Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 ST3 is featured in the "Smart Money" section (page 90) of the October 2009 "Motorcyclist" magazine. As a used 2005 model, the article shows a suggested value of $8,170.

I shopped mine as a trade-in. A Euro bike store offered me only $4000, while a shop that sells the Japanese bikes offered $5,000.

I'm feeling sick. I know there is a recession underway. I know I'm in the wrong part of the country (Midwest), but is that all there is?

Any forum members been exposed to re-sale values lately? Maybe I can sell it to the magazine editor. Fill me in...please!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I find eBay to be a good gauge of what something is actually worth because you can search "Completed Auctions" and see what things sold for.

You're never going to get a good price on a trade-in unless the dealer is making a ton on the new purchase.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Got 5100 for an 04 at trade in. Sil pipes, cycle cat risers, shade under 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It only worth what someone will pay.
I was reading that mag as well and had a chuckle.
In Canuckstan some dealers are trying to get $10-11k for a 2005 ST3.
I bought my 2004 ST4S with low miles at $8000cdn.

I'm watching one of the Canadian sites on vintage bikes and laughing hard at the dreamers trying to sell bikes that were dogs in thier days as now highly sought after items.Some guy wants 15grand for an H2.

·
Registered
272 Posts
you have to keep in mind a motorcycle shop would only be buying it to turn around and sell it. If they gave you a good price, they wouldn't make any money. Trade in value is always going to be a lot less than what a bike is actually worth and honestly they're going to try to get you to take as little as humanly possible for it.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Yep, my 999 NADA'd for 8500-11500 range back when i sold it privately for 9k...with tons of extras. Ouch. Oh well. Trade-ins will suck ya dry these days as it's all about moving inventory...not replacing a shiny new bike with a nice used one on the showroom floor.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It is worth more than you think. The appreciation of the Euro is pushing up new prices. In the UK second had bike are in huge demand because the new ones are going up so much due to the currency.

This side of the pond it is always a last resort selling to a dealer. When I sold my CBR 7 years ago I got 50% more privately than with dealer offered

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the sad news. Guess I'll keep plugging away at selling it myself.

Anyone want to buy some GE stock?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Time of the year plays a role too. Lots more people are selling than buying right now. College aged kids are heading back to school and selling. New riders that just tried it out for the summer are selling. Lot's of people looking to sell for lots of reasons are selling. Very few people are buying at the end of the summer. And to add insult to injury, savvy buyers that understand the seasonal market cycles are willing to wait another few months until desperation really sets in among sellers.

For what it's worth, I bought my 05 last year in late spring (just when the market is heating up) for $7500. It had a bit over 11k miles and was *showroom* clean with some useful extras like a givi rack, heli bars, throttlemeisters, and various other goodies. The articles suggestion of $8200 strikes me as optimistic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts