Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Spring broke and I got the updated shift parts comped. Total labor to remove side cover, change parts and change oil was just under 200.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Two days with the bike, shift lever stuck :(

My first ducati, two days after i bought it and i have to deal with this now, so upset :(

2008 1100s with only 3,600 miles, now i hope this is not going to set me back to much money wich i was planing on using for other things

Since this issue is been going on from the begining i will try to contact DNA and test how good they are with their customers

I just send them and email but if someone can post their direct phone number i will really apreciated your help, this is something that should not happen to anybody

Sorry but kind of dissapointed with this issue

·
7,733 Posts
My first ducati, two days after i bought it and i have to deal with this now, so upset :(

2008 1100s with only 3,600 miles, now i hope this is not going to set me back to much money wich i was planing on using for other things

Since this issue is been going on from the begining i will try to contact DNA and test how good they are with their customers

I just send them and email but if someone can post their direct phone number i will really apreciated your help, this is something that should not happen to anybody

Sorry but kind of dissapointed with this issue
You're going to contact DNA about an issue on a 2008? :confused: What do you expect they might do for you? :confused:

Apparently this issue is not all that uncommon with DS bottom end engines and fairly easy and not that expensive to adjust/correct.

Would you expect Honda to do anything for you if it was a four year old Honda? :confused:

·
Registered
607 Posts
You're going to contact DNA about an issue on a 2008? :confused: What do you expect they might do for you? :confused:

Apparently this issue is not all that uncommon with DS bottom end engines and fairly easy and not that expensive to adjust/correct.

Would you expect Honda to do anything for you if it was a four year old Honda? :confused:
It's a known issue. I bet they help him.

BTW, does anyone know the part numbers for what parts need to be changed (upgraded)? I'm about to change my flywheel so while the case is open I'd rather just switch them out.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I had it happen three times. The first two times the bike was under the ducati warranty. The second time it was under the extended warranty. Make sure that they use the upgraded kit, when the work is done. The mechanic that did the work the third time said that the upgraded kit was not used on the previous repair.

I switched shops for the third repair.

As far as I understand, it is a known issue with this bike because of the angle that you downshift places more force on the shifter arm as compared to other models that share the DS motor/tranny. This is because of the upright riding position. The arm will over extend itself and jam in place.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just joined the club. Exact same problem as everyone else. 2008 hyper 1100 with 3000 miles. Downshifted hard from 4th to 3rd when someone pulled out in front of me and that's all she wrote. After pulling over to check things out I was able to short out the neutral switch and ride the two miles home in 3rd.

Mainly bumping this thread so others can see it. This is my second hyper and I was completely unaware of this issue until right now. Not too happy that my bike will likely be out of commission for the upcoming 4 day weekend.

Out of curiosity, has anyone identified exactly which parts on the diagram are replaced? There are 3 different "return springs".

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just happened to me too 2008 1100s with 2600 miles had extended warranty. The said though about 350 if not. But datn didnt know anout the upgraded kit will call tomorrow and see what they put in

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's a known issue. I bet they help him.

BTW, does anyone know the part numbers for what parts need to be changed (upgraded)? I'm about to change my flywheel so while the case is open I'd rather just switch them out.
AFAIK, the Hyper 1100 and the Monster 1100 have the same engine so this should apply (I have a monster).

I just called the local dealer and he told me that they do an adjustment and just replace the following 2 springs:

799.1.482.1A Fork return spring
0799.13.110 Gearchange lever return spring

He had never heard of any "update/upgrade" kit.

I personally only changed the fork return spring, and I'm glad I did because the old one had some wear on it. The other one they did not have in stock and mine looked ok visually.

For more information, take a look at the thread I started in another sub-forum

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/252929-too-much-stroke-gearbox-drum-fork-youtube-video-pictures.html

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Well second time my shift lever breaks and gets stuck in 3rd gear.
I had a hell of a time tracking down the info regarding this problem so I want to update the thread with some numbers to keep handy in case it happens to you.

Last time it broke, I was riding in the north Bay, close to Hattar in San Rafael, CA. Limped into Hattar and they knew immediately what was wrong, had the kit to fix it. In and out the same day for under $200. Have put about 10,000 miles on it since then.

Today when it happened I again limped down to Motor Cafe in Sunnyvale, CA. They had no idea of what I was talking about and struggled to find any of the part numbers associated with the shifter. Quoted me over $400 to do a 'diagnostic' check on the bike's condition and make sure there were no other problems... etc. :rolleyes:
Motor Cafe services lots of other makes which is the only explanation I can come up with for this kind of treatment.

So the service bulletin for this problem is SVC-09-009
NHTSA: Action Number: 10029886
Ducati Service Bulletin Number: 253847

The part number you need is a kit: P/N 69924492A
Retail price is $47.50 at Pro Italia or Omaha Ducati

The other item Hattar installed was P/N 18010081A, the replacement control fork. Retail price is $25.43 at Omaha Ducati

When I had this fixed in 2012 they goodwilled the parts but not the labor. I'm trying to see what I can get covered this time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Help

Just ordered the 2 parts to fix this. Is this a DIY fix or is it difficult for the average joe with minimal engine work experience (clutch replacement, water housing maintenance/seal replacements). Would I be able to?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is there a thread with picture's of what the issues are and parts to be replaced? I have just brought a hypermotard and the gear lever is starting to jam into gears, I can still get it free with some brutal kicks at this stage.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts