Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a list? I was quoted $1200.00 for 6,000 mile service

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
I thinkk I saw somewhere where the average valve interval service being around the 1-1,200 dollar range. I think that it really comes down to dealer. And who you feel has earned most of your business. So if youre going to pay about that in a 50 square mile radius then it should come down to who has the best service in yyour experience. Cheers! Sure feels good when its done :)

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
I flat rate a air cooled multistrada at 6 hours labor and then you add parts

A full tune will have for parts

belts
shims
oil filter
gasket for oil drain
gasket for sump screen
spark plugs
fuel filter
fuel filter clamps
brake clutch fluid.

so at dealer prices parts can add $200-300

You say 6000 mile service but what is the actual miles on the bike?
Around 18,000 you should change fork and shock oil
around 18,000 many 525 chains are worn out

Were there other things in the $1200 cost that you were given as $1200 seems high even at dealer $100 per hour shop rates. Do you know their hourly rate?
If you have a liquid cooled multi I flat rate that job at 10 hours as they are the worst so far to work on.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
aero52

Thank you for the link , I had to download it as I have been laughing at some of the times in there. It is a good read for sure but takes a minute to understand their methodology. No wonder some dealers are $$$$ as some of these times are ....generous, I need a job at a dealership If I will get paid 33 hours for every motor I build. I think I could work a short work week and still make more. I might have to "adjust" some of my labor times.

This should be required reading if you are thinking about a bike as you can somewhat read between the lines and see what bikes may cost down the road as they need service. 12 hours for a panigale valve adjust and that is not including the rest of the tune, crazy.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
A 2006 1000DS was about the time they went to 7500 mile major service, the 6500 mile to 7500 mile change was negligible so it matters little. The 15,000 or 18,000 mile services did not come for many years later. I do not think any air cooled motor has the long intervals.

Of course we are guessing the Op was talking about the bike listed in his signature, the price given does seem to fit a 4-valve better than a simple 2-valve.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
A 2006 1000DS was about the time they went to 7500 mile major service, the 6500 mile to 7500 mile change was negligible so it matters little. The 15,000 or 18,000 mile services did not come for many years later. I do not think any air cooled motor has the long intervals.

Of course we are guessing the Op was talking about the bike listed in his signature, the price given does seem to fit a 4-valve better than a simple 2-valve.
Yea even doing full service I'd have thought the air-cooled bikes would be easier on many levels compared to the LC versions. (easier access being the biggest help) Around $1200 is what most of us pay for our 1200's.

6000 mile desmo... ouch... I'd be doing 2 major services every 6 month riding season... that would seriously suck! I'd still love to have an aircooled multi but it'd definitely not be as a primary ride.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
6000 mile desmo... ouch
Yes if you are a high mile rider there was some "break in time" , what we found was that if you ran specific clearances instead of Ducati's huge spec that after about 3 adjusts you would see the valves settle down and we extended them to 10,000 miles and then 12,000 miles between major services with just a belt inspection light service between. The bikes were very capable of doing it once broken in. The newer motors I have done have been decent at 18,000 miles meaning I am adjusting most of the valves (much like a 6000 mile service) but not anything that will cause harm. The bikes do run better after adjusting back to where they run best so as long as they do not move much life is good.

The issue with 18,000 mile services is low mile riders will be out of warranty by the time it is done so any issues will be on the owners dime ( better to ride a lot) and if there is/was internal damage it gets caught early. If services were made to be easier instead of needlessly harder then cost should be lower and service would not be a dirty word. For reference a Major 4-valve service used to be at 1850 miles and then it doubled to 3700 miles around 1992. I picked up my 851 from a service took it on a weeks vacation and dropped it back off for a full service, one of the mechanics never noticed it was gone before it was back. ...lol. 3700 miles turned into 6500 miles and then 7500 miles. no differences were found between any of these changes.

But think of when the rocker arms were losing chrome on the desmoquattro rocker arms, these were only caught at services that now would not bee seen until 18,000miles. That's a long time to cause more damage to other components. I would still do a 6000 mile full service even on one of these long interval bikes just to cover break in, but that's me doing my own work. Would I pay someone to do a early service after break-in ? That is harder to say as some of the costs are so high at the "new Normal", ownership does not seem to be any cheaper with these longer intervals just fewer trips to the shop.

At $1200.00 for a 2 valve tune either they mis-quoted him or simply do not want to do many.

·
Registered
63 Posts
For comparison, here are the receipts from the 18k service done on my '15 MTS at Melillimoto this week. Sebastian is well known and trusted in the Ducati community. As you can see, this service was included in the sale of the bike, but it is a comprehensive list of the prescribed 18k service and labor by Master Ducati tech. Hope this helps.
Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
For comparison, here are the receipts from the 18k service done on my '15 MTS at Melillimoto this week. Sebastian is well known and trusted in the Ducati community. As you can see, this service was included in the sale of the bike, but it is a comprehensive list of the prescribed 18k service and labor by Master Ducati tech. Hope this helps.
Cheers!

Did you ask for Amsoil 10-40? I'd not go lighter in FL personally (or Amsoil, though that's just because I don't trust boutique oils)... wondering what the tech's thinking was.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Did you ask for Amsoil 10-40? I'd not go lighter in FL personally (or Amsoil, though that's just because I don't trust boutique oils)... wondering what the tech's thinking was.
I left it to Sebastian. With his reputation, if that's what he uses, I'm good with it. He's never steered me wrong in the past.
The local Jeep club swears by Amsoil for their rock crawling and mudder Jeeps, and talked me into using it in my CJ. I've not had issues in that application.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
4-valve Thank you
Okay well that's a different story, be sure to mention that in later posts as a 2-valve (which is the only bike you have listed in your signature) is quite different from a 4-valve as long as we we are talking 4-valve heads vs 4 valve motor. For a 4-valve head motor (1200?) then the $1200 price is much more in line with what a full service will be.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is a 2-valve. I don't know where I read or thought it was a 4-valve.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts