Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
I got a Shorai, and it was good for a while. It's in a 748s, in SoCal so cold start isn't an issue. It's possible the dealership ran it dead and recharged it incorrectly. That being said, it died a slow death over a couple days I could feel it coming.

In everything I read here, and in other forums it seems like you can go with Shorai if you live in consistent warm weather, and can get the Shorai tender on the bike. I never see anyone who puts theirs on a tender have any problem. But if you live in the cold, you might. If you can't tender it, you might. Might might might might....I'm gonna tap out and go with a Yussa gel or whatever standard crap they use in caveman days.

Yeah the Shorai is lighter, but I live in apartments and can't tender it so I think it's not for me.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I've had an older model Shorai and a recent brand new one. Older one came with button head allen screws at battery terminals. New one came with hex head bolts (same size of course).

I'm convinced the inability to properly torque the main leads to the battery with the button head allen screws is problematic. Prior to receipt of the new battery, I substituted new hex head bolts onto the old battery. It was a game changer. Keep in mind, when tightening the ends of my battery cables to various accessories, I again used hex head bolts and tightened very well.
It is needed to do so as there are as many wires as a Bombay electric street connection. Tough to get the things tight and stay that way. But with bolts at the ends of the battery cables and hooked up to the accessory wires, the new battery continues to work fine.

If you have a Shorai charger, it works well. There is a way to check the cells for consistency with each other if it is left in store mode for 24+ hours. Cells should be same or extremely close. I'll get a copy posted soon.

STeve

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
My remote Shorai install allowing for disconnect when not used

I obtained the cable from Speed cell. Just measured the approx length and placed under seat. The blue connection blocks are very convenient to prevent parasitic draw on battery when not used during the season. As you can see, the proprietary Shorai charger cable is connected to the battery to allow for it to be kept in store mode over the winter.

Speedcell web shop: https://shopspeedcell.com/collections/all

Attachments

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Far end of cable terminates at battery box. I used small bolts to secure the various leads to the +(ive) and -(ive) ends. It allows a very secure clamping at that point. It also allows for complete removal of battery w/o removing fairing. So far, so good.

S

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Info below from Shorai. Pics as to measuring the cells to come in following posts.

S

Discharge Rate of the Shorai LFX Shorai LFX: What Is Normal?

It is normal for the LFX lithium iron phosphate batteries to discharge to their nominal voltage of 13.2V over a period of time. The voltage drop is noticeably non-linear and drops quickly from 14.4V to 13.9V, then more slowly from 13.9V to 13.6V, and then much more slowly from 13.6V to 13.3V. Then finally, the voltage drops considerably slower from 13.3V to 13.1V. So, if you notice that initial drop in voltage at first, this is completely normal. If fully charged and then disconnected from any amperage draw, a healthy LFX battery will not drop past 13.1V for approximately one year if the beginning voltage was full charge, or 14.4V. Although I personally prefer to charge a battery with low amperage (no more than 2A) more than once a year if on the bench, but it is not entirely necessary as long as it began at full voltage before being placed in storage. I do find that my batteries can become imbalanced the longer I wait.

You can increase your capacity to the full 14.4V (7.2V for 6 Volt batteries) by completing several (usually no more than 3) consecutive charge cycles with the Shorai Charger. Press the charge button until it triple beeps until it displays a solid green light (or turns off after 15 minutes if you have a charger with the new California-mandated power saving feature). You can check with a voltmeter to determine after each charge cycle as to if you have reached 14.4V (7.2V for 6 Volt batteries). Occasionally this can be done throughout the life of the battery to ensure that it is still reaching 14.4V (7.2V for 6V batteries).

You should only be concerned if the battery voltage dropped from full charge (14.4V) to below 13.1V in less than 24 hours with no load (on the bench, or disconnected from the bike).

Best Regards,

Marianne Guarena

Customer Service & Warranty Manager

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Preliminary pics: Check to see if it wobbles. If it does or is rounded when you place it on a flat surface that means it outgassed and a cell has expanded.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sounds like it may be time to check the charging system on your ST. Well documented issues with voltage regulator, stator and connections could be your problem.
After I replaced the battery with a new Shorai, I religiously put a Shorai charger on the battery even though an on board battery monitor showed it charged. This battery died within three days while properly connected to a Shorai charger. Themhattery monitor showed the battery to be dead, and the bike would not start.

So, I doubt the problem is charging system related, but i’m very apt to be wrong.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've had an older model Shorai and a recent brand new one. Older one came with button head allen screws at battery terminals. New one came with hex head bolts (same size of course).

I'm convinced the inability to properly torque the main leads to the battery with the button head allen screws is problematic. Prior to receipt of the new battery, I substituted new hex head bolts onto the old battery. It was a game changer. Keep in mind, when tightening the ends of my battery cables to various accessories, I again used hex head bolts and tightened very well.
It is needed to do so as there are as many wires as a Bombay electric street connection. Tough to get the things tight and stay that way. But with bolts at the ends of the battery cables and hooked up to the accessory wires, the new battery continues to work fine.

If you have a Shorai charger, it works well. There is a way to check the cells for consistency with each other if it is left in store mode for 24+ hours. Cells should be same or extremely close. I'll get a copy posted soon.

STeve
I’m becoming far too adept at removing the ST3 fairing. How many feet and what gage wire did you use for your remote battery installation?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
As I recall it was about three to three and a half feet. The gauge of the wire is provided by the company manufacturing the extended cable. Don't know what gauge it is. You can call them and ask. Steve

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Shorai also died while it was on a Shorai charger. It was my third Shorai, all of which have died premature deaths while using the dedicated charger. which is $80 and only charges Shorai batteries.
I have a ST4S which does not seem to have charging issues. The Shorai always worked fine on trips. On one trip to Oregon/Idaho, I lost my clutch and had to go about 900 miles without one. The Shorai had enough juice to start my bike in gear which I had to do when I caught a light I could not run or make a right turn at and it was slightly or more uphill, so no Flintstoning in neutral to pop it into gear to start it.
My latest solution was to buy an Antigravity Battery with the jump start feature which I find appealing as it allegedly protects against over discharge. I have one in a race car which is 3 or 4 years old and sits between seasons for six months but after that six months with no trickle charger, it fires up a 3.4 liter high compression Porsche race motor as though it just came off a charger.
I do use the Optimate charger at times, their trickle charger, .8 amps for Lithium batteries is about $58.00 delivered from Amazon. It will charge any lithium battery.
I just put an antigravity in my KTM 500 EXC based on my experience with the car. It weighs 1.5 pounds but has twice the cranking power of the Yuasa that came with the bike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Greetings, I have used a Shorai in my ST3 for around 5 years, I have done 4 separate trips from Whitehorse Yukon through California, New Mexico and the rest of the western US and Canada - never had a problem with the battery. The only issue you have to be aware of is when you store the bike - you either have to remove the battery or use a charger as the bike will drain the battery over the winter and once the battery drains below, I think 8 volts (could be wrong) it is difficult to bring it back to life.

Mike

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Shorai Battery

I have had Shorai batteries for the past few years.
If you allow the battery to discharge too far it will be toast...
I know this as I did it twice!!!
Evidently I didnt learn my lesson the first time so I did it again...cause ...you know...I wanted to waste 180.00 bucks for no good reason...
The battery failed me again a month or two back but I blame the charger on it...the Shorai charger should have kicked in when the voltage went down...it didnt...
Battery became a rock...but a VERY lightweight rock!!
I purchased a new Shorai charger as they were on sale for 50.00 bucks or so...then due to the lateness of the season here in Mi. I got an AGM locally...Ill do a Shorai later on next Spring or maybe not...
For a bike that sees the country I would tend to go with a battery/charger that is common...AGM...DelTran Tender...
But I also recomend having a battery meter that shows the stste of battery voltage...
Did that on my ST4S and my friends ST3
Mike S

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was considering a Shorai for the 2006 ST3s abs, but after having a 1 year old Shorai crap out on the 2008 Triumph Tiger abs, I am looking closely at LT Snyder's recommendation on Bike Master Gel or Li ion, p. 132 4th edition.

Details of failure. I bought the Shorai 12/2017 since I wanted a battery that could stay dormant for 2 weeks and still start the bike. For over 2 years, it always started every week to 2 weeks and I never had to wait to "warm" up in the SF Bay Area (40-100F) or leave it on a tender.

In Dec. of 2018, I bought a Deltran dual Acid/Lithium Battery Tender specifically for the lead acid battery of the newly purchased ST3s. Then, I decided to connect it to the Tiger's Lithium battery using the dual mode set to Lithium. No charging just float mode as the indicator light was not flashing.

The next morning, the head lights did not light and turning the key over, there was zero power. I check the voltage with a meter and it was 2 volts.

There are some possible other explanations, but my gut tells me that the float mode of the Deltran Battery Tender in Li mode may have overcharged my Shorai. Or, the battery just coincidentally crapped out after 2 years.

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
Started the multi after months of sitting. Battery is 3+ years old. 12.8 V reading on dash before cranking, fired right up with some mild cranking. When I bought it I put it on trickle charge for a short time maybe 1/2 hour or so. Gas was a month or 2 old, max. Fresh fuel after siphoning the "stale gas"out, bike is in a heated garage.
I am under the impression that it should hold a charge for extended periods of time. I do start the bike at least every couple of months and run it till the fans activate. So far so good

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's good to hear. I will take another chance & buy one for st3s, but I do not plan to trickle charge or float charge as it will be ridden every week to two weeks - some things are still possible in CA.

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
If you HAVE to rely on a charger them something is wrong, good cables with good contacts good ground should be all you need. Put some rpms to it when it sits for a while when you are warming it up between extended non use. Turn off the high beams and all other power users (GPS PHONES RADAR DETECTORS HEATED GEAR etc.) for some time before you get home. And somes revs in the driveway before shutting down. I wouldn't buy a special charger.
On power tool batteries when they are DEAD dead I have seen videos where you jump just 2
of the multiple contacts from a good battery for just a minute then they charged normally!??? Worth a try ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yuasa batteries have always served me well. I see no reason to switch to a battery that requires constant charging & a warming up period for cold weather, especially at double the cost.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts