Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Yuasa batteries have always served me well. I see no reason to switch to a battery that requires constant charging & a warming up period for cold weather, especially at double the cost.

Lead acid batteries arte simple ...and provven..that being said the Shorai Battery chemistry has its own appeal...though not for everyone..
I have used them for several years..with good results.
My issue with them has been the charger...it fried twio batteries before I replaced it...I have a new charger ready for its replacement Shorai!
I got about 3 years out of them...went back to AGM last fall
I also added a digital voltmeter to monitor the battery,charge state ...also adds peace of mind
Mike S

·
Super Moderator
25,970 Posts
Shorai batteries WILL hold a charge for an extended period of time...provided your bike does not have a parasitic draw and Ducatis are notorious for parasitic draw. If it's going to sit, no matter the battery, unhook the hot lead.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Shorai here too. My battery is 3 years old and right where I want it to be. I do the same as Chuckracer and disconnect the hot lead. Over the long winter months just monitor the charge condition. I very occasionally give the idle battery a bit of a trickle charge for part of a day. Seems to work for me.

·
Registered
308 Posts
While lithium ion batteries are much lighter and often have more CCA they are generally significantly lower in amp hours, often about a third.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Shorai in my 916 for the last few years, quite happy with it as the bike fires up much more readily compared with the old Yuasa (which spat acid over the frame). I don't care about cold weather starting, this is a fair weather only bike. I either disconnect or use the Shorai charger in store mode over the winter, then charge mode one time when spring comes.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts