Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my OEM Ducati carbon fiber pieces are still mounted on my bikes without the temptation of being replaced after all these years. They are still in good condition, not cracked, beat-up, but 10-16 years later they are looking a little haggard. Without either lacquering or clear-coating the fenders, is there another way to bring back the luster?

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
If they are yellowed, then there's nothing that will make them look much better unless you clearcoat them and use a little black tint to mask the yellow.
If they are dull, you can buff them with a fine or heavy cut cleaner depending on how bad they are.

DT

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Tip - silicon spray. BUT!! Take the carbon fibre pieces off the bike, take them far away and then spray and wipe over with a rag - you don't want any over-spray getting onto your painted bodywork.

·
Still lurking about. . .
332 Posts
I have had success with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. The rear hugger on my ST4S has been kept looking like new by using this product. It also works great on most plastics that have micro abrasions that you would like to be rid of, cell phone displays being a good example.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Respraying clear coat is no biggie at all, and can be done with with a rattle can. You will need to do some research on prep, but really, it's not a big deal at all. That's a project that I'm about to undertake myself as the clear seems to be essentially gone.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, it seems that the older Ducati MS carbon fiber had thin clear coat and turns dull over the years. I'm just trying to freshen it up without clear-coating it if I can.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
MS production parts are generally not cleared, you are dealing with the resin surface in most cases. But it can still be buffed to some degree with most any cleaner or compound.

·
Bon Vivant
10,791 Posts
Be careful, carbon is very porous and retains wax and grease that accumulates over the years. Carbon is notorious for fish-eye problems and very tough to cover.

Use a lot of preps-all or prep-sol and clean thoroughly with grease cutting soap and water. spray thin dry coats let it dry with a dull shine then sand and re-shoot with a wet finish. If you get a lot of texture from the weave you'll have to do multiple coats and sand in between to get the surface smooth and shiny.

I just painted a friends bike, the carbon was problematic.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Just sand them and prepp them ad drop them off at your local paint shop; they'll shoot the clear next time they top coat something wich it probably means the same day. Most of the time they don't even bother charging you, at least is what happend to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts