Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the shock's travel/progressive rate, affected by the ride height adjuster, ie are they're functions independent of each other?

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Yeah the ride height is completely separate from the shock but it will effect your preload. After you change your ride height you should check your preload to see if it is still correct.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Huh? Is that different from the adjustable linkage on the ST4S? I didn't think that affects the shock preload. Or am I wrong?

I just raised the back end 10mm last night, but haven't been able to sag it and ride it.

Oh, Frank, that's 'race sag.' LOL

:)

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually my ST3 has no adjuster. I'm trying to prioritize, in the middle of winter, the few modicfication dollars I have, and a ride height adjusting linkage arm's on the list, but, I'm not sure how it might affect the shock's ability to compress/rebound once extended to the recommended 1-2cms gap between the rear tire and the ground. IIRC it doesn't affect pre-load, but I though travel may be a different issue considering the progressive rate linkage, and I wouldn't want to reduce the shock's ability to travel fully within its design paramaters in exchange for quickened steering. My concern is with rear tire traction, so I guess my questions are, "Will rear tire traction be compromised as a result of reduced shock travel when the rear end is raised using the adjusting arm?" and, "Would I have to rework both preload and damping everytime I raise/lower the ride height?"

(but then again, as Liquid points out, I use a "laidened" sag figure, not a "racing" sag figure so maybe it wouldn't be an issue for me. LOL!!)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thank you ST2.

I thought that whole tilting motion was keeping the same shock settings intact.

Now could you do something about that obscene avatar. Snow on a Duc, yuck! ;)

:)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Frank, I highly recommend that you consider adding the ride height adjustment to your ST3. For the money, it is a very big handling improvement. I bet you can build one yourself or have a friend with some metal working machines work on it with you.

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think you are being very astute in being concerned with the geometry change vs. linkage position. As it is some type of (razing?) rate linkage your going to start in a different part of the range. What I think you will find is that the effect is rather minimal in the overall scope and won't likely be a practical issue. Isn't the ST3 sort of patterned on the 851 and even Monster type geometry? I personally would not want to make big changes to the trail by razing the rear by huge amounts, it is an ST rig and a little fine tuning won't hurt. The 851 guys often raise their bikes up a lot.

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not having a lot of experience with exploring the relationship between ride height and progressive rates in a system where the ride height adjuster is part of the progressive rate linkage, my concern is with traction. I can't help but think that "something has to give somewhere" in terms of the shock's compression/rebound travel in a system which AFAIK, is designed to compress and rebound from top and bottom at the pivot points, as opposed to bottom only like conventional set-ups with one point fixed.

AFAIK, the ST3 frame is the same as or descended from the 851, and has fairly steep geometry for a ST, 24 degrees, same as the ST4s, so, there doesn't seem to be to many complaints about rear slides, *or* (amazingly) tankslappers from that crowd, who mostly rave about the "balanced handling" once the rear's jacked-up a bit, and I guess one should trust the factory re possible safety issues, ie they wouldn't have one if it posed too much risk, right?.

Now, another issue: It's money spent, but no bling factor. But not too much from what I understand, so, I may add it come spring if I can find a good alternative to Ducati's higher priced version.

·
Registered
108 Posts
This past summer I added an adjustable ride height rod to my ST3. I ended up raising the rear about 5/8"-3/4", so that the rear just almost touches the ground.

The result was a bike with much better turn in, more clearance for cornering without hitting the center stand, and also a much better two-up riding experience.

Simple mod, and very highly recommended.

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK, so where are we getting aftermarket adjusters? If there are none out there and I have to go OEM I take it the one for a ST4 will go directly on the ST3?

I can't swing the Penske right now so this will have to do.

Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts