Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
not if you are careful

Only try it with light throttle openings- not wide open.
Race shifters can allow a change with an open throttle by interrupting the ignition spark momentarily.

The principle is the same; no clutchless changes while the engine is 'pulling' as contrasted to 'coasting'.

Away from the track, whether the maintenance/wear/money you save on clutch plates is more than you spend on gear cogs -to make this worthwhile- I dont have an answer for that.

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,245 Posts
I upshift all the time at all rpm´s and even with WOT. But you need to have a good "feel" for when it´s right to do it. But most of the time it´s even smoother then using the clutch..

Downshifting without clutch isn´t advisable..

//amullo

·
Registered
263 Posts
When motivated, or when my hand is tired, I use clutchless upshifts quite a bit. I also do it all rpms. The only thing I do differently is back off the throttle ever-so-slightly to unload the drivetrain before toeing the lever. I honestly cannot feel a difference between using the clutch or not when using this method. I still use the clutch most of the time so I won't wear down the engagement dogs prematurely (or so I've been told this could happen).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys. i took a 200 mile trip saturday, and my hand was killin me. so i started lettin off the throttle instead of clutching it. worked good, just didnt know if it was bad to do.

·
Registered
54 Posts
clutchless shifting

Are we only talking about upshifting? My understanding that is ok if you blip the throttle down during the upshift. I have been under the impression to always engage the clutch for downshifts.

I recently installed a Yoyodyne clutch slave, and it is decreasing my left arm soreness that would occur after hours in the mountain twisties.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
You can do downshifts as well, but I normally only do it if really ncessary, like last week when I had a clutch pump problem and only wanted to use the clutch when absolutely ncessary.

When I was a kid, I learned to drive the car without using the clutch, so no problem doing it on bikes. I once had to drive my Z28 through 3 miles of rush-hour traffic with no clutch after the clutch-linkage broke.

Tom

·
Registered
778 Posts
stickcar1990, it's fine. Like you said, for upshifts you roll off the throttle for a split second. When you get the feel just right, you won't be able to tell the difference between clutched and non-clutched shifts. There are also a couple of "sweet spots" that feel almost like it "sucks" the shift into the next gear like butter. It helps if you lightly preload the shifter just before rolling off.

You can also clutchless downshift. Be sure to preload the shifter just before you blip (rev match) the throttle. It may take just a little more finesse than upshifts, but if you already learned clutchless upshifting you are already more than halfway there. Most of it is getting the feel. The mechanics of it are the easy part.

I've been doing this for over a decade on and off the track with no ill effect on any of my bikes.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I do both -- up and down -- but more up than down. Especially when accelerating hard with the throttle WFO (blipping at each upshift). Hauling in the clutch lever with the throttle open wastes time and runs the revs up (unless I'm already bouncing off the limiter ;) )...and generally throws off my mojo.

Down is a little trickier, though less so with the slipper clutch. I try not to do it too much though, so as not to overwork the slipper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts