Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the better tool for measuring shims a Digital Caliper or Digital Micrometer? Also what is the accuracy and resolution required of these tools to accurately measure the shims?
Oh yeah, one more question. Where's a good place to buy digital calipers & micrometers?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Optimally, a micrometer for the openers and a caliper for the closers. Also, a closer measurement tool is absolutely necessary to get your closer shim thicknesses.

But that said, you can measure both the openers and closers with a micrometer. Its just that with a mic you have to go around the perimeter of the closer shim and its not quite as accurate as a caliper. But it will do in a pinch if you have to.

Now with a just a caliper and the closer measurement tool, you can zero out on the tool then use it inside the bottom of the opener shim and measure the thickness of the opener.

I have included a diagram showing the closer measurement tool in use.

www.mcmaster.com has micrometers and calipers for decent prices.

Hope I havent completely confused you!
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Now on the subject of resolution: The shims come in .05 mm (.0019 in) increments. I use a micrometer with .001 mm resolution and a caliper with .01 mm resolution. You could go with lesser resolution, but then I find the accuracy to not be very good. You get what you pay for. Its frustrating to measure your shims with a cheap mic or caliper and then order shims and they are not the correct size.

Mike

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Some other sources: www.mscdirect.com
If you're going to buy micrometers or calipers, go with a known name like Mitutoyo, Fowler, Brown & Sharp, or Starrett. They will last a life time if taken care of and are only a few bucks over the "economy" brands.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts