Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read a long term update in Motorcyclist magazine and they said the spring on the Ohlins needs to be replaced if you weigh more than 170lbs, as this will really help the handling and feel of the bike. Has anyone done this and does anyone besides Ohlins sell the spring? They also said if you planned on riding 2 up a great deal then an even heavier spring should be used. Any input would be appreciated. I know my wife will probably ride on the back some but not a great deal so the bike needs to be set up more for me riding alone, but ifthe heavier spring is not too stiff for my single riding it would make sense to install the heavier. Fully suited up I weigh in at about 220Lbs

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
There are different companies that would sell a spring that would work but it won't be yellow. So if you want the yellow then you have to get an Ohlins. You don't have to talk to only Ohlins just you need to talk to an Ohlins dealer.

For you I would give KWS a call and see if they can help you out.

·
You're gonna love my nuts...
1,658 Posts
Yup, just called my dealer & they'll cover it. Thanks for the info guys!

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Read a long term update in Motorcyclist magazine and they said the spring on the Ohlins needs to be replaced if you weigh more than 170lbs, as this will really help the handling and feel of the bike. Has anyone done this and does anyone besides Ohlins sell the spring? They also said if you planned on riding 2 up a great deal then an even heavier spring should be used. Any input would be appreciated. I know my wife will probably ride on the back some but not a great deal so the bike needs to be set up more for me riding alone, but ifthe heavier spring is not too stiff for my single riding it would make sense to install the heavier. Fully suited up I weigh in at about 220Lbs
Is this true for both 2010 and 2011 Multis?

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
had mine replaced ( at my cost ) for the stiffer spring. bout 17% stiffer apparently. i mentioned recently that if you are a fat f..cker like me, the first money spent on this beast should be the rear spring - a great improvement to ride.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Replaced under warranty. Big improvement. I'm probably 220# w/ gear, and strangely the rear feels more plush w/ the stiffer spring. Thinking of doing the fronts to address the dive under hard braking.

·
Registered
533 Posts
strangely the rear feels more plush w/ the stiffer spring. Thinking of doing the fronts to address the dive under hard braking.
That makes sense as it keeps your shock in the correct valving range and travel. Def do the front too and your bike will handle like it's on rails when the front and rear are equally balanced :)

-Dave

·
1,658 Posts
So where do you get the fork springs?

·
1,658 Posts
Not sure, I can ask Tuesday when I call them.

·
1,658 Posts
Zen, I called Ohlins & they said anyone from their dealer network can order them. I'm having Ducati Newport install the 7.5 front with the 100 rear spring.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Rear Shock and Front Springs

I had issues with the 1200 scraping pegs and knocking my feet off the pegs in corners. With a lot of research, we talked to Ohlins directly and they offered (at that time) either the standard Multi spring or something a lot stronger/stiffer (about like 3X the standard).

I took the plung and after the tech pulled all of the plumbing out to install it - the bike is a whole new beast. Much improved ride.

For the front - we ordered new springs from Ohlins as well. Took months as the device that is used to take off the front shock covers/caps is unique. Of course. The nut has "dimples" in it. Requires a special high-dollar Ducati ratchet attachment.

Once done - the bike is much better stuited to my 190 lbs and riding style.

I would suspect that by now, there are other replacement shock springs and front springs. The after-market matures with time.

Lee

2010 - Ducati Multistrada MS1200 Touring
2010 - BMW R1200RT

·
1,658 Posts
Lee, did you go with the 7 or 7.5 front springs?

·
Registered
187 Posts
me too...

i've also been having problems with scraping my boots in turns. i'm ~230lbs geared up and it seems that a stiffer spring set would help.

so... it looks like there are a couple of options: 7.5 and 100n/mm (from borracho) or 3x stiffer from ohlin (lee)...

as borracho asks, lwood, do you have any more details (and was it covered under warranty)?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have 3 questions for those who get their springs replaced under warranty:

1) is it an Ohlins spring?
2) what are the exact specs of this spring?
3) Why would Ducati not cover the labor if it is something to be replaced under warranty?

thanks!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts