Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

shock spring replacement

28K views 86 replies 37 participants last post by  w0mb2t 
#1 ·
Read a long term update in Motorcyclist magazine and they said the spring on the Ohlins needs to be replaced if you weigh more than 170lbs, as this will really help the handling and feel of the bike. Has anyone done this and does anyone besides Ohlins sell the spring? They also said if you planned on riding 2 up a great deal then an even heavier spring should be used. Any input would be appreciated. I know my wife will probably ride on the back some but not a great deal so the bike needs to be set up more for me riding alone, but ifthe heavier spring is not too stiff for my single riding it would make sense to install the heavier. Fully suited up I weigh in at about 220Lbs

#2 ·
There are different companies that would sell a spring that would work but it won't be yellow. So if you want the yellow then you have to get an Ohlins. You don't have to talk to only Ohlins just you need to talk to an Ohlins dealer.

For you I would give KWS a call and see if they can help you out.

#4 ·
Yup, just called my dealer & they'll cover it. Thanks for the info guys!

#8 ·
Replaced under warranty. Big improvement. I'm probably 220# w/ gear, and strangely the rear feels more plush w/ the stiffer spring. Thinking of doing the fronts to address the dive under hard braking.

#15 ·
Zen, I called Ohlins & they said anyone from their dealer network can order them. I'm having Ducati Newport install the 7.5 front with the 100 rear spring.

#17 ·
Rear Shock and Front Springs

I had issues with the 1200 scraping pegs and knocking my feet off the pegs in corners. With a lot of research, we talked to Ohlins directly and they offered (at that time) either the standard Multi spring or something a lot stronger/stiffer (about like 3X the standard).

I took the plung and after the tech pulled all of the plumbing out to install it - the bike is a whole new beast. Much improved ride.

For the front - we ordered new springs from Ohlins as well. Took months as the device that is used to take off the front shock covers/caps is unique. Of course. The nut has "dimples" in it. Requires a special high-dollar Ducati ratchet attachment.

Once done - the bike is much better stuited to my 190 lbs and riding style.

I would suspect that by now, there are other replacement shock springs and front springs. The after-market matures with time.

Lee

2010 - Ducati Multistrada MS1200 Touring
2010 - BMW R1200RT

#19 ·
me too...

i've also been having problems with scraping my boots in turns. i'm ~230lbs geared up and it seems that a stiffer spring set would help.

so... it looks like there are a couple of options: 7.5 and 100n/mm (from borracho) or 3x stiffer from ohlin (lee)...

as borracho asks, lwood, do you have any more details (and was it covered under warranty)?

#21 ·
Springs and Things

i've also been having problems with scraping my boots in turns. i'm ~230lbs geared up and it seems that a stiffer spring set would help.

so... it looks like there are a couple of options: 7.5 and 100n/mm (from borracho) or 3x stiffer from ohlin (lee)...

as borracho asks, lwood, do you have any more details (and was it covered under warranty)?

Gentlemen,

I just checked with the Duc Shop here in Atlanta and they replaced the front springs with .75 from Ohlins. The rear was a 100n/mm also from Ohlin.

Since the shop is not a true Ducati dealer but rather a fantastic overall shop that also does a lot of great work with racers - I paid for the pieces parts and labor. It was not a warranty issue - at the time I was not aware of this problem.

Lee

#25 ·
Just got the conversion. For you data geeks out there, I measured the stock spring at 0.460" diameter, and the new spring 0.462". Doesn't seem like much of a difference, but the spring rate changes as the 4th power of the diameter. 85 going to 100 spring rate (my calcs say 95, but there's always measurement error...) sanity checks.

#27 ·
My dealer here in Dallas is not hooking me up with shit. SO I called my local suspension guy who also did all the work on my track bike. I can get a 100 rear spring for $89. But with my weight (260-290lbs) I need something along the lines of 122 so we're gonna see if another brand spring will fit the Ohlins shock. Will keep y'all updated.

#29 ·
i just put on the 100 rear and the bike is definitely more planted than ever before. i had to pay for the spring and the labor but it was worth it.
My bike is in the shop now.
I called a couple of weeks ago to ask about (among other things) replacing the spring under warranty. They confirmed they could do that so I made an appointment to drop the bike off. I took the required time off work last Thursday for the 100 mile round trip to do so, and inconvenienced my son (who had to miss some work) to meet me there and give me a ride back.

Hearing nothing from them since, I finally called yesterday to ask about its status. Late yesterday afternoon I got an email telling me that Ducati used to replace the spring under warranty, but have since stopped doing so.

They said they have springs in stock, and will happily replace it for me at their regular price:
- spring $120
- Labor $120

I have changed springs in the past a few times. Its not very difficult.
How hard is it to get the shock off this bike? Mine is still in the shop so I can;t go out to the garage and look at it.

#33 ·
thanx

Thanx for the post, I will order and drop off the spring at powder coat before install...

Going Ducati Red to match , no yellow for me.....

GB

Attachments

#34 ·
Not to Hi-jack things, but GEE BEE are you running a De-cat with that Akrapovic slip-on? If so, which one? That looks like a nice setup.

On-topic. I think I'm going to have to do this. I'd love to see some info on how to do change the spring if Ducati has stopped doing it. I just haven't been comfortable with cornering on this bike like I want to be. It feels really unstable mid-corner. I ride on rough back-roads so like to leave it in touring most of the time but lately I've been trying sport mode and it does seem a bit better but if I hit a big bump it'll loose traction. I think a strong spring should help it feel more planted in touring mode. Thoughts?

Also, what are people doing for the front springs (part numbers/options etc.)? Thanks for providing the rear part numbers!

I've thought about checking the sag on the bike in the different modes but it sounds like I might as well upgrade first as it appears it will be out of spec right away.

#36 ·
I would contact the email I provided. He is a pretty big Ohlins dealer so he'd be able to give you the part numbers etc... I'm not too worried about the front yet since the travel on these forks are pretty long but that will need to be replaced with a 1.05 for me as well.

#37 ·
Hey? Don't flame me outta the forum here, but all this switch/swap/new shock, big shock, talk....

Everyone has exhausted trying different settings first right?

You know, one of the big reasons we bought this bike, it can change on the fly, 16 presets for suspension... Infinite combinations in a blink...

When you look at default settings, they seem to leave a bit to be desired if you're worried about too soft. The only default that I see that is "full hard" is the Sport two riders/bag option that is rear Comp=0 and rear Reb=0 preload=16

Sport 1rider/bags is RC=5 RR=15 RP=16

I'm 230# w/o gear and I just wanted the free shock swap too, so I took her in and had the Multistrada trained guy and their suspension guy help me out. They did some quick measuring and figuring and we popped a zip tie on the forks and....and...etc. Verdict, "hey you're plenty stiff, try tweaking settings, take some notes, if you have to come back and tell us what it isn't doing right and we'll go that route before a swap.
I didn't spend 2 hours total. Between a section of nice tight twisty road with a preceding straight, some hard braking a few wheelies and some notes. Combined with some Left thumb time to change settings.

and...

I raced last weekend, mountain course, rain, wet, dry, elevation, at 230# I'm feeling mad dialed in, maybe a bit more fork PL, already did 1full turn. We'll see

#40 ·
You can definitely adjust the suspension to be relatively happy but a 75 spring is still soft for your weight. With a soft spring you're forcing the shock to do all the work instead of having the spring aid and dampen the movement of the suspension. Not to mention if you ever carry a passenger you'll be limited even more. Bottom line is the suspension was never meant to operate at above its efficiency although it can. You want a spring that you can adjust in such way that +- 100lbs you can dial it in within its efficiency.

Besides, at my lightest I'm 270lbs. On season I get up to 300lbs without gear so the stock spring is screaming right now :D

does anyone know the dimensions of the stock spring on the Ohlins shock. Racetech can make one but I need the dimensions to order it. Length, coil thickness, total width
I'm going to find out next week when I take the bike to my suspension guy. He's going to see what aftermarket springs would fit the MTS since I need a 120+ rear.

#38 ·
Good point Epee; I had thought of that but was going on the information presented here and other places that the spring was meant for a lighter rider (I'm at 195 with gear). It does make sense to get in there and start playing with the settings as that's part of why we bought this bike.

I need to find a suspension expert to help me check the sag etc. in the different settings to see how things look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.