Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tested this to see if it fits on the new 2012/SF848 tanks? I know the shape of the front of the tank changed but I've heard conflicting reports of small changes in the entire tank shape and size. I'd buy one to test myself but they have a no return policy.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
223 Posts
I..woudn't buy it yet..

I bought some tankslappers for the 09-11 SF model.. and thought the changes to the tank on the '12 tank would be small..

Well at least on the portion where the tank protector goes.. they don't fit... the "indent lines" that go upwards don't match, and given this area seems an important to make contact I don't think it lines up..

Still.. the best way to know would be if you can have someone to let you "test" if it works...

Not 100% sure though!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the 1098 and 848 tanks are the same for 2012 but they are not the same tank as the older bikes.

I don't think the shift tech tank guard will fit, it was made for the older tanks and if Guido won't let you try it then I would not buy it.
Shift-tech said they will test in the next few weeks, I've asked them to keep me informed. I'll post in this thread when I get an answer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi guys, I just had my tank replaced with the new shorter (58611861AQ) tank Monday and I reinstalled the Shift Tech tank protector and it did fit. The only thing I did was install new double sided tape that was a little thicker (1/32 thick).

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hi guys, I just had my tank replaced with the new shorter (58611861AQ) tank Monday and I reinstalled the Shift Tech tank protector and it did fit. The only thing I did was install new double sided tape that was a little thicker (1/32 thick).
Are you sure it fits perfectly? I got my tank replaced, and put my old Shift Tech cover on my new tank, and it is pretty close, but it does NOT fit. The double sided tape is not strong enough to bend the cover the small amount it needs to perfectly fit the tank. I have discussed this with Guido, which is probably part of the reason why he will not state that it fits until he can do an official test himself.

I know that I installed my tank protector correctly, as it is the second time I have done it, and it fit absolutely perfectly the first time, and the second it is 1-2mm away from fitting on all sides. But I wouldn't take my word for it, the only word I'd accept on if the Shift Tech works or not is Guido's word, and until he does an official test, you will just have to wait.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just recieved a reply from Shift Tech, according to them the carbon tank guard fits the new tanks.

"Dear seb5150,

Test fitted yesterday and it fits

We are currently out of
the office , please excuse the message to be so short."

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are you sure it fits perfectly? I got my tank replaced, and put my old Shift Tech cover on my new tank, and it is pretty close, but it does NOT fit. The double sided tape is not strong enough to bend the cover the small amount it needs to perfectly fit the tank. I have discussed this with Guido, which is probably part of the reason why he will not state that it fits until he can do an official test himself.

I know that I installed my tank protector correctly, as it is the second time I have done it, and it fit absolutely perfectly the first time, and the second it is 1-2mm away from fitting on all sides. But I wouldn't take my word for it, the only word I'd accept on if the Shift Tech works or not is Guido's word, and until he does an official test, you will just have to wait.
Yes I'm sure. I use loctite power grab outdoor mounting tape on the outer edge and also in the center and it held so far,we'll see how it holds up long term.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Received my Shift-Tech carbon tank guard and it fits almost perfectly. The upper corners don't quite lay down perfectly flat but the gap is very small. I'll post pictures later today.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I..woudn't buy it yet..

I bought some tankslappers for the 09-11 SF model.. and thought the changes to the tank on the '12 tank would be small..

Well at least on the portion where the tank protector goes.. they don't fit... the "indent lines" that go upwards don't match, and given this area seems an important to make contact I don't think it lines up..

Still.. the best way to know would be if you can have someone to let you "test" if it works...

Not 100% sure though!!
Should have searched for this but I bought a tankslapper kit and was planning on having it installed this week...should I not waste my time? Could a professional make it fit?

Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
I installed it anyways... No a professional won't make it fit... you can chop "the wings" that it has and should be fine...

Try it .. for the $15 it cost there is no losing.. I would suggest to buy the 3M film.. uncut in 4" wide strips..

·
Registered
180 Posts
I installed it anyways... No a professional won't make it fit... you can chop "the wings" that it has and should be fine...

Try it .. for the $15 it cost there is no losing.. I would suggest to buy the 3M film.. uncut in 4" wide strips..
hmm mine was closer to $40 with shipping...I bought this one...

Did you install it yourself? I've never done any work with 3M...was it easy or should I just have a pro do it? I was about to head over there today to get it done but if its DIYable, I'll try it myself...

·
Registered
223 Posts

Watch the video.. I didn't do it that fast.. but fairly simple.. use the mix he suggests and patience.. a good thing is .. if you don´t like how it fits.. just pull it.. and you can apply it again, as it has no "adhesive".. just don't let dust and dirt get in the way..

Clean the surface very well before applying..

Keep in mind it won't fit as you'd like due to a different tank...

Also.. If you don't like your install you can always remove it, put it in a wax paper and have a pro do it..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts