Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I have my 1198 S with Sato rear sets and absolutely love these rear sets and while they impoved the shifting and ergonimcs they did not help much with the somewhat long throw required to shift. I have noticed on these bikes that if you just try and shift softly you can get false neutrals and this is both annoying and dangerous.

I decided I would try to modify the shift arm to change the ratio of the throw so I drilled a new hole and countersunk it about 12mm above the original hole. This produced shifts that were about 3/4 of an total travel and imposible to find neutral and effort was extremely hard. I then moved the linkage on the Sato lever to the closest hole to the pivot point this reduces effort and increases travel of the lever. I am very happy with this set up now it is easy to find neutral and still shifts easy but does take a little more effort and the travel is much shorter now.

I rode around for awhile tonight and after a few minutes I forgot about the shifting all together and never had 1 false neutral tonight and noticed that the bike just shifts very nice and positive now.

I took a few pics sorry I already put the lowers on so its kinda hard to see the lever I will take some better pics when I get a chance.

Les

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh anyone considering this mod I would reccomend only doing it with rear sets that have adjustable linkage and pivot points.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Your modification actually made your issue worse. Shortening the lever on the foot-control side increased the distance that the toe needs to move to get the same displacement at the shift rod.

Look at your shift lever at the transmission. If it's like the one on my 999, it's longer than the one on a Monster. I swapped for the shorter monster unit and the throw required at the toe was notably decreased.

Incidentally, the swap to the Monster shift lever enabled me to get GP shifting by simply mounting it upside-down and adjusting the shift rod length. No other modification required.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your modification actually made your issue worse. Shortening the lever on the foot-control side increased the distance that the toe needs to move to get the same displacement at the shift rod.

Look at your shift lever at the transmission. If it's like the one on my 999, it's longer than the one on a Monster. I swapped for the shorter monster unit and the throw required at the toe was notably decreased.

Incidentally, the swap to the Monster shift lever enabled me to get GP shifting by simply mounting it upside-down and adjusting the shift rod length. No other modification required.
I did not move the lever on the foot control side until after the mod to the trans side of the lever as I stated the throw was to short I then moved the foot control side closer to ease the shifting and add travel. Basically the travel is now about 1/2 of what is was stock and I am very pleased, but yes you are correct if I would have ONLY moved the linkage on the foot control side I would have made it worse.

Les

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Very clever.

When you refer to the "shift lever at the transmission" are you referring to the short lever that directly attaches to the transmission itself?

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Yes...........

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I did not move the lever on the foot control side until after the mod to the trans side of the lever as I stated the throw was to short I then moved the foot control side closer to ease the shifting and add travel. Basically the travel is now about 1/2 of what is was stock and I am very pleased, but yes you are correct if I would have ONLY moved the linkage on the foot control side I would have made it worse.

Les
Sorry....... I misread.........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts