Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my yusa, with a shorai 18ah. It made a world of difference on start up, this is the way it should come out of the factory ! Wow I'll never go back to a yusa
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Nice to hear some one had a great experience w/ a Shorai 18LFX. I was big time disappointed w/ my LFX18. IMO they have some serious internal issue's to resolve with this battery. I had two which didn't work well at all. I can't even say that my LFX 18 started my 1038cc kitted 999 any more efficiently than my Yuasa.
Would be cool if Yuasa developed a battery with more CCA.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Yeah works great on my 06 999R too.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Not too happy with my Shorai 18ah as well. Works sometimes, not others. Better now that the weather's better, but that was not part of the discussion when I bought mine last October. Jury's out, so far as I'm concerned. I tell people to wait for the next generation. This one's oversold.

Ron

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
very pleased with the performance of mine,had it for year now.it's been well documented about it's poor charge at cold temps.zdm,somethings got to be goofy with your bike,with the multiple batterys you have gone through,the starter -upgraded wires etc it should start perfect.my 03 hasn't ever had a starting issue ever, until the stock battery went dead,thats with 60,000km's on it.cold it will turn over maybe twice,warm it fires soon as you hit the starter.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have 2 of them. One for the 996 and one for the SS. Both bikes love em.
When it's cold out you just need to turn flip the key and get the fuel pump going then let it sit for a few secs. I let it sit till the Hids are fully lit then it starts right up one the first click. These batteries like to be a bit warm. I also replaced the 996s starting and ground wires with the motolectic wire kit and that made a huge difference when starting.
The 996 has hids, some extra lighting and an alarm. The batt has no problem.

1st gen had a prob with weak terminals but it was addressed in the 2nd gen.

Soo.. Anyone else have this thing zip tied into the bat box on a 996?? Still haven't got around to making a better clamp yet..lol

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Having problems on my 06 999R. Wouldn't hold a charge. Now's it's completely dead and the Shorai dedicated charger BMS01 is refusing to charge it (beeping noises and both lights flashing). Waiting for Shora Sunnyvale to get more in stock for replacement. Weather is so nice out this weekend :( Looks like it'll be the R1 that gets to come out this weekend.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Aside from batt failure sounds like a bad ground or open circuit. Time to bust out the multimeter and start checking amp draw.

Could be a bad regulator.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,733 Posts
Soo.. Anyone else have this thing zip tied into the bat box on a 996?? Still haven't got around to making a better clamp yet..lol
Takes around 10 minutes to make a clamp.

Attachments

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Have the 21a (leftover from another bike I had) in my MTS12s. The issues I've had with the batteries were with other bikes and Shorai's recoomended size (for the specific bike) on their website but they remedied each with a higher spec battery. As for the battery's performance in the lower temps, they work, but one has to follow the warm-up procedures to help the battery along. On top of it all they offer good customer service. They're not the end-all but I personally enjoy the weight savings they provide (no, I don't need to lose body weight) and relative low cost (versus carbon trim, etc.) to do so.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
There's been a Yuasa in every bike I've owned since 1976. Never had a problem with them. In my Ducs they last abut 3 yrs.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,733 Posts
The Shorai in my 748 hasn't missed a beat since I fitted it, I also bought a Ballistic 4 cell for the Triumph Daytona project bike which I just finished the electricals on.
Fitted the battery, turned everything on, headlamps, horn, running lights, the battery held steady at 13.0 volts with a 6 amp load. The static voltage was 13.4v...... this with a battery that has sat on the shelf in it's original box without charging since it arrived 9 months ago, so I'm impressed.
I needed a very light small unit as all the electrics including the battery are under the seat hump and the ballistic fitted the bill perfectly.
I do live in a tropical climate to be fair so can't comment on the cold temp performance of these Li-Po4 units but what I see so far is encouraging.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Love those zip ties . . . .

Yep, on my 996 I went ahead and zip tied my Shorai into place because the original clamp, even when modified, wouldn't snug down the battery from moving around under aggressive riding and rough road conditions. Also, is it just me or does no one else notice or care that the intended recharging port is worthless in the current configuration of this battery? Good thing I didn't intend to use the factory recharging system when I bought the battery because there's no way to plug that sucker in without removing the battery first, which of course is totally non-sensical.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So when we are talking about "cold" and warming up the battery. What temps are we talking?

Under 60degF? Under 70degF?

In the fall I am often out riding on 45-60 Deg days.

I'm interested in trying out a new battery for my 916. It never has seemed to turn over like it should.

However I have heard very mixed reviews of all the new battery technology.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks. Copied here for the lazy.

Q. I hear that lithium crank poorly when it gets cold, is that right?
A.Lithium do increase in resistance more as temperature drops, compared to lead-acid. However, they also react to cranking under cold conditions in a much better way. Lead-acid will increase resistance on each subsequent cranking attempt, until it won’t turn over. If your LFX fails to start the engine on first crank, that first crank has warmed the battery, and the second attempt will be much stronger, and so on until you get a good start.

Shorai LFX are much better in cold-weather conditions than other-brand lithium starter batteries, due to our eXtreme-rate formulation with low resistance. Down to about 20 degrees fahrenheit (-7C) most users find that they can start normally on first crank. If your headlight comes on at key-ON, it is good for the batteries to flow some current before cranking in cold weather. The suggested headlight-on time before cranking depends on the temperature. If starting at 40f (5C), 30 seconds will help wake the battery and increase cranking performance. If at 0f (-17C), leave the lights on for 4~5 minutes before cranking. The result will be a better first crank, and longer battery life. Any other accessories that can be turned on before cranking can also be used for this purpose, such as heated gear, radio, etc...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Replacing the starting circut and ground wire really improved starts on my 996. one of the best mods so far. Little high in price at first but after a few months now it was worth it. There are a few kits out there or you could build it yourself. I went motolectic and love it! Fires up on the first click every time.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've had a Yuasa on my 748 for over 2 years now. when not being used it lives on a battery tender. If I don't ride for over 3 weeks, the startup is a little rough, meaning, the engine starts up strong but It won't stay on by itself till its fully warmed up. Once I get going though its fine. IF I ride it for 15-20 minutes, turn it off, then on again, its starts up perfectly with no hesitation. The battery tender is what every battery needs, IMO.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts