Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys what shock options are there for a SC mono shock?
And has any one got one going cheap?

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I used a Penske 8983. That was long job, because the one delivered by Penske was setup completely wrong...spring rate, valving, everything. And the vendor was totally useless in sorting in out so I ended up having to sort it pretty much myself, with help from Peske directly.

Now it works great. I weight 190, and final setup is 225 lb/inch spring, 35 mm rider sag, "A" stack on compression, "B" stack on rebound. Both damping adjustments are set on the lighter side of the midpoint for comfortable street riding, but can be stiffened up nicely for the track or more aggressive street riding. It has a bit less travel than the OEM Sachs, but I never bottom it even on crappy roads. I think they go for about US$950 new. The effective adjustment range is very large on the damping, and the preload adjustment mechanism is far superior to the double locking ring type. It also has ride height adjustment independent of preload.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Emulsion Penske for ~$500 You give up compression adjust, but it is a solo bike, so if they set it up right, how often do you fart around with the adjustment?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Emulsion Penske for ~$500 You give up compression adjust, but it is a solo bike, so if they set it up right, how often do you fart around with the adjustment?
Why would you want to give up compression damping if you have it even on the stock version? Whats the benefit then? I am not sure but I think this one does not even have an external gas container. I would not go in that direction. Probably Ohlins is the best solution but thats pretty expensive though.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
The problem with the Ohlins is that Ducati worked out some kind of deal with Ohlins to only offer the shock for our bikes through Ducati Performance. It can't be bought through a regular Ohlins dealer. Thus, it costs about twice what it would otherwise, and also about twice what you would pay for another brand with equal performance. Very annoying.

They are pretty though, and seem to work well, if you can afford one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The problem with the Ohlins is that Ducati worked out some kind of deal with Ohlins to only offer the shock for our bikes through Ducati Performance. It can't be bought through a regular Ohlins dealer. Thus, it costs about twice what it would otherwise, and also about twice what you would pay for another brand with equal performance. Very annoying.

They are pretty though, and seem to work well, if you can afford one.
Yeah, I went through all that , and this was the main reason for me to choose the Wilbers one. At least it was easy to get it from Germany. Changing only the rear without touching the front is not the best option. I would definitely have the front forks respringed at least in order to harmonize with the better rearshock.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I have a wilbers type632. Adjustable preload, rebound, slow and fast compression and height. Used for 500 miles than sold my bike. Bought it for 1050usd but its xours for 600. U can check it at www.wilbers.de.
I had a Wilbers on my Monster and it was fantastic. More capable than me as a rider for sure. Superb quality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts