Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been waiting for the appearance of the Neotec 2 before pulling the trigger on one as I quite enjoyed the original Neotec before it got destroyed by a deer . . . Now that they are slowly appearing on the market (if you can find one) I'm wondering if anybody had a chance to try on a 2 and would happen to have a comparison in fit to the first one. After talking to somebody at Shoei I was told that quite a few people have commented to go a whole size down as they run big . . . of course the best route would be to try them on prior to purchase but that's not as easy right now due to very limited availability . . .

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I too have been interested in this as my Neotech is getting on in age. As opposed to what you have heard, other models I've tried lately, the RF1200, the Gt Air, and the X14 all seem to me to be about 1/2 size smaller.

I'm am quite pissed off at the new Neotech moving to a special internal dedicated intercom system and f'ing up the outside of the helmet where an add on intercom would mount though. This to me is a deal breaker. I really think it was an intentional move to force buying the dedicated system.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm due for a new lid and I'm leaning towards the Tec 2 as well. As soon as I get a couple of classes worth of checks, I'll be contacting Shoei and get one. Currently have the GT Air, but it's due for a replacement.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered one and found the last one available before they were sold out in the size. Should get it in a few days and as soon as I do I'll report about the fit and such . . .

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,830 Posts
My Neotec 2 (first Shoei) arrived today and I rode about 15 miles in it. I've worn an Arai Vector 2 for the last 3 years and Vector 1 for 4 years or so before that. I'm a solid medium in Arai and while the Shoei feels a hair larger, I couldn't go down to a small.

So far:
- Modular is nice for obvious reasons (it's my first so I'm impressed)
- Wind noise is reduced compared to my Arai
- Drop down sun visor is nice
- Bottom of the helmet has a better contour and fit than my Arai. My Arai sits so low, it interferes with even a short collared jacket.
- I'm a fan of the ratcheting neck strap...I have forgotten to fasten mine more than once and trying to thread that while riding on the Arai is a difficult task.

- I like how the shield cracks open on the Arai better...smaller opening than the Shoei
- Not sure whether or not I'll be able to use my 20S (looks iffy), need to play with that some. The integrated unit SENA is making doesn't include MESH and is supposedly based on the 20S. While my 20S has started acting up...if I'm buying new, I'd rather have the newer tech.
- Ear pockets in the Arai feel to be larger but maybe that'll change some. I have normal to smaller sized ears and they need some encouragement to unfold after putting the helmet on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yesterday I received my Neotec 2 and today I got a nice 300 miles in and the helmet is a significant improvement over my original Neotec, also better in certain ways than my custom fitted Arai Corsair X! Love the new shield, the slight shape adjustments they did, ventilation is hugely improved but what I was impressed about the most is how little air (if any) now comes in through the bottom of the helmet!

·
Hammer Down
1,830 Posts
Yesterday I received my Neotec 2 and today I got a nice 300 miles in and the helmet is a significant improvement over my original Neotec, also better in certain ways than my custom fitted Arai Corsair X! Love the new shield, the slight shape adjustments they did, ventilation is hugely improved but what I was impressed about the most is how little air (if any) now comes in through the bottom of the helmet!
How does the sizing compare to the Neotec 1 out of curiosity?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How does the sizing compare to the Neotec 1 out of curiosity?

Seems almost the same, maybe a slight bit snugger. I was expecting it to be too large based on Shoei’s comments but it wasn’t. If need be I can get slightly thicker cheek pads to tighten it up a bit but at this point I think it fits the way it should. But of course it’s brand new ..... I got an L but based on Shoei comments I should’ve gotten an M which I think would have been way too small. My Arai is an XL so getting into any M would be challenging to say the least. But I didn’t try on any different size, I’d like to do that once I can find any other sizes ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
I too have been interested in this as my Neotech is getting on in age. As opposed to what you have heard, other models I've tried lately, the RF1200, the Gt Air, and the X14 all seem to me to be about 1/2 size smaller.

I'm am quite pissed off at the new Neotech moving to a special internal dedicated intercom system and f'ing up the outside of the helmet where an add on intercom would mount though. This to me is a deal breaker. I really think it was an intentional move to force buying the dedicated system.
I wonder if there's some killer deals on the previous gen now this one is finally out..

·
Registered
64 Posts
How is that top vent for noise?
I had a GT-Air which was fine in a head wind or a tail wind but any kind of cross wind would cause it to literally whistle. Kind of disappointing as it was a great fit and otherwise quiet to boot. Ended up selling it after 3 weeks and going for a Nolan N104.

·
Hammer Down
1,830 Posts
How is that top vent for noise?
I had a GT-Air which was fine in a head wind or a tail wind but any kind of cross wind would cause it to literally whistle. Kind of disappointing as it was a great fit and otherwise quiet to boot. Ended up selling it after 3 weeks and going for a Nolan N104.
I've ridden about 400 miles in this helmet on my Multistrada...most of which is with an MRA sport screen so it's been full wind. There is a slight difference in noise volume when it is opened or closed. There is a very slight whistle whether opened or closed. Maybe it's because I'm wearing earplugs that I can hear the whistle. I didn't hear the whistle at all times either, tended to be when no other vehicle was in front of me and I was doing around 45mph. If I were listening to music, no way I'd hear it. I have pretty sensitive hearing so YMMV.

·
Hammer Down
1,830 Posts
By the way, I threw on a couple stickers this morning...I'm loving the 70s Ducati logo on the chin but not so sure about the one I put on the back. I bought them from the same seller on ebay but the red on the back sticker isn't the same color red (even though it appears maybe so in pictures) as the one on the logo. Both seem to be a high quality vinyl.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts