Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently in the process of getting some shims for my 2002 998 as I am doing a valve adjustment. I cannot believe how difficult it is to find them. All of the dealerships have said it will take about a week to get them. I just talked to a parts guy at a dealership and he said that dealerships dont keep a large assortment of parts any more. I know a kit would be better, but I want individual shims at the moment. Im not sure if others have had this difficulty.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
In the past EMS would sell you individual shims only if you bought a kit from
him he would also allow trading shims if you were a kit customer but this was
years ago
. Since I bought a kit back then and owned 3 bikes that all used the
same shims I have a large selection of shims now.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
In the past EMS would sell you individual shims only if you bought a kit from
him he would also allow trading shims if you were a kit customer but this was
years ago
. Since I bought a kit back then and owned 3 bikes that all used the
same shims I have a large selection of shims now.
I've bought individual shims from Mike at EMS quite a few times... never bought a kit. Just confirmed with MotoWheels a few months ago that they'd sell individuals. I eneded up buying from LT as he had them all and it was easy.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I will probably give one of them a call. I found a nearby dealership who said they could get at least one size in a couple of days. However, I am skeptical of that quick turn around.

I have one more question. I measuring my closing shims with a JMP shim measuring tool that I got some time ago. The length of the tool is not 10mm but 9.5. I assume that I subtract 9.5 from the measurement rather than 10mm, correct?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have mine ground by the local tool & die shop the shims are through hardened so grinding them on a surface grinder is not a problem
If you can't locate a tool shop find a grinding shop that sharpens big paper shear knife blades I hand him 5 or so at a time only takes a bottle of Jameson & 1/2 hour & I'm out the door

BTW I used to drive myself nuts trying to get the perfect clearance on my openers till I finally decided what's it going to matter if it's a couple thou loose BFD I'd rather have them loose than right on "spec" to bairly drag a feeler gage through a tight? one especially the exhausts I can't hear it clatter 0.002 loose over a open dry clutch anyway.

The closers are another story those can't or shouldn't be loose

Reactions: bykemike

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
You can also sand down your shims if they're a bit thick - put some 180-220 grit on top of a piece of glass and sand in a figure-eight pattern. It takes awhile but it's saved me from re-ordering. I should just buy the kit, sometimes I'm too cheap for my own good.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can also sand down your shims if they're a bit thick - put some 180-220 grit on top of a piece of glass and sand in a figure-eight pattern. It takes awhile but it's saved me from re-ordering. I should just buy the kit, sometimes I'm too cheap for my own good.
Your last statement summarizes how I feel as well.

·
Registered
585 Posts
A knife honing stone works great! Slather on some Motul to your stone & go to town.

Been there done that

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just went ahead and bought the kit (in my case the larger 8mm 2V shims) in fact, everytime I buy a Ducati I buy a valve shim kit. All the time it takes to gain valve access (not so much with the 2V engines) and get all set up to do the rather complex adjustment procedure I would go nuts having to wait for the needed shims and hope I had it all measured correctly, etc.

It is well worth it to get that off the table and just have a shim kit sitting right there. Having all the shims and being able to squeak some fine tuning clearance by surfacing the shims makes the adjustment a one day deal in most cases. When I sell the bike (always do at some point) I can usually get back most of the money selling the kit either to the buyer or on the ;Bay,

That said if anyone out there needs a 2V shim on a buy or a swap basis let me know, maybe we can do a little business,

·
Registered
585 Posts
Come to think of it let's say if you disassembled your 2021 SFV4 all the way down needed to get the valve covers off took it to your dealer told them 'adjust the valves only' PERIOD how much would it cost for labor alone no parts?

What ever number that is......How long did it actually take? Did they honestly do it?

Reason I'm asking by the time I get to my valves (HM1100DS) just checking it & changing both opener shims takes me a good 2 hours & I have all the tools to do it plus im anal. That said I'm thinking a V4 would take 3 to 4 hours just doing valves alone & that's not tearing down the bike just getting to the valves.

At $105 an hour shop rate no wonder a Desmo service is over a grand & that's not including changing oil & filter, Dot 4 fluids, lube chain, spark plugs, air filter, tires if heeded & whatever else you broke riding it.

That also explanes why there's so many bikes for sale with 4 to 6 thousand miles on the clock it either scared them to death riding it, service is coming up, out of warrantee, knocked up the GF or whatever the reason.

Reactions: chris_f
1 - 20 of 30 Posts