Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Well a bit of history here, I bought an 05 Ducati 749 salvage and only recently have I got it all running. I took first ride on it last night. Yay.

Now for the bad news. It rode great.. for awhile. Then the trans is stuck in higher gears, and won't downshift. I did all the work to it so far myself, but I'm a bit unsure of taking the trans apart myself.

Any dealers you recommend?

Any dealers you don't recommend?

I read in another thread, that someone else had the exact same problem, but the dealer in what I consider to be incredibly nice *warranteed* the trans problems. Amazing.

I'm crossing my fingers for the same. Wish me luck.

-Russell

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Recommend---Munroe Motors in San Fran. They have a shop in San Leandro and downtown. I use the east bay shop but never heard anything but good about both. Also HIGHLY recommended is Nichols Manufacturing. If there is a chance of warranty here, Nichols does you no good however. They are not a certified Duc shop and can't perform any warranty work. They are in Milpitas. Can't go wrong either way.

Don't recommend--- stay as clear as physically possible of Good Times in Sac!!

http://www.munroemotors.com/
http://www.nicholsmfg.com/mc.html

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'm not sure whether they do warranty service yet or not, but for all your other parts & service needs, I have only three words for you:

Mo
To
WHEELS!
http://www.motowheels.com

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

I think I'll do a bit of exploratory surgery. It'll be fun. Really.

Man, this sucks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
rustysrustyduc said:
Thanks guys.
Man, this sucks.
If you need someone to hand you a tool, shoot me a PM. I helped a friend who has a WS6 Camaro in Davis. Put in headers and complete rear end. I haven't touch a motorcycle yet and wouldn't mind looking over someone’s shoulder. I do have five years of aircraft maintenance experience so bloody knuckles aren't foreign to me. I will be back in town on June 3rd if you are going to wait that long to work on it yourself.

·
Registered
311 Posts
rustysrustyduc said:
Thanks guys.

Man, this sucks.
If you have adjustable levers, try adjusting the clutch lever furthest from the handle bar. That might give the pushrod enough throw to separate the plates enough to shift.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. Yeah, I started to work on the bike, and I now realize that the shift forks and whatnot are all behind the case and not really "easily" accessible. So I think its off to the dealer. I have to pray for divine warranty intervention. Because otherwise this bike is a total loss.

Or a case of serious "lets-take-this-thing-apart-and-never-ever-see-it-run-again"

Ugh. What a disappointment.

Thanks for the shifter comments guys. The bike was shifting great.. but now its stuck. Moving.. not moving.. engine running.. not running.. shifter.. or no shifter.. it just won't go down.

Thanks.

I'll go make some calls to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
rustysrustyduc said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. Yeah, I started to work on the bike, and I now realize that the shift forks and whatnot are all behind the case and not really "easily" accessible. So I think its off to the dealer. I have to pray for divine warranty intervention. Because otherwise this bike is a total loss.

Or a case of serious "lets-take-this-thing-apart-and-never-ever-see-it-run-again"

Ugh. What a disappointment.

Thanks for the shifter comments guys. The bike was shifting great.. but now its stuck. Moving.. not moving.. engine running.. not running.. shifter.. or no shifter.. it just won't go down.

Thanks.

I'll go make some calls to the dealer.
FWIW, Dude, taking the alternator cover off isn't that big a deal. I've done it several times, including once to unstick a stuck shifter fork on the 900FE. The one thing I'd say to be way more careful on than I was is this: the case cover bolts strip out really easily. So be gentle. :eek:

(This is from the "if I can do it, anyone can" department.)

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rob said:
FWIW, Dude, taking the alternator cover off isn't that big a deal. I've done it several times, including once to unstick a stuck shifter fork on the 900FE. The one thing I'd say to be way more careful on than I was is this: the case cover bolts strip out really easily. So be gentle. :eek:

(This is from the "if I can do it, anyone can" department.)
Really? Hmm..

So how do I "unstick" a stuck shifter fork once the cover is off? I only have parts drawings to go by for right now, and it really looked like the shifter forks and whatnot were all "in the cases" and not accessible by removing the alternator cover.

Actually, the only reason I stopped attempting to take the alternator cover off was I didn't have a way to pull the damn thing off. The gasket glue stuff has a pretty good hold on it right now.

Oh, and those case bolts were in there really, really lightly torqued. I was really surprised.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
rustysrustyduc said:
Really? Hmm..

So how do I "unstick" a stuck shifter fork once the cover is off? I only have parts drawings to go by for right now, and it really looked like the shifter forks and whatnot were all "in the cases" and not accessible by removing the alternator cover.

Actually, the only reason I stopped attempting to take the alternator cover off was I didn't have a way to pull the damn thing off. The gasket glue stuff has a pretty good hold on it right now.

Oh, and those case bolts were in there really, really lightly torqued. I was really surprised.
Okay, well, my experiences were on older model bikes -- a '98 SS/FE and a '97 748 -- so I wouldn't be surprised at all if the design has changed with the new superbikes, what with their new "modularization" of components and what-not. We all predicted when the first announcements were made that it would equate to less DIY projects and more money for replacement "modules."

Having said that, my stuck shifter fork got stuck during a lowside when the shift lever hit the ground. Opening the left case I discovered that the shifter fork was wedged...er...in a place that's tough to describe in an e-mail but was clearly not where it was supposed to be. All I did was grab a flathead screwdriver and unwedge it. It snapped back into the proper position and all was well with the world.

As far as pulling the case: yes, you need a puller. IIRC it's not too expensive to buy one, but I just fabbed one up with a scrap square of aluminum. Drilled two little holes where the little Ducati logo plate attaches to the case, and a bigger hole right in the center. Two bolts in the little holes with the same size and thread pattern as the Duc-plate screws to attach the puller to the cover, and then you just turn the big fat center bolt until the case comes loose.

If you think it'll help, I'll take a pic of the puller when I get home.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Rob,

No need for the pic, I think I get it. So what you are telling me is that the shifter fork was "unwedgeable" from taking the alternator cover off...

Hmm.. I know I'm not looking at photos, but the drawings from the parts manual don't look like thats the case. But what the heck, in for dime, in for a dollar.

I'll pull the alternator cover and see what I can get at. If I'm as lucky as you were, I'll be a pretty gosh darn happy guy!

Thats so cool that you fixed it without requiring new parts. Nice!

-Russell

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
rustysrustyduc said:
Thats so cool that you fixed it without requiring new parts. Nice!

-Russell
Yeah. I felt like a superhero for days. :) Best of luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts