ideally, I would like to shorten by seven or eight inches. Realistically, probably five.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts