Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to find a bike that fits my frame without modification - the MTS is no exception. I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I just added the Ducati "Smoked Plexiglass" windshield and the Ducati "Shorty" seat.

Perfect!

The windshield is actually the same height as stock, but it has a bit of a lip on the top to deflect wind up and over. I was concerned that this would not get me what I wanted, but it turned out to be perfect.

With the shield all the way up, the wind is over the top of my head with NO beffeting. Down all the way, and the wind is at my face and smooth.

I have seen a lot of complaints on the seat, but I like it. It does not really give you better reach to the ground, but it pushes you forward due to the slope of the seat. Puts me in the perfect position, and I will NOT need bar risers.

Looking forward to my next long ride. Just wanted to share for those who are vertically challenged like me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm glad it works for you. Can you send a link to which screen you are talking about? Is it the Ducati Smoked Plexiglas screen? I ask because Ducati states it is the same as stock only tinted.

I too bought the short seat. It definitely makes a difference, but it is not as comfortable. There is less padding, slanted and it is narrower. I will use this for most of my riding around town, but will definitely put the stock seat on for a highway commute.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm glad it works for you. Can you send a link to which screen you are talking about? Is it the Ducati Smoked Plexiglas screen? I ask because Ducati states it is the same as stock only tinted.
Ducati says it is the same size as the "clear oversized windscreen" so it might be a bit larger?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the pic I posted. It is wider at the top with more of a forward sweeping lip at the top. Big difference versus stock for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Another short rider here... i heard the short seat was uncomfortable. How cushy is it compared to stock? Also how much closer are to the ground compared to stock?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got to ride a bit today. Did a 100 miler with the new, Ducati short seat and...It is uncomfortable indeed. May a$$ and inner thighs friggin' ache. I'm going to put the stock seat back on, and I'll report back after my next jaunt.

Note the new windshield is perfect!

Lastly, I was testing things out, and the back brake does indeed suck. Can't believe how fast the ABS kicks in...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Short seat

I've got a short seat, and it's OK - never rode with the standard, I just felt like it was a little too far to the ground for my 30 inch inseam. After an hour or so I can tell I've been sitting, but not so badly that I need to stop.

I had Rick Mayer customize a BMW seat for me, with about a 30% improvement in comfort, so once it gets too cold to ride I may send the shorty to him.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Like any new seat, your body has to get used to it...just like bicycle saddles. My first ride on the low seat was painful, but the second was not as bad. I did two, 5 hour rides back to back with both seats and I prefer the stock seat for long rides....however I did find the low seat more comfortable than my first trip. I did notice that using the low seat translates to the windscreen being higher which helps.

I just did 5 hours with the new Puig Touring screen. It made a difference over stock, but maybe only 20%.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yes, I know that the average American male is 5'10" but I still wouldn't consider 2" under the average to be short. I'm 5'9" and in the NYC banking industry, I was a midget!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
5' 6.77" With an inside leg of 28.987 (depending on how 'intimate' the measurer is). 5'8"? ....luxury!!! Without lowering the bike at all I'm pretty happy with it now, except off-road...when I could do with longer legs for sure!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Indeed MTS is tall bike. I'm 5'4" .. Riding with low seat and slightly thicker boot, half foot on one side when the bike stops.. Initially was difficult, practice makes perfect..

·
Registered
180 Posts
I improved the comfort of the short seat by taking a belt sander to it (after removing cover).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts