Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a set of what I think are '99+ie heads (no cooling fins on the tops, and no tach drive)

I'm second guessing the placement of the shims that go on the rocker shafts.
My opener rockers have shims on either side of the spring clips, but there is no shim between opener arm and the head - so as the rocker arm rotates up and down it would be wearing against the inside of the head, is this correct? Looking at the parts diagrams on Stein-Dinse it is correct for a '99, but would not have been correct on a carby model. It looks like carbys have a total of four shims on each opener rocker shaft, and the ie's have only two?
The slightly twisted nature of the spring clips takes up any side-to-side movement of the opener arm, but there is available end play (room for a shim) if you apply slight sideways pressure to the spring clip.

On a related note, how much end play should a cam shaft have? I can't find a spec for that in my manual.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
i was going to say not between rocker and head on any sliding rocker head i've seen, but now i'm doubting myself lest i look like a dick head. i have a carby head in bits, it's see if the opening rocker shafts have a shim on that end. sure they don't.

cam pulley nut pulls the cam hard against the rh bearings. no end float.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
My late ['99] heads have a shim between the head and the rocker. When I built the heads I shimmed the rocker tip to be centered on the valve stem. It worked out that three of the shims were .2 mm and one .3. I feel better with a shim between the head and rocker because even with no appreciable side load on the rocker it could wear into the head. Thinking back, all the rockers on my other [bevel and belt] engines have shims there.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Brad.
So the shim thickness for the other end of the camshaft (away from the pulley) doesn't matter too much I guess? Just make sure it's not putting any load on the bearings, right?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel better with a shim between the head and rocker because even with no appreciable side load on the rocker it could wear into the head.
That's what I'm thinking also.

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
The shims on the clips are to prevent the clips from ejecting as the rocker rotates. Other than that the shims are just for alignment so if you have clearance and good alignment of the rockers o the cam lobes then you are good to go.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, thanks all. I'll leave things as they are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts