Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I replaced my clutch rod seals thinking that’s where the oil leak was coming from. However, it looks like the shift level is leaking from where it attaches to the engine. is this common and how do you replace seals there? Added bonus the hex nut is stripped as I tried to take it off and it was stripped by previous owner.

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
Tap the old one out, new one in. Lube it first, in and out . Many times you can use a small socket the right diameter to tap on the seal outer diameter so you don’t damage the seal area.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
if it is leaking from the clutch pushrod it is usually the sealant between the alternator cover and crankcases that has failed. check the cover screw behind the clutch slave is tight. if it's not, that's a good indication of it. remove the cover, clean and regoop.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. Can you explain this for soemone like me who is not too technically sound. Learning a lot over the months. Pics help!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looked today. Leaking from shift seal. Right where it is near the crankcase. How do I replace it and what part number is it? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
See #2 above. Make sure if there is a lip in the hole you tap it out from that side. If you call Ducati Omaha you can tell them what you need. Have year , model , serial number.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
You’ll need to remove the alternator cover. Tap the seal out, then tap the new one in. Lube it with some silicone grease before you put the cover back on.

Inspect all around the counter shaft sprocket for signs of a chain derailment. Often times such a derailment will crack the cover and sometimes the crankcase half too.

Either way you’ll need to remove the alternator cover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts