Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any tips on shimming the crank on the 11* motors with the spherical bearings, like my 2013 multistrada 1200?

In the 2010 mts manual they give the shimming procedure to add .3mm preload.

The later manuals (checked a 2014 mts, a 2015 mts, 2016 monster (which my crank came out of), and a 2017 mts) just say they include 2.05mm shims as spares and “proceed as follows to determine the total SA height of the shimming:” with no direction on how to find SA or what to do with it. The next step in the manual is how to shim the transmission shafts.

Kind of guessing you’d just shim off the right side spherical roller bearing to center the rod journal in the cases but would like some input before proceeding.

I now know that preloading the bearings with this configuration leads to the crank riding on the left main bearing housing which isn’t good (because the left side straight cylindrical roller bearing can’t/ doesn’t take any preload) .

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also noticed this in the 2014 manual (that doesn’t include a shimming procedure for the crank)

“Check that the crankshaft can be turned with a certain amount of interference with the main bearings (the crankshaft should have a pre-load of 0.20 to 0.30 mm); check also that all the parts you have fitted are free to rotate or move correctly.”

Probably why I preloaded them. Amazing how bad Ducati sucks at these workshop manuals.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had a revelation, wondered why I didn’t put the crank back in the original monster 1200 cases that it came out of with the original shims (haven’t touched the main bearings in these cases). Put it together and measured .030” of clearance. Problem solved. Figured I’d post incase anyone else was wondering.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts