Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry for another Shorai thread. But the question is rather specific.

For those with a Shorai LFX-18A1, what does your voltage on your dash indicate after 2-3 start attempts?

On my 999R, before a start the dash indicates 13.7V, which according to Shorai's website is over 90% full.

After my first start attempt which lasts for about 4 seconds the voltage goes down to 12.7-12.9. Again, according to Shorai's website this will be less 10%!!!

After my third attempt the voltage goes down to 12.2V!

Do Ducati motors actually drain 90% of the Shorai battery after 3 attempts?

·
Registered
151 Posts
My 18A1 on my 749 retains voltage levels much better than my Yuasa lead battery. Sometimes I will need to crank for over a minute total (not continuously of course), to get it started, and the Shorai never drops below 12v. I will say that shutting the ignition down completely between crank cycles for 10-20 seconds seems to help. When i turn it back on, the volts usually only read about 0.1 or 0.2 less than the before the previous crank cycle.
Be sure to check you your voltage level when you first turn on the ignition before you crank it. Mine usually read between 13.1 and 13.4 volts.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I doubt that it will drain 90% in 3 attempts.
I think Shorai has a consistent quality problem.
My Shorai read 14v new, but never more than 12.7 afterwards.
Some people have no problems at all, while others wish they didn't.
When asked about it, I never recommend Shorai based on my experience. It really is not worth the hassle; even worse when you add the fact that Shorai's are so expensive. My Yuasa lasted 5 years and 30k miles. This Shorai, I suspect will die anytime(less than 1 yr).
This battery will take almost 10 tries if it's below 50 degrees. WTH!!!!

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I would contact Shorai with this information. They may end up sending you a new battery.

-M

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some people have no problems at all, while others wish they didn't.
When asked about it, I never recommend Shorai based on my experience. It really is not worth the hassle; even worse when you add the fact that Shorai's are so expensive. My Yuasa lasted 5 years and 30k miles. This Shorai, I suspect will die anytime(less than 1 yr).
This battery will take almost 10 tries if it's below 50 degrees. WTH!!!!
Well, this is my 2nd replacement. While they did replace the battery this time around, to be honest Shawn Higbee (Shorai's Technical Director) stopped responding my email inquiries. I actually had to forward my emails to Shorai's other email contacts in order to get the battery replaced.

So while I did get a new battery, I felt that Shorai didn't really want to deal with me much longer. Maybe it's a gut feeling, but it's a feeling I got regardless. If this battery ends up dying on me, I'll give Ballistic or some other vendor a shot.

So back on topic...any more feedback anyone? :)

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,736 Posts
Might be wise to check your starter current draw before condemning a battery manufacturer.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I had a Shorai 18LFX and it would completely shut itself down causing my clock in need of being reset. No big deal, but I would have never known there was an issue unless the clock was affected. Evidentally the battery will shut itself down when over stressed. It's important with the 999 at least to let it go thru the crank cycle, wait 10-15 seconds, attempt again. You will wear a battery out hitting the starter over and over again. My contact at Shorai was Shawn also, he was fantastic, they sent me out another and it did the exact same thing. When I re-installed my YUASA everything was fine. The Shorai did have exceptional recovery after initial cranking cycle. Although mine would dip into the high 9v then recover quickly. My 999 has a 1038cc overbore kit, HC pistons, etc. So this might have stressed the battery more than a stock 999. I ended up sending it back and sticking with my YUASA as the 2nd battery had the same auto shut down issue.
After FBF rebuilt my lower end I had another cranking issue which ended up just being due to the cold weather. They did have my 999 for nearly 4 weeks checking the entire electrical system. It was found to be operating perfectly so the Shorai issue wasn't due to an electrical problem on my end.
Shorai was exceptional about the whole refund thing though...I wish it would have worked out as it really cranked like a bear, overbore kit, HC pistons and all!

·
Registered
213 Posts
My 18A1 on my 749 retains voltage levels much better than my Yuasa lead battery. Sometimes I will need to crank for over a minute total (not continuously of course), to get it started, and the Shorai never drops below 12v. I will say that shutting the ignition down completely between crank cycles for 10-20 seconds seems to help. When i turn it back on, the volts usually only read about 0.1 or 0.2 less than the before the previous crank cycle.
Be sure to check you your voltage level when you first turn on the ignition before you crank it. Mine usually read between 13.1 and 13.4 volts.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Always wait between cranks my 996 with a YUASA take's a few attempts to get it to turn over
always did.
A little trick I learned after my 888 days was to invest in a euro headlight shut off switch. Puts all the power to the starter. Also good for when the bike gets hot an the fan comes on , I shut the headlight off.
Also have the Shorai in my Monster 900 and the Ballistic in my 748

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Always wait between cranks my 996 with a YUASA take's a few attempts to get it to turn over
always did.
A little trick I learned after my 888 days was to invest in a euro headlight shut off switch. Puts all the power to the starter. Also good for when the bike gets hot an the fan comes on , I shut the headlight off.
Also have the Shorai in my Monster 900 and the Ballistic in my 748
I agree. I really don't see Ducati's logic in turning the headlights on before the motor is even started. The Japanese are smart, my R1 headlights don't come on until after the motor is started.

I added a $3 switch from Radio Shack so I can turn off my Ducati's headlights.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,736 Posts
Thing is with a LiPo battery in cold weather it helps to turn the headlamps on for a minute or so to wake the battery up.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
The only electrcal improving mod that I've come across that works w/o issue is the Motolectric cable kit. It does improve the efficiency of the OEM electrical system w/o affecting other components. It actually works, imagine that! That said it I did notice the extra heft of the YUASA battery after riding around with the Shorai for a while...didn't notice it visa-versa....when I removed the YUASA for the Shorai. Hopefully a nice light battery will come to market that works w/o issue and is cost effective......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts